964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Help with Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Teejae
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Oil change

I'm pretty new to this mechanicking so I have a lot to learn - today was my first work on a car ever. I changed the transmission fluid today and that went well. I also changed the oil, and that went only OK. I couldn't find one of the drain plugs nor the second oil filter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I understand there are

2 filters - 1 large and 1 small - I found and changed one filter, to the right hand side of the engine - it was medium in size. I had two filters that I purchased from the parts department at my Porsche dealer on their recommendation (one big, one small) and only the small one would fit here, the big one might not have been able to fit here because I have B&B headers and these may sit differently than the stock exhaust.

3 drain plugs - drivers side of crankcase (found it), thermostat (found it) and the 3rd one (didn't find it).

Could someone please help me out with the location of the 2nd filter and the 3rd drain plug?

Thanks,

Tarrnie

1994 911 Turbo 3.6
Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Tarrnie,

the third plug for changing the engine oil is on (or rather under) the turbocharger oil drip receiver - a black small tank located near the left hand side header, to the rear of the engine.

However, I'm pretty sure there is only one oil filter, the one you located just above the front of the right-hand side header.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Yep, just did this.
One oil filter at the location Emilios posted.
Make sure you use a LARGE bucket.
Use 70nm on the drain plugs when putting them back.
You fill 8 litres and then top up with apx. another 3 litres.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

The other filter you got could be for the gearbox.
Also, I was told to drain thermostat first, then crank, last turbo sump.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Teejae
Intermediate

Thanks all - I figure I got enough steps right as I put 10.5 or so litres back in - and if there was only one filter then I got it :-). I'll look again for the third plug next time I change the oil.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Tarrnie,

Sounds like someone sold you the oil filters for a 993TT (they both probably had 993 xxx part numbers, or OC 54 / 75 if they were Mahle replacements)... Neither of these is the proper filter for your car. While the small one may physically fit, it may not be baffled correctly to work in your application. Plus the fact that it would be too small to filter properly...

You need a part# 944 107 201 03. I would replace that filter immediately if this is the case...
Old 12-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Teejae
Intermediate

Hmm - you're probably right. I'll change it when I get back from my holidays. Annoying that the Porsche parts person at the dealer gave me the wrong parts though - I specifically told them the model and year of the car. Anyway, thanks for the warning.

-Tarrnie

Quick Reply: Help with Oil change