Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 tail pipe smoking oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:14 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having exactly the same problem but after the car has been stored in a garage for at least 17 years, first time we started the car after changing all fluids & belts, my neighbours came home after thinking my house was on fire due to the amount of smoke coming out of my garage. I had to go get a big corrugated tube to run the smoke out of my garage in other starts-ups.

One of the things I have made to the car is open up the rear big muffler to install a dual tip, thanks God I did that as I reckon the car would have catch fire due to the amount of oil and junk soaked in oil inside the muffler...

Still smoking a bit of oil after running the car for some half hour or so, everytime a little less, haven't had the chance to drive it though as before that I need to go through an MOT to be able to drive it legally, but would like to get rid of all oil before going through an smog test. I am also planning on adding some kind of additive to the new fresh oil in the car, as I do think an oil ring has not settle correctly in my car after all these years of storage.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM
carreraaficionado
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a picture with half of the intake removed. That is oil that is dripping out of that pipe!

This has been a common site watching this car smoke for a few days. I dropped the exhaust and was amazed at the amount of oil that poured out.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:02 AM
carreraaficionado
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted 2 pics of the car. As much oil as I found in the intake, I also found quite a bit in the exhaust. Enough that a lot was just poured out. I drove the car Friday night and Saturday. The car had a bad misfire/surging issue, as well as a check engine light. Also found that the Speedo didn't work. These cars need to be driven, not stored, or set up for a bunch of years.
I have a "T-obd" tool that simulates something like the Bosch Hammer so I can read fault codes. I had a air flow meter code. I took the black cover off the top and cleaned the contacts and reassembled, but still kept the a dash light and was missing. Car was also hard to start and had a rough idle.
I got the car really, really cheap, but a lot of maintenance needs to be done. I ordered new Bosch 3 electrode spark plugs, a new distributor cap and rotor, an air filter, a fuel filter, and a new DME relay. I'm hoping I see results on Wednesday when my parts arrive.
Today will be good too, my rims arrive today.

Not Speedlines, but a 3rd of the price.

I have a set of Bridgestone Comp T/A tires on order for them.

I also have to look at the brakes. When I was out driving it this weekend, the brakes pedal was very heavy. I am suspecting the Brake Master $$$ylinder. I haven't done any investigating on the brakes yet other than driving the car.

But right now enjoying the small accomplishment of getting it running again!

Quick Reply: 964 tail pipe smoking oil