Sponsored by:

Sat in on a RWB build...my .02

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by klokwerk
This is exactly what I was getting at when I asked my question earlier. If the kits quality is the same and I know there can be a lot of deviation between manufacturers of fiberglass parts, but if they're equal, then what differentiates the kit from Werks911 and RWB is the fact that Nakai San did the final install versus Joe Schmoe.

Having seen one example of his work and countless pictures/videos, I can appreciate the work done. Would love to have something like that done one day. But really just so I can run fatter tires/wheels in the back.
The quality of the work is very good but IMO it is far from extraordinary. I have several friends in the business that produce pebble beach winning results. IMO my friends work on some of these ultra wide body BMW conversions is superior especially considering the quality of the kit provided.

I agree Nakai San has a flair and does good work but considering what he charges vs what I know it should cost for comparable work is what looses me more than anything. I guess i his signature is worth that much to some great but I have a number of people I would prefer to work on my cars.

I guess I am too much of a purist at heart.

I could have saved a lot of money and done a widebody kit like the RWB's for my track car but I prefer a but welded fender over an add on. There is just something that is so clean to the factory look. I guess I am not an outlaw type.

This is my 90 C4 now 3.8RS tribute with all 993 drivetrain twin turbocharged. This took considerably more work and skill to do correctly than adding on glass flairs.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klokwerk
This is exactly what I was getting at when I asked my question earlier. If the kits quality is the same and I know there can be a lot of deviation between manufacturers of fiberglass parts, but if they're equal, then what differentiates the kit from Werks911 and RWB is the fact that Nakai San did the final install versus Joe Schmoe.

Having seen one example of his work and countless pictures/videos, I can appreciate the work done. Would love to have something like that done one day. But really just so I can run fatter tires/wheels in the back.
not sure onthe quality of the werks911 kit, but i personally have seen the rwb kit - my friend got the rwb treatment on his 964 and im really impressed on the quality of the fiberglass, i was so impressed i took a piece of the fiberglass home and even had nakai sign it lol
Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by no_car
not sure onthe quality of the werks911 kit, but i personally have seen the rwb kit - my friend got the rwb treatment on his 964 and im really impressed on the quality of the fiberglass, i was so impressed i took a piece of the fiberglass home and even had nakai sign it lol
Since you have seen the kit up close and have a piece can you say what condition the FG arrives? I am assuming his kits arrive as everything else requiring many hours of work to prep for paint. Glass can be a royal PITA to get right. Pitting and bubbles are pretty common even with the best pieces. Many will show their weave months after paint if not prepped properly or the shop glops it up with bondo and primer causing it to weigh more than steel.

I have a factory 1994 turbo S tail in its original gel coat which IMO is some of the nicest quality FG part I have seen and even it requires hours work of prep prior to painting. Are his parts supplied ready to paint with all the prep work already done? If so that is a significant cost savings when considering the majority of the cost to install these kits is in the prep work and not the installation.

My friend is doing a 991 RSR conversion to a turbo S using factory CF fenders. It is amazing how light and good the quality is. Total fender weight is about 3 pounds but even that requires a lot of work prior to paint.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:50 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a travesty. the 964 deserves better. imho.
however, each too their own .........
Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by juntsky
...Now I'm not saying these are directly comparable to RWB. They're not. But there's a reason plastic bolt on flares are a thing on Porsches. To say they have no place on a porsche is ridiculous. Even the 997s run "bolt on flares" on the front for extra front tire width.
Or just on the rear fender to control the aerodynamic votexes around the wheel well gap....

Randomly saw this and it reminded me of this thread. (Good point Juntsky!)

Originally Posted by cobalt
This is my 90 C4 now 3.8RS tribute with all 993 drivetrain twin turbocharged. This took considerably more work and skill to do correctly than adding on glass flairs.
This car definitely needs to get more attention. Epic build Cobalt! Start growing your hair out and chain smoking, and soon you'll be asked to travel the world building cars.... looks like you'll be staying for more than 48hrs to get these builds done though.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

clearly this thread is open to "opinions",...

Originally Posted by Vandit
RWB car would be worth countless more scene points, instagram hashtags, and retweets...
This ^. Seems to me majority of U.S. buyers of RWB Nakai efforts, are those looking to "show", and thus Concours type approval & appreciation. ... or yes, even how many "likes" one can get.

... but considering what he charges vs what I know it should cost for comparable work is what looses me more than anything. I guess i his signature is worth that much to some...
This ^. Boils down to price-paid -vs- value-received.

IMHO, far too much paid for Nakai-san involvement.

I will also say this - I am a purist, BUT this bolt-on wide-body look does not offend me. Just like I love the 993GT2 car.

but I WILL also add that mixing fiberglass onto a metal car does not sit right with me. If you're going to spend the $$$, at least butt weld metal flares on,... please.

so the bottom line (just like a LOT of other things), is that if the buyer has the CASH,... then to-each-his-own on how he spends it.

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 06-17-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:55 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Since you have seen the kit up close and have a piece can you say what condition the FG arrives? I am assuming his kits arrive as everything else requiring many hours of work to prep for paint. Glass can be a royal PITA to get right. Pitting and bubbles are pretty common even with the best pieces. Many will show their weave months after paint if not prepped properly or the shop glops it up with bondo and primer causing it to weigh more than steel.

I have a factory 1994 turbo S tail in its original gel coat which IMO is some of the nicest quality FG part I have seen and even it requires hours work of prep prior to painting. Are his parts supplied ready to paint with all the prep work already done? If so that is a significant cost savings when considering the majority of the cost to install these kits is in the prep work and not the installation.

My friend is doing a 991 RSR conversion to a turbo S using factory CF fenders. It is amazing how light and good the quality is. Total fender weight is about 3 pounds but even that requires a lot of work prior to paint.

i did not get a chance to see the FG in raw form just saw it after it was painted, i was suprised how thick the FG , ive had a few cars that have FG bumpers etc that came from japan and this by far is probably one of the thickest ive seen.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 PM
juntsky
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
This ^. Boils down to price-paid -vs- value-received.

IMHO, far too much paid for Nakai-san involvement.

I will also say this - I am a purist, BUT this bolt-on wide-body look does not offend me. Just like I love the 993GT2 car.

but I WILL also add that mixing fiberglass onto a metal car does not sit right with me. If you're going to spend the $$$, at least butt weld metal flares on,... please.

so the bottom line (just like a LOT of other things), is that if the buyer has the CASH,... then to-each-his-own on how he spends it.

=Steve
not to argue but you realize that 993 GT2 flares are also fiberglass? as well as most bumpers and body panels on many cars.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

There are also lots of cars for sale with fiberglass conversions from the 80's and 90's listed for a fraction of what an all original steel car would sell for.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 PM
NOGLYCL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An RWB car was done in my home town. They had a big unveiling at a local shop, I was pretty disappointed. I kind of assumed he came in and went right through the car, it didn't seem that way. Car was a 964 Cab, the paint was BRUTAL, no way to sugar coat it, interior was rough and was left untouched, I saw signs of self tapping metal screws all over the place in terms of attaching the various pieces. People who didn't know any better seemed to be giving the car a lot of love but I talked with a lot of other people who were pretty excited when they found out an RWB was being built in town but thoroughly disappointed with the end result.

The car turns heads if you're 20' away or on Instagram. Maybe that's all the owner was expecting?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
This car definitely needs to get more attention. Epic build Cobalt! Start growing your hair out and chain smoking, and soon you'll be asked to travel the world building cars.... looks like you'll be staying for more than 48hrs to get these builds done though.

I really want to do another build and I have had some people approach me however I have no interest in building a car for someone as much as building it to my satisfaction and if someone is interested I would consider selling. The problem is, as my wife points out is I have a hard time letting go of things.

Oh well.

Originally Posted by juntsky
not to argue but you realize that 993 GT2 flares are also fiberglass? as well as most bumpers and body panels on many cars.
Actually the factory parts are made from a flexible resin and not FG. It may be a subconscious thing but for some reason the 934 and 993GT2 lend itself to the look better. The 993 was so hard to tell by looking at one if it was a WB or NB so the flairs guarantee it was uniquely different. There is no denying the differences between a NB and WB 964.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NOGLYCL
An RWB car was done in my home town. They had a big unveiling at a local shop, I was pretty disappointed. I kind of assumed he came in and went right through the car, it didn't seem that way. Car was a 964 Cab, the paint was BRUTAL, no way to sugar coat it, interior was rough and was left untouched, I saw signs of self tapping metal screws all over the place in terms of attaching the various pieces. People who didn't know any better seemed to be giving the car a lot of love but I talked with a lot of other people who were pretty excited when they found out an RWB was being built in town but thoroughly disappointed with the end result.

The car turns heads if you're 20' away or on Instagram. Maybe that's all the owner was expecting?
Are you talking about the Calgary car? If so, agree on all points.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

An angle grinder, some self-tappers and some silicon... that sounds like the tools needed for a shower door install, not Porsche bodywork, lol.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 PM
NOGLYCL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Are you talking about the Calgary car? If so, agree on all points.
Yup, the Calgary car was indeed the one I was speaking of. It's the only RWB car I've seen in person and I don't want to paint them all with the same brush, but the Calgary car was extremely disappointing and I know you and I weren't the only people to feel that way I heard some extremely harsh criticism of the car and from people who up until that point were kind of RWB fanboys.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NOGLYCL
Yup, the Calgary car was indeed the one I was speaking of. It's the only RWB car I've seen in person and I don't want to paint them all with the same brush, but the Calgary car was extremely disappointing and I know you and I weren't the only people to feel that way I heard some extremely harsh criticism of the car and from people who up until that point were kind of RWB fanboys.
thats on the owner , its their responsibility to get the paint and other things done and ready for nakai when he arrives..

its up to the owner on what condition the car will be..

Quick Reply: Sat in on a RWB build...my .02