Sponsored by:

Premium for RS America?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my RSA since 96. It was a daily driver until 2001, when I switched jobs. Manual steering worked just fine during the daily drives and parking. Now she's primarily a track and AX car, although she's heading pretty much toward an AX car and back to a semi-daily driver. The car is just too fun to leave in the garage!
Old 11-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe:
Sorry for the delay in answering your question about the mods on my RSA. I think the most important is the wheels and tires; I run on Kinesis K-20 8&9X17 wheels with Kumho Victoracers (225/45 & 255/40). It has cat and primary muffler bypasses, K&N cone air filter, and an AutoThority chip mapped for those changes. But I don't think the additional 15 or so hp helps much (the Z06 has over 400). The suspension is H&R RSA lowering springs over Bilstein HD shocks. I still have the stock sway bars, but I disconnect the front bar for autocross. That helps in autocross (once you re-learn throttle control), but don't try that on the track. I consider those mods minor, and other RSAs probably have a better overall setup without going any farther than I did.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:47 PM
JoeW
Pro

Thanks for the clarification, Jim ... very interesting. I'd have guessed re: the exhaust work and the chip, I think, but have some questions if you'll indulge me.

Why the K-20s (vs. all the other choices) for you?

Have you given any thought to a larger fuel pump and/or supply line? (Popular mod in SP locally.)

I like your suspension and wonder about the sway bar decision. Did you try a lighter one and it was still too much? Or?

Disclaimer: none of my questions are meant to indicate doubts, Jim, just curious how you came up with your choices since I'll be working my first Porsche (by spring I hope!) Thanx again, J
Old 11-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe:

I liked the pewter finished centers of the forged Kinesis over the highly polished Fikses, the Kinesis had 40 fastening bolts vs. 20 for the Fikses, the Kinesis were $300 dollars cheaper at the time, and Robert Brown (then head of Wheel Enhancement) said that's what he had on his car; but he said that only after I'd already decided. There's probably not a lot of difference in the performance of the forged Kinesis, Fikses, BBS, Forgeline, or HRE. The main thing is to get rid of those heavy cast factory C2T wheels that came on the RSA (and other 964s) for something lighter and wider. The later cast factory wheels for the 993 and 996 were lighter than those for the 964.

I think the adjustable RS sway bar set (5-way front; 3-way rear) would probably be better than what I have, but since I disconnect the front bar for autocrossing to provide oversteer, I just haven't felt the need to buy a new set. I did try a stiffer adjustable front bar, but, without a stiffer rear bar, it was too stiff (enhanced understeer), even on its softest setting, so I went back to the stock sway bar. I know a guy that has the adjustable bars, and he's still trying to decide what the best front and rear settings combo is for autocross and track after a full season of experimenting. I'm confused enough without adding another level of complexity. I didn't try a lighter sway bar, but the lighter regular 964 bar would propably be better at autocross than the thicker RSA bar, although it probably still wouldn't be light enough to provide the oversteer I like for autocross.

If I had some internal engine enhancement, I might consider a larger throttle body, MAF, etc. (then I'd need a different chip too), but I don't think they would help much with the minor external mods I have now. Horsepower doesn't seem to contribute as much to reduced times as handling anyway. In my region, a 70-year old guy beats most of the high hp cars in his 30-year old 914 with 95 hp and antique tags (an antique driving an antique).

To tell the truth, as long as I'm winning and finishing in the top 10 overall, I'm afraid to change much.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:49 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by Jim Michaels
as long as I'm winning and finishing in the top 10 overall
My goal, too, Jim. Thankx for the insight. J

Quick Reply: Premium for RS America?