Sponsored by:

964 euro spec from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 AM
stef-bar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 euro spec from Japan

Hi all. First post for me, as I'm moving into the Porsche market.
I've seen some posts on the topic of 964's imported from Japan, but none who can help me with this. I'm looking to buy this 964 in Norway from a dealer who have put some effort into shining up this car.

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=97674262

Firstly, the dealer was willing to repaint those rediculous orange wheels for free.
It has suspiciously low mileage, and with some nice effort i managed to read the japanese service book which adds up, but are there other tells I should look for / be aware of on these types of cars? The interior looks like it's done more than 117k km, but that might be a result of the car standing in sunlight and heat over time.

Also, the dealer claims the euro specs from Japan are worth as much or more than german cars, because of the conditions it's been in. True?

What you think about this one in general?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you located in Norway as well? The price coverts over to $70.8k USD which is very high for a C4 in the US market right now but could be competitive if you are local to the seller. Given the condition of the car, I don't think 117km (73k miles) is suspiciously low. It looks to be in good shape overall and there are a lot of cars that pop up for sale with similar mileage. The lower front bumper is bent up (many refer to it as a frown), which is commonly seen on these cars being so low, but it can be easily straightened.

You should request pictures or better yet inspect the undercarriage in person with the car running on a lift. Take a look at the engine, trans, and steering rack to make sure there aren't signs of fluid leaks as those could add immediate maintenance costs to your purchase. The big red brakes are a nice upgrade and they look great paired with the Cup 1 wheels (they are originals which are more valuable compared to aftermarket replicas). Otherwise are you set on C4 over a C2?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:34 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks good and I love the color!

I can see that in Scandinavia a C4 makes more sense than a C2 but I think the price is a bit high, even for european prices.

An example (granted it's an early 964)
http://www.subito.it/auto/porsche-96...-196176387.htm
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the rear seats.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
stef-bar
3rd Gear

Thanks for responses. I love the color too, however I would prefer a C2. Sadly the selection is limited here in Norway, and I don't want to import so I might have to grab this chance btw, the dealer is well known in the Porsche enthusiasts club in Norway, and has operated since the 80's.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ask to see the auction sheet if he has it - if it has a * or a $ next to the mileage it means that the mileage is questionable. If he doesn't have it, ask to see a copy of the Japanese de-registration document, that will have mileage details and sometimes mileage from previous shaken and you can cross reference with the history.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Derek911
Racer

599,000 thousand for a 964. I believe that is a new high. I'm putting mine for sale right now at 500,000 and undercut the market.

A two tone 964. Conservative business on one side... Party racer on the other side. Cool!

The department stores in Findland sell Porsches? Wow!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 AM
stef-bar
3rd Gear

Yes it's high although the NOK is weak towards the dollar these days and in Norway, whatever you import you need to pay a 25% VAT, so importing one would come out even more expensive.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Derek911
Racer

My jokes are wasted here. This comedy club sucks!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

A couple of comments.

Japanese cars are NOT valued as highly as any European country car, especially German cars. For example, with RS prices, you always see that genuine German market cars demand a good 20-30K euro more than Japanese cars. And this holds true for C2 and C4 models.

However, you can pick up some exceptional examples from Japan as the cars tend to be looked after much better over there. As a case in point, when I bought my 964 RS, I inspected a lot of cars and most had been raced or crashed...except for one that was an import from Japan. When I had it inspected, the guy who did the PPI told me it was one o the best examples he had seen in a long time. So I bought it at around 30K less than what a German origin car might have been in the same condition...assuming I could find one.

For me, the most important thing is CONDITION....not what country its from.... because in the end your ownership experience is going to be largely determined by the condition of the car.

And one last point, do not trust what dealer tell you or your own eye....I am pretty experienced now at inspecting cars but I still do not trust my own judgement because you can be unduly swayed by your emotions...an independent has no emotions and will simply tell you the facts.

Quick Reply: 964 euro spec from Japan