KW V3 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:02 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Default KW V3 suspension

Hey guys -
Anybody here running the KW V3 suspension on their 964T?

I like the idea of adjustable damping for both compression and rebound. Really wish it was a button in the cockpit like newer cars, so you could have it cushy for around town then firm it up for fun drives.... but what can ya do.
So I don't know that I'd ever change it once I found a good overall setting frankly, but at least I could really dial it in to my liking....

Any BTDT appreciated

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 03-02-2018, 06:58 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked the same question several years ago and found nobody. I took a punt and now I've had V3s on my 91 Turbo for about 3 years. The adjustment was initially a bit awkward as access is difficult, the tools provided are not really all that fit for purpose; and if its a pain, you inevitably wont adjust it, and then there's little point in having adjustable suspension.
The main difficulties were the rears, top and bottom. At the top, getting your hand in (particularly on the right) with the tool is fraught and there is a danger of dropping the tool. At a friend's suggestion, I cut down a pair of hex keys to two short right angular pieces, inserted them in each side at the top, and left them there. That way I can reach in, locate the key, and count the clicks. The only caution I can see is the fuel line runs fairly close through here so need to be wary it can't possibly set up a chafing problem which would be obviously catastrophic.
On the lower end, the large retaining washer made getting your fingers, or the large hairclip like tool, onto the knurled adjustment dial, a real b*stard. So I replaced the oversized retaining washer with a smaller diameter one, and now it is reasonably straightforward to adjust with your fingers.
The whole change of settings takes about 5 minutes and can be done without jacking.
All that said, I am a relative novice so I have a softish road setting, and a harder track setting. Occasionally I play around with the track setting (eg if wet) but two options is generally enough for me. Unfortunately KW haven't developed the smartphone bluetooth adjustment system for the 964 Turbo like they have for other cars.
No question the KW V3s are great and the handling and comfort are much improved but there are probably cheaper options out there, and don't forget it is only one aspect of the whole suspension set-up. If money is no object I think Ohlins now do 964 turbo dampers so that might be the gold standard. Probably just as important is ensuring all the old rubber, top mounts and bushes etc throughout the system are replaced in a 25 y/o machine. There are superior minds on this subject on RL so will leave them to chime in. A whole bunch of 964 non-turbo guys did a group buy about a year ago I think, so try the 964 thread for more advice.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, what size, offset etc BBS E88s did you get?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 AM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, while I have not installed a set of KW V3s in a 964T, I have installed them in other 964s as well as almost every other Porsche platform including a Cayenne! Haha

The V3s are a great suspension. It is nice to have the ability to control compression and rebound separately as in some cases more of one or the other is needed to dial in the ride and handling characteristics of the car. With V3s you can achieve excellent ride quality with flat and controlled handling. Another point to note about the KWs is that the shock bodies are very resistant to corrosion and any of the seizing issues that plague some other brands.

If you are interested in a set of coilovers, feel free to message me, we can discuss the KWs as well as options from Ohlins and others that may best suit your needs.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the thoughts guys. In reality I probably won't swap out the H&R coilovers at this point (even tho I'm sure the KWs are better) - the idea of being able to change between a performance and comfort setting is great - but in reality I don't see myself actually spending the time to change them. If I was going to the track,that would be different. I'm talking city driving vs mountain canyon carving - which can be somewhat spur of the moment. Too much of a production to go for a drive. It really would need to be a in-car push button to work for me at this point I think.

Not sure about the BBS question above - I run factory Speedlines fwiw.

On a side note my engine went back in last weekend after a case-split rebuild over the last 6 weeks. I have a short thread over on PP with some sideways pics lol

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 09-08-2022, 07:34 AM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys,

what is the verdict here?

For fast road driving, which can sometimes be compared to driving on the track.
In Germany we can drive fast on motorways in curves.
Of course, the suspension kit has to react well to unevenness on the road

KW V3 or V3 Clubsport or JRZ RS ONE or Ohlins R&T ?

thanks
K

Old 09-08-2022, 12:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

I just this week switched from my H&R coilovers to KW v3. So far I am very impressed with the build quality, and of course the adjustability will solve my current suspension inadequacies.

For me, these past 4 years of owning a 997.2 (2010) GT3 has really transformed my expectations of what my 911's should feel like. That car is absolutely amazing. But it also clearly pointed out the flaws in my 964 Turbo.

yes, my wife & I both drive fast & hard on our backroads (we have tons of great twisty roads & even some larger roads where we can carry 70-90 mph speeds & still have elevation changes & turns through the mountains. This is all in western Maryland & West Virignia). So yes, we wanted more from our 964 Turbo suspension.

And yes, it is true that there is a very good chance that I will set the suspension up once (which will probably take me a half a year, and hundreds of miles of testing),... and then leave it alone for decades to come. BUT I do want that ability to adjust compression & rebound. And I want that adjustability to have lots of clicks of fine tuning.

Installation went perfectly. I am about to put my engine & tranny back in, & then I'll get to driving it through the Fall & winter here. Check back with me next Spring 2023, and I'll give a better review on how they perform.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:16 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I've had the V3's on for almost 3 full driving seasons - so probably close to 15,000 miles - canyon carving, scenic byway roadtrips at "fun speeds" etc. No track - not my thing. I'm a big fan of the V3s. Do note however I have not tried much else - only the who-knows-how-old H&R coilovers that came on the car when I bought it.
Very adjustable. You really can tell the difference with each click for rebound and damping. I do not think they are too soft - seem pretty dead on for my use.

Adjustability - I found their suggested settings were quite good. I did choose to go one click stiffer on rebound. If I go a click stiffer on compression it's good out on the fun roads but too stiff for around town.

Brandon
'91 Turbo

Last edited by urquattro20Vt; 09-10-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:32 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Those of you with KW V3s on, what sort of condition are your roads in? Suspension and steering overhaul is next on my list and I'm concerned about fitting anything too harsh due to the horrendous road conditions in the UK.

Have experience of PSS10s from my father's 986 S and it was quite harsh.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

my roads are a mix. Closer roads (to me) when I just want a 30-45 min drive are mediocre - good twisty turns, but can have some repairs (but probably still slightly better than UK roads from what I've seen on utube),.. and the further out roads for me (out in western MD & West VA), that take me 45 minutes just to get to,... are better (than my close twisty roads down in our south counties)

but I don't believe that is the most pertinent question you should be asking..... when I was doing my homework on deciding whether to get the PSS10's, or the v3's,... I came away with the impression that the v3's are just better designed shocks in general (not to mention reviews saying the quality of the metals used is better. Don't know for sure,.. but just some sidebar comments heard), .... so it would not be that the v3's "could" be stiffer if you want them to be,... its more that they can handle the undulations in the roads better (think potholes in the middle of a off camber turn,.. which can really "test" the true abilities of the shock & suspension geometry).

So to me, better valving inside translates to my hope that I can adjust & tweek them to my own personal tastes. We shall see (I won't really know till I put a lot of miles on them,... AND I will not have tried the PSS10's, so I will not have that experience to compare against. So my review will be biased since I have already spent the money, LOL).
Old 09-13-2022, 04:35 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Our roads in Denver, Colorado are so-so - and vary around town at any given time. It's a tough job to keep them in good condition with our seasons - winters do beat them up. Once we get away from the city they are much better overall - although some roads are prone to expansion cracks in hot areas. Regardless the V3's are better then my prior setup.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 09-14-2022, 04:14 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys, thanks a lot. i have ordered V3. Will let you know how it works.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:58 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

So who did everyone order their V3’s from?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:54 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

not sure who my local engine builder buys them from, but he sold them to me for $3,578, & since I was going to use them for the alignment anyway, that price had me pull the trigger quick. They also got them for me in exactly 2 weeks (even though I had suspected that they would need to come from Germany). Not sure how many sets for our cars are still on US soil, but that is a question I would ask too.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:58 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

KW v3 part #

Oh, also Paul, don't forget that you can sometimes get a 10% discount if you've never bought from a place like Rennline too. That could be $380 off.

Last edited by bweSteve; 10-03-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: KW V3 suspension