964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Flatnose Turbo S on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:18 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Flatnose Turbo S on Ebay

I know this car has been talked about before. I was wondering if anyone had ever come up with a value on what a Limited Production car like this would be worth after it was repaired with a "Salvaged" title.

It looks as if the car might have spun backwards after the impact as well. If you look at the scratches on the engine bay valance. The car has had some water damage on the driver's side door panel, hence the warping and it looks as if the back seat carpet might had seen water was well. All four wheels hit the curb and will have to be replaced, air bag debris is all over the car along with a ripped steering wheel cover.

Furthermore, the car has wierd options and the higher mileage would have kept it from commanding a premium before it was wrecked.

Just wondering....
Old 01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Unhappy

That hurts to look at! She must have been a beauty, nice color.

Assuming the car is repairable to original driving condition and there aren't unforseen problems that are considerably more extensive, she is worth quite a bit
I would say probably worth $45k min in the condition she is in. The engine alone is worth 50% of that at least.

Question? Why did the insurance company pay off $126k instead of repairing the car? It looks as though it hit a curb and went for a flight ending up in the drink. In that case there might be much more damage than the obvious.

I was under the impression that only the last 39 or less 3.6's were converted to S models for the US market with a total of 51 or so including the S's with the factory engine modifications. Not 66 as mentioned. His statement of horsepower is way over rated. I know from someone who has one that the engine upgrade did not produce more than 400fwhp. You can achieve close to this with minor exhaust modifications with a standard 3.6. I do know that the guy with the S went up against some Stridels and definitly out powered them. That says a lot for ten year old technology.

Based on a couple of salvaged stock 3.6's I have seen with salvaged titles and needing extensive work they would not let the cars go for less than $30k needing $20k min repairs. This guy probably is looking to get $70k min for the car. Its a tough call. If you plan on keeping her and have a good shop to do the work it's worth looking into. She will never be worth what she was undamaged but you never know. The market on these cars is going up and probably will be worth considerably more in the future. If you can fix here properly for under $25k and get her for under $55k you have a very rare car for only < $80k. That's much better than >$100k that these cars are going for.

PS. I was told there are only something like 22 original S's left in existence.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected. I looked at his add again and realized I am in error. He states only 28 or so S's and 66 with the engine modifications which I still don't know if thats correct, since I am still awaiting a copy of Adrians book to be delivered. Next week I hope.

The warped side panel looks like it is standard pressure from heavy leaning with the left elbow. So maybe no water damage.

He states minor damage to the front corner. Looks more extensive to me.
Rims, repair and paint are going to cost.

Most salvaged cars are going for the average selling price minus the repair costs even though they have salvaged titles.

I would not pay more than $50K myself.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:33 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I agree with most of whwat you said except for the worth after it gets fixed. I know these cars should have a premium value over the regular cars, but you have to think that most people that are willing to pay that premium are people that would garage it vs. drive it. If that is the case a "salvage" title is the death of the car.

I believe the car might be worth $45k. I would also wonder about the motor. If a car was damaged in flight, over a curb, you might have transmission damage?? Who knows? I think its a "leap of faith" buy.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car could very likely be beyond safe repair.

The body has hight streanght steel components that can't be repaired.
If the wrong ones are damaged, which I believe they are on this car (look at the roof), they only way is to get a new body. This car had a serious crash indeed.

Porsche was out of 964 turbo bodies 1 year ago. Do they make new ones, I don't know, if they do they are 35K USD a piece.

Engine needs to be X-rayed for damaged assesment.
A Rennlist member had his 964 turbo crashed a year ago, insurance company recieved 15K USD for it, it looked like a dream compared to this one.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Assuming that nothing more than the obvious is in need of repair.

Being such a rare vehicle it is almost impossible to tell what the market would bare. There are a number of 73 RS's out there that have had some accident damage have been repaired and restored selling for three times or more than their original selling price. Other cars are selling for more and original condition for who knows how much. If the same happens with these cars; being considerably less of them, even this car in its repaired state should eventually be worth more than its original selling price.

The future will tell. But with such low production numbers if the ability to repair this car to close to original condition is possible this means that in time this car will be worth the expense to repair it.

I have seen people take a stock 3.6 (avg price $60k) and modified the engine using the factory parts ($12+K min) and updated the body to the S look using factory parts ($15+K) you are looking at a minimum of $90K. Doesn't make sense to me. But they do it.

The fact is the car has the pedigree which will always be retained by it's vin # and two little stars on either side of its engine #. As is with any of these cars it is only worth what the market bares but this car will always be one of the few. Making it worth more. (Assuming it can be repaired properly)

If you need to get a new body, than the car is only worth the value of the engine and misc parts.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:00 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I agree about the rarity of the car. It should command a premium. The 911RS have commanded premiums for a different reason. Although the only ones I have seen to commanded premium being wrecked have been ex-race cars. I haven't seen a RS with a salvage title command a high or unusal price, i.e. there is an original RS in CA that is rough and can be bought for the 40s. It is a touring car and a clean title but a lot of rust. At best the car in perfect shape might fetch $75-$80. Lightweights would commnad more money.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Does anybody have a link to this car you are referering to?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Go to ebay and punch in 1994 Porsche turbo it will get you there.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Jim,

Several years back I saw a 73RS lightweight with similar but more extensive damage sell for almost $40k as is.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

For some reason the RS ltw has a strong following. Many true Porsche enthusiast feel that the RS Ltw is the best Porsche ever made.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I only had the chance to drive one once. It was an amazing car not much power though. The light weight cars feel much different. i had a 79SC which weighed in at 2300# a bit heavier but had almost 270 hp. It felt very similar to the RS more like a go cart. I do miss that car.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:12 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Thanks Anthony - just found it.

This very vehicle (at least the one shown in the pictures) has been relisted at least twice in the past 6-8 months.

In my opinion, it does not appear to be (technically) beyond repair - economically though is a different matter. Porsche does give/offer the whole front end as replacement part(s), what would be worrying in my opinion is chassis damage further back. Also the car would definitely need an interior refurbishment as it appears it has been exposed to the elements and the trim appears very garrish - ugly shade of blue partial leather.

Wouldn't mind buying it if it were right hand drive...

Best regards

Emilios
Old 01-10-2004, 04:22 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

On closer inspection, the sunroof panel seems to have 'popped up out of its seat' - something that in my opinion would imply more-than-skindeep body damage.

just my 2 cents as you say in the usa..
Old 01-10-2004, 03:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by emilios
On closer inspection, the sunroof panel seems to have 'popped up out of its seat' - something that in my opinion would imply more-than-skindeep body damage.

just my 2 cents as you say in the usa..
I have to agree the sunroof does concern me, along with what he says about the drivers door. They also don't give you any clear views of that side with the door closed. I wonder why the idle speed is high, if nothing happened to the motor?

I don't know how their insurance works but my insurance co. would not pay me $126k unless it would cost < 50% of its value to repair it.

She must have been a beauty, externally that is. If it is repairable it would be worth picking up for $45k and taking the time to do right. I am sure he is looking for < $80k which isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: Flatnose Turbo S on Ebay