Sponsored by:

Paint quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint quality issue

I had a full windows out respray a couple years ago. Recently my car was keyed.

The roof was entirely refinished, down the A and C pillars. However the insurance company refused to take the windows out.

I've folded up the lip of the window seals and the paint edge is very poor. Besides just the difficulty in masking off the window seals, is there a valid argument to the new paint lacking like quality and integrity? I've always understood it should be seamless into the window frame.

Last edited by azander; 06-09-2017 at 04:21 AM. Reason: more concise
Old 06-10-2017, 02:05 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the UK you would notify your insurance of the substandard repair. Then notify the garage who carried out the work that you are not happy. Both will try to say the masking method is industry standard. However the repair should have reinstated the car to its pre incident condition.
This has not happened, therefore the repair is sub standard.

If/when it goes back for rectification, agree the repair methodology before taking it in. There are potentially other shortcuts around this that will not necessarily represent good long term rectification.
Hth.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 PM
azander
Racer

Originally Posted by backitoff
Then notify the garage who carried out the work that you are not happy. Both will try to say the masking method is industry standard. However the repair should have reinstated the car to its pre incident condition.
This has not happened, therefore the repair is sub standard.
Thanks backitoff!

To give this thread some context I attached some images. I let the shop spend a day cleaning up the seals and globs of bridged paint. These photos are after that. Besides the bridging, the paint is extremely poor around the seals.

Would this even be considered 'industry standard'? ha

Last edited by azander; 02-22-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 AM
backitoff
Instructor

That masking is s**t. Whoever did it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Absolutely no pride in their work at all. You wouldn't do this to a 'normal' car let alone a classic Porsche!

Having 'generously' given them the opportunity to put it right, they have made a half arsed attempt to rectify their poor workmanship, which clearly proves they are not capable of doing the work to an acceptable standard.

I would now be saying that I'm taking it to a reputable bodyshop to put it right at their expense. Including, removing the glass, new fitting kit, rubbers, etc, and repainting of the panels they were supposed to have done in the first place.

Get some estimates, send them to the insurance co and copies to the garage. That should get their attention.

Personally, I would not allow them go near my car again, but that's your call.
Just my 02's.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:19 AM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, that's not so good. What a PITA!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

That masking is s**t. Whoever did it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Absolutely no pride in their work at all. You wouldn't do this to a 'normal' car let alone a classic Porsche!

Having 'generously' given them the opportunity to put it right, they have made a half arsed attempt to rectify their poor workmanship, which clearly proves they are not capable of doing the work to an acceptable standard.

I would now be saying that I'm taking it to a reputable bodyshop to put it right at their expense. Including, removing the glass, new fitting kit, rubbers, etc, and repainting of the panels they were supposed to have done in the first place.

Get some estimates, send them to the insurance co and copies to the garage. That should get their attention.

Personally, I would not allow them go near my car again, but that's your call.
Just my 02's.
Agree.

Andreas
Old 06-17-2017, 02:53 AM
azander
Racer

That masking is s**t. Whoever did it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Absolutely no pride in their work at all.
Ha, they also do dealer Ferraris, BMW, Tesla, etc. They did an awesome job a couple years ago. Very puzzling drop in quality. I just noticed a big chunk masking tape hanging under my car which they didn't bother to remove. Haha
Old 06-17-2017, 01:11 PM
backitoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by azander
Ha, they also do dealer Ferraris, BMW, Tesla, etc. They did an awesome job a couple years ago. Very puzzling drop in quality. I just noticed a big chunk masking tape hanging under my car which they didn't bother to remove. Haha
i have been in Ferrari approved Bodyshops and seen them painting corroded wheels under warranty, and the wheels were still on the. car!

i used to do consultancy work which involved bodyshop standards and process. Nothing surprises me anymore. They probably think that working on an old Porsche is the s**t end of the stick compared to the new cars they work on,
problem is they grossly misjudge the passion of ownership relating to our old cars.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:10 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
For the benefit of those local to you, which shop is this so we know where not to go?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM
azander
Racer

Originally Posted by kreeshp
For the benefit of those local to you, which shop is this so we know where not to go?
I have to let them fix the job. My intention wasn't to bash the shop but rather get some feedback on what is considered 'industry standard' and acceptable approaches to fixing.

Quick Reply: Paint quality issue