Sponsored by:

Premium for RS America?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:36 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium for RS America?

I'm interested in what you folk feel would be a reasonable premium (over a C2 coupe) for a '92-'93 RS America. I mean: assuming the two cars would be the same in all important aspects -- very good to excellent condition, low miles, desirable color, etc.

How much extra would you figure a RS America would be worth?

Thanks again, J
Old 11-20-2003, 10:59 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,

Check out Keith's terrific RS America website http://www.rsamerica.net

Best,

Don
Old 11-20-2003, 11:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Premium for RS America?

Originally posted by JoeW
How much extra would you figure an RS America would be worth?
I don't believe there's a direct correlation, i.e. a comparable RSA is worth X thousands more than a C2. Additionally, the prices seem to move independently.

The cars appeal to different buyers. The prospective C2 owner wants a later 911, with classic looks and strong performance for less than $30K. An RSA shopper is looking for something special, a collectible. Not that the C2 isn't special, it's just that the RSA is a rare breed with its limited production numbers and unique looks: fixed tail, RSA badging and minimal interior.

While the C2 market has softened somewhat in the past few years, I don't believe RSA prices have been impacted to the same degree. It seems their rarity helps them maintain a premium. I think finding a good example under $30K would be a challenge, but I'm sure anything is possible these days.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

RSA's still are going for a large premium right now - seems to be in the range of 8-10K for a like/like C2. As joey states though the buys are very different. Normal C2's in my area are going for mid-20K right now with a few examples higher - RSA's are High 30's + mostly in the 40's
at that price point the RSA is competing with 993's and some early 996's
Different buyers again.
My 2 cents
Old 11-21-2003, 02:29 PM
JoeW
Pro

You're saying what I've been finding. Thanks for the replies.

The one I'm interested in has all of the weight added back on: sunroof, A/C, radio, so I'm not too sure I see the point. Otoh, it has that pretty wing, the M030, and the LSD option which would surely provide benefits. And on the third hand I do want a daily driver ... not sure how I feel about taking care of a collectible ... but I could turn it into a daily driver.

No, I haven't even seen it yet, but I want to sort these ideas out before I do that because I know I'll want it. The reasoning part of my mind sort of shuts down when I see a Porsche with a 'for sale' sign on it.

J

Don, thanks for the link: wow Have any of you ever driven one? Any difference from the driver's seat?

Last edited by JoeW; 11-21-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:50 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't seem to make sense to have a lightened car only to have the bits added back on so that you can pay a premium. In UK the so-called touring version of the RS had these pointless bits added back on although the chassis was that of the lightweight. Personally speaking if you are going for the lightened version, it should be just that - I certainly won't buy the RS Touring since it is not a 'rea'l RS.

Harry
Old 11-21-2003, 05:58 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any difference from the driver's seat?
Yes, RSA's do not have power steering. Whether this feature is desirable is a matter of personal taste. You should really drive one to see if it's to your liking.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 11-21-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Premium for RS America?

I'm interested in what you folk feel would be a reasonable premium (over a C2 coupe) for a '92-'93 RS America. I mean: assuming the two cars would be the same in all important aspects -- very good to excellent condition, low miles, desirable color, etc.

How much extra would you figure a RS America would be worth?

Thanks again, J
About $10k less than a standard 964.

(That's my running joke, considering that the de-content-ed RSA cost about $10k less than a regular 964 when new.)
Old 11-21-2003, 10:24 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely true, Randall, but the rarity of the car has helped hold it's current value higher than the C2. It's all about preference.

Joe W.

Drive both. For me, the non-boosted steering blew me away. Still does. Made my M3 absolutely superfluous. Now it's gone! Also, as noted, the car has a racier feel with the M030 susp., lightweight carpet and lack of sound deadening. Sport seats grip like you wouldn't believe. Can't argue with the fact that they only made 701 of them.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The manual rack sure would be nice. If no other reason, because of how expensive it is to replace a leaking rack. If my rack leaks again, I'm going to give converting to a manual rack serious consideration. That said, I imagine the lack of power steering might get tiring in a 3000 lb. (+) "standard" 964? Not sure... At least Porsche does a great job of road feel with their power steering (as far as power steering goes).
Old 11-22-2003, 01:22 AM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randall, I use my RSA strictly for pleasure so daily driving probably would get tiresome with manual steering. Nevertheless, it is TOTALLY a different experience. Cheep thrills, but a different (racing) feel. Only my opinion.

Yes the RSA is a less optioned car and was cheaper in 1993 when it was new, but it is truely something special. In my limited experience with it, it gets lots of complements and comments among the Porsche cognizenti.

Witness the Ferrari Modena Challenge Stradalle; a car without carpet, and many other "luxury" items that serves as a true road race car. Has less luxury but blows the 360 Modena away. It's also more expensive than the standard 360. Trust me I've driven both. I'm not trying to say the RSA is comparable, I'm just saying that the de-optioned concept may appeal to some.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff,

Not faulting the car's appeal to some, just good natured needling of the RSA crowd.

My car's a daily driver, so I want all the creature comforts. As cars go, it's still about as visceral as they come, even without the sound deadening removed, etc.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 AM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Right on Randall. ALL 964's (and 911s, 993s) turn my head!!

Old 11-22-2003, 08:43 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also the school of thought that it's cheaper to buy a regular C2 and remove the creature comforts to get the weight down and replace some other stuff with lighter or more racier components, than it is to buy a RSA.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:59 PM
JoeW
Pro

Any idea what it would run to add the OEM factory LSD and M030 to a regular C2?

Have you priced what it would cost to switch to the manual rack, Randall? J

Quick Reply: Premium for RS America?