Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z's performance to a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:58 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting -- the weak spot in the Z's design may be the multi-model platform that adds so much weight. J
yeah that and a multi-engine designed to have the broadest coverage of Nissan/Infiniti models. to me it's a bit compromised. YMMV. But IMHO, its still a gorgeous car.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Still interesting that the 350Z, despite it's multiplatform heritage has an all aluminum V6, aluminum gearbox, aluminum suspension parts and subframes, aluminum hood and a carbon fiber drive shaft.

The Track model has forged aluminum wheels and aluminum brake calipers.

Nissan at least tried to keep the weight down with expensive technologies, even at a low price point!!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Nissan, by far sets the benchmark for Japanese design right now. No small thanks to Renault for the infusion of money. The new Z is a bargain. I Still love the timeless look of the TT Z32.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: update

Originally posted by JoeW
Coincidentally, November's "Pit Talk" arrived today with Goughary's car on the cover, dents from a first-lap squeeze and all! And, actually, it isn't a 350 at all, no matter what it looks like, but a strange hybrid -- "...this year his 300ZX has morphed into a 350Z. It is the same chassis but a different motor, body and weight."
Now that's interesting. I knew he raced a 300ZX last year in GT-2 and I knew his 350 this year was a far cry from stock. But I figured the engine was at least the same because there's an interview (small paragraph) with his engine builder on nissannews.com / infinitinews.com where he commented on the 350's 3.5L: http://www.infinitinews.com/events/n...25161139.shtml

Interesting -- the weak spot in the Z's design may be the multi-model platform that adds so much weight. J
This is true. In efforts to reduce cost and eliminate debt, Nissan has basic FWD and RWD platforms (ranging from short to long wheelbase) that all of the Nissan / Infiniti lineup uses. The 350 shares the same platform / suspension (albeit spring, strut, sway bar rates) with the G35 sedan / coupe and FX SUV. However, the 350 has additional underbody bracing as well as front and rear strut tower braces (front being adjustable).

Also, the full size spare tire weighs a whopping 40lbs and the factory exhaust (y-pipe, straight pipe, and muffler) weigh at least twice as much as a 996 exhaust (mufflers)!

Originally posted by Flatsixer
I think Nissan, by far sets the benchmark for Japanese design right now.
And there is good reason for this. Nissan has always used Porsches as their performance benchmark and it clearly shows in some of their ad campaigns (likewise, Infiniti uses BMW as their benchmark). This not meant in a bad way, but rather in a complimentary fashion.

Michael.

Quick Reply: 350Z's performance to a 964?