Sponsored by:

1993 Porsche RS America with Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Here's one with a roll cage installed, along with other track-worthy goodies ("too many to list" the ad says): http://www.highmarques.com/inventory/475.html

I've seen the car and was intrigued, but I wasn't looking for this type of track car (or car, period, much as I'd love a 964 or 993). Also, can't recall which of the four possible options it had or lacked.

I believe the dealer seller is reputable, though I have no experience.

My recollection was the car had about 75k miles and the then-current Ask was $75k.

Good luck in your search.
Yes, I did see that one. Unfortunately, it's too track prep, Motor been rebuilt and won't Pass smog in CA, else where possible, Nice price though. The one I'm interested does have a roll cage, but nothing else done. Engine fully stock, I've examined it undercarriage with a Porsche mechanic, beside having a scratch and little bump on the front end underbody, it doesn't look like it been track. I'm guess it was in an early stage and the plan stop, or he just wanted to add a roll cage in it?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
I'd assume traumatic brain injury.
That's correct.

If the one with the cage is the "right" car, at $17k cheaper one can afford to remove the cage for the price delta.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Just to be clear about the cage set up, I assume that a cage that sits completely behind the seats is OK? (And necessary if using fixed back seats)

Like this:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

A roll hoop/harness bar is generally ok, but it depends on the actual design.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Just to be clear about the cage set up, I assume that a cage that sits completely behind the seats is OK? (And necessary if using fixed back seats)

Like this:

No, this one is a complete roll cage:
Bar run straight across and X pattern in middle
Also run at 45 angle at door
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 89Spedster
No, this one is a complete roll cage:
Bar run straight across and X pattern in middle
Also run at 45 angle at door
Guys, Do you have any idea if the undercarriage plate (kinda looks like a skip plate right under/behind front bumper), There is a bump up right in the middle, I wonder if this piece can be remove? replace? Or bodyshop work? Here's a some Pics

Here is the area I'm talking about, But not the RSA I am looking at, just a Better pic of area
This is the RSA that I'm interested in, as you can see there a bump that flatten the middle of the plate. Is this part replaceable? Removable? Or does it need Bodyshop?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:50 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
There is a (false) romantic ideal about the LSD only Porsche 964RS* that is completely devoid of the reality that comes from actually driving these cars on the street in anything but perfect weather. I would almost say the UK is the exception but even there, driving in the rain without AC is more painful than it needs to be because of the windshield fogging.

It is still my favorite car and the first one I drive when I come back to the USA for a month or two each year but I would easily have double the miles had I originally ordered it with AC.
That something to think about, never thought about that part, bad weather and rain,
Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

That's the pan under the spare tire. It's sheet metal and not uncommon to hit a speed bump or parking stop. Pull the spare and look, might just push out by standing on it.

I has a bolt in roll bar ( half cage ) in my old RSA. It was fine, you couldn't contact it but it did limit the adjustment of the front seat. If I bought that car I'd have the front section cut out and the hoop ground and painted and call it a day. The storage bar looks like it is fitted around the cage already. It's one of the RSA pieces you want to keep. If it is otherwise clean and has the stock components ( seats, tail, belts, door panels, radio etc...) you're good to go. A non AC car has a very limited audience. Not a plus in my book.

The real money in these are low mile completely stock garage queens. I have one (20k miles) all stock that I don't drive, and one that is completely tracked out that I don't race.
I quite frankly am thinking about swapping one out for a c2 that I can mod and drive like I want without worrying about it....food for thought if you plan on really enjoying your ride...
Old 07-16-2017, 06:43 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by J richard
That's the pan under the spare tire. It's sheet metal and not uncommon to hit a speed bump or parking stop. Pull the spare and look, might just push out by standing on it.

I has a bolt in roll bar ( half cage ) in my old RSA. It was fine, you couldn't contact it but it did limit the adjustment of the front seat. If I bought that car I'd have the front section cut out and the hoop ground and painted and call it a day. The storage bar looks like it is fitted around the cage already. It's one of the RSA pieces you want to keep. If it is otherwise clean and has the stock components ( seats, tail, belts, door panels, radio etc...) you're good to go. A non AC car has a very limited audience. Not a plus in my book.

The real money in these are low mile completely stock garage queens. I have one (20k miles) all stock that I don't drive, and one that is completely tracked out that I don't race.
I quite frankly am thinking about swapping one out for a c2 that I can mod and drive like I want without worrying about it....food for thought if you plan on really enjoying your ride...
Yes, that is the pan floor under the spare tire. I'm wondering, Is it bolt on the chassis frame or weld together? Is it a piece you can purchase and replace? Just a piece of my mind, if it really bothers me after, which I have to repair or replace preferably. Yes, I've thought about getting a C2, but prices for solid one, are not what they use to be
Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM
89Spedster
Advanced

Yes, that is the pan floor under the spare tire. I'm wondering, Is it bolt on the chassis frame or weld together? Is it a piece you can purchase and replace? Just a piece of my mind, if it really bothers me after, which I have to repair or replace preferably. Yes, I've thought about getting a C2, but prices for solid one, are not what they use to be
I wish it was at the $30-$40K, I would've got that route, now 80K miles are going at $60-$70K, which is not a far fetch from an RSA, IMO
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

It's welded in. best to just straighten it out.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I don't really plan on Modifying anything to it, done that many time before, in the long run IMO the true nature of the car is the Beauty... the RSA has all the niche that I need, IMO I can mod the C2 to even look better or the same as a RSA, but in the end of the day it's still a C2, and the money put in to do that, might even be greater than the RSA, just my two cent,

I don't care what anyone says an RSA is nothing different than a C2 especially if it has all options. Take a nice C2 and change out the power steering rack to manual and it is the same car. I drove on the track for years with RSA's while they were still cheap while in my C2 and it was all about driver skill vs differences in the car.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The only wear item in the RSA that can't be easily and inexpensively replaced are the cloth seats, not yet as least... The paint can almost always be cleaned up with some wet sanding, compounding and polishing. Full cage including the doors or just harness bar? A rollcage on the street without a helmet is always a negative but with enough padding the impact with one might be preferable to the same with a naked a-pillar? After putting 180K+ miles on an options delete / LSD only RSA, having AC would be the deciding factor for me.
Contact Mooty he might have some RSA parts for sale. I removed my A/C from my C2 and i rarely miss it although if it is that hot and humid out I drive something else.

Originally Posted by GTgears
Don't drive a car with a cage on the street. No amount of padding will stop a tbi or death in a serious accident. If not tracks my the car, buy the one without a cage.

-A guy with a tbi.
Agreed. I have a full cage in my track car but would never drive it on the street or without a helmet.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Here's one with a roll cage installed, along with other track-worthy goodies ("too many to list" the ad says): http://www.highmarques.com/inventory/475.html

I've seen the car and was intrigued, but I wasn't looking for this type of track car (or car, period, much as I'd love a 964 or 993). Also, can't recall which of the four possible options it had or lacked.

I believe the dealer seller is reputable, though I have no experience.

My recollection was the car had about 75k miles and the then-current Ask was $75k.

Good luck in your search.
This car has been at High Marques for quite some time. Don't want to kill a deal for John or Adam. John is reputable and a nice guy but you still have to understand what he is selling. I know the car well. The owner always took good care of it but it was heavily tracked and modified. In fact there was a picture of my turbo and his RSA side by side at Pocono in Pano back in 2005 or so. The RSA tail that originally came on this car is installed on my C2. Unless they sourced another RSA tail that would be another thing needed.

Far too many of these cars have been tracked and many had roll cages welded in and subsequently removed. I would verify that there was nothing covered up on any RSA you buy. Far too many I have seen sold as never tracked have all sorts of things that were added and removed over the years. Many have been tracked with speedos removed and the cages were bolted in and removed with new carpet to cover up the holes. I know of an RSA that was tracked for years that the seller swore was never tracked and was original paint. Once passing a PPI it was discovered the entire car was painted and when we stripped out some of the carpet we found where they ground the welds from the cage that was removed. Don't believe that an RSA wasn't tracked until you check it over very carefully.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

100% agree with Anthony. If I owned J Richard's tracked out car I would just keep tracking it.

Quick Reply: 1993 Porsche RS America with Roll Cage