How should I tackle this footwell rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:17 AM
stuttgart911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I tackle this footwell setup

Hi folks,

Need some guidance. What's the best way to address the issue pictured below. Any DIYs on how I should tackle it?

Attached Images    

Last edited by stuttgart911; 04-05-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 AM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quickly, put the carpet back down, and pretend you saw nothing.

I would scrape it with a putty knife or if I was feeling more aggressive I'd use a wood chisel and the a 3" green 3M bristle disc on an angle die grinder (after masking off the entire interior). If your feeling really adventurous try and poke an ice pick through the floor board area, after assessing the target area free from any critical wires, tubes or hoses.

If you have rust perforation, the ultimate fix is new metal, but that can get expensive and keep your car off the road. If the car is a driver, then I'd probably opt to go with an epoxy patch like POR Patch, and then treat the entire rusted area with POR 15.

If you have a somewhat rusty chassis, there's more.

EDIT: I don't like the speaker wires on the floor board, that's wrong on many levels

Last edited by A914MAN; 05-31-2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 AM
stuttgart911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha. the first time I saw it I put back down the foam and carpet and said to myself "i will deal with that after my next work deadline"

why mask off the entire interior? and by mask off you mean cover everything with liner and tape the seals? I hope you're kidding about the ice pick?

RE: speaker wire. it was done by the previous owner. the whole sound system needs to be addressed.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Mask of area around work area is to stop splatter if you use sander or wire brush - the spray of particles will go every where as you try to remove rust.
The ice pic is to determine just how bad rust is. It is used like a probe, looking for bad soft spots. Worse case is if it goes through the floor.
There are a lot of rust treatments out there - look in a Summit catalog or on web sight-
Good luck
Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gus is on point. You mask off the interior to keep all the dust from paint and rust from going all over the interior of your car.

Not kidding on the ice pick. I use it whenever I'm looking at any vintage car, with owner's permission of course. If you can't poke through then it's good enough to keep. If you can, then you have to decide how you want to proceed.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Have checked the whole floor pan? Looks aggressive in that spot.

Quick Reply: How should I tackle this footwell rust