Brake Pad Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 AM
fftfk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Pad Questions

Hi -

I'm about to attempt to change my brake pads for the first time. I have a 92 C2 so understand that front and rear brakes are interchangeable. I use my car for street use.

What brake pads should I be looking at? Porsche ones are $190, Pagid are 95, Textar are $88 and Bosch are $30. In addition, there are some other brands at lower price points. There can't really be this much difference in them can there?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...BRKPAD_pg1.htm

Is there anything else I need to buy to replace the pads?

Thanks for any help. I've never done this before.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with Pagid Sport pads for street use. You might also want to check the condition of the rotors. If they are bady scored or grooved then might be worth getting them skimmed. Also a reasonable time to do a brake fluid flush or at the very least a bleed as it's a simple task once you have the wheels off and brake calipers accessible. I also replaced the anti squeal pads but some opt to delete them completely or reuse the old ones.

Good luck, Neil
Old 07-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't "track" the car I would stay with OEM pads. They have served me well for 19 years......
Old 07-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

+1 - stick with OEM for the street.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM
fftfk
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. By OEM I assume Textar works (listed as OEM) and not only the porsche branded pads.

Is there anything else I should purchase? Dampers, new springs, etc.?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Yes, textar is fine, no need to by from the factory.

Anything else? It depends on the condition of the rest of your brakes. I would inspect your rotors if they have a lip of 1mm, then you need new rotors. I don't run the mushrooms nor the brake wear sensors on my cars but if you do, you may want new ones. You should flush your brake fluid every few years. When you do, don't forget to bleed the clutch slave too.

While you have the car up in the air, I would inspect the CV boots and sway bar drop links for cracks. Also check your tires for uneven wear.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:29 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

All good advice from Rob. I would only add that you take a close look at your brake lines and consider replacing them if they look original and thus a quarter century old. For what it's worth, I don't run the mushrooms or pad sensors either.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:22 PM
fftfk
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses. One final question - do you guys jack up your car and put it on four jack stands to do the breaks? Only two? Or just use the floor jack? I've never jacked my car up onto jack stands before.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Yes, I use a floor jack and put the car on 4 jack stands, if I know I'm working on all 4 wheels. If I'm only doing one axle, then I will use two jackstands. You should never rely just on a floor jack to keep the car up. Always use a jackstand or other to hold the weight. Floor jacks can sag and trap you. It happened to my brother.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fftfk
Thanks for the responses. One final question - do you guys jack up your car and put it on four jack stands to do the breaks? Only two? Or just use the floor jack? I've never jacked my car up onto jack stands before.
Thought I would use this opportunity to sell my set of Textar brake pads.

Please CHECK out this add, post number 3213.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Is there anything else I need to buy to replace the pads?
On a street-driven 964 the mushrooms ($4/each at Sunset Imports) are cheap insurance. The only time it doesn't make sense to install them is when you are regularly changing pads for DE events, etc.

I've never done this before.
Try to clean out as much built up pad dust and caliper corrosion as you can from behind the caliper spring plates, dental picks come in real handy.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
fftfk
Intermediate

I assume the mushrooms are the dampeners. What exactly are they insurance against? I thought they just kept brake squealing down. Which size would I use? They have both 36 and 40 mm for front and and 30 and 28 for rear.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

If you don't jack up onto jack stands, at least protect your life and the car by placing the removed wheel under the sill. That way it can only drop so far.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What exactly are they insurance against?
Whether or not your brakes are quiet ends up being a crap shoot without them. And then even if/when they are quiet for a little while (without them), you usually get stuck having to hose them out fairly frequently to keep them quiet. For $16/caliper its not worth it when your brake pads won't be changed again for several years.

Which size would I use? They have both 36 and 40 mm for front and and 30 and 28 for rear.
The easiest way to confirm is just look up your exact calipers in PET for the proper piston sizes.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
fftfk
Intermediate

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Questions