964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Couple of questions..

As the title says, I have a couple of questions I hope the combined wisdom of Rennlist can help with..

I seem to have a slow drain on my battery, so today I tried to track it down.. When measured, I have a 0.5 amp draw which slowly goes down to 0.4 amp and stays there. Going through all the fuses to locate the source it turned out to be fuse no. 1 which is for the interior fan blower. When I pull the fuse the draw goes down to 0.04 amp, but the ignition is off obviously, fan **** turned down to zero and no fan noises to be heard. So first question is, what can cause the interior fan to draw current when turned of.?

Second question is about the tail light. The red glass/cover of the left tail light is cracked so I want to replace it or perhaps both of them. Can I just replace the outer lens for a new one or do I need to replace the entire tail light clluster.?

Thanks - Alex.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
I seem to have a slow drain on my battery, so today I tried to track it down.. When measured, I have a 0.5 amp draw which slowly goes down to 0.4 amp and stays there. Going through all the fuses to locate the source it turned out to be fuse no. 1 which is for the interior fan blower. When I pull the fuse the draw goes down to 0.04 amp, but the ignition is off obviously, fan **** turned down to zero and no fan noises to be heard. So first question is, what can cause the interior fan to draw current when turned of.?

Could be the climate control in the dash. Do a search over at the 964 board for more info/troubleshooting options.

Originally Posted by Motosport
Second question is about the tail light. The red glass/cover of the left tail light is cracked so I want to replace it or perhaps both of them. Can I just replace the outer lens for a new one or do I need to replace the entire tail light clluster.?
Taillight lenses are complete units.
They tend to fade badly with age so you might have to replace both taillights and the center reflector ($$$) to get a match.
If the crack is not visible from 5 feet away you may want to ignore it, given the cost of new parts.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:41 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can replace just the lens part of the tail light. More difficult but a cheaper way to sort the cracking. Search for John McM posting on the 964 discussion area; I believe he documented it well.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool, thanks for your replies, I'll look into those options..

Alex
Old 03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964X33
You can replace just the lens part of the tail light. More difficult but a cheaper way to sort the cracking. Search for John McM posting on the 964 discussion area; I believe he documented it well.
I just looked this up.
The lenses only are available from Pelicanparts for $67 each.
There does not appear to be a repair lens for the center reflector so a total refurbishment/repair is in the neighborhood of $630.
This got added to my list for this season.
Thanks for the heads up, Alex.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have seen them cheaper but this is a better price. I have 3 of each side I was considering doing this to but it seems like a lot of work.

​​​​​​http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...94-p27445.html
Old 03-17-2018, 12:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

It’s a lot of work. I’ve done it.
However, as I just told Jason, put on your big boy pants and buy all new. Sell the old ones to defray costs. Nothing lifts a 964 like new rear lights.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I'm not afraid as much as lazy. I started removing the lens on one and it just crumbled. Wasn't coming apart as easily. I picked up a bunch of full sets of tail light lenses most of which have broken tabs more than bad lenses for $300 or less a set. So it is on the back burner for now. What adhesive did you use incase I decide to do them after all? Right now I have three decent spare sets and three needing new lenses. I guess I qualify as a hoarder.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed mine out for new OEM....I have the old ones available if someone wants them. ($$ MO) The sides are fine but the center bar has cracks. Apparently there are folks who can repair them with colored film..... New ones make a huge difference but $$$$$$$$$
Old 03-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maverick
I changed mine out for new OEM....I have the old ones available if someone wants them. ($$ MO) The sides are fine but the center bar has cracks. Apparently there are folks who can repair them with colored film..... New ones make a huge difference but $$$$$$$$$
As for the film...you end up losing the amber color of the turn signals and the back-up lights with it.
I just painted the periphery of the tail light and center reflector with red paint and it made a huge difference. Somehow that little bit of paint reflected into the assembly and really picked them up.
Now there are cracks in everything so time to refurbish and/or replace.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

I heated the units to 100C for 15 minutes in the oven. Any higher and you risk melting the lens. The heat weakens the bond between the lens and the back portion of the light. Warning. I tried a very early set and they wouldn’t separate easily.

Once the lens was removed I clean up the edges and glued the new lens in with this super glue derivative. It glued well, but it didn’t provide a consistent waterproof join so I had to smear silicon on the join. Ideally you would glue with something clear that has enough body to fill gaps as well.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions..