Sponsored by:

Glove box

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 08:02 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Glove box

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this. The glove box latch on our C2 has broken - I've had this problem on another C2. Does anyone know if this is an easy DIY, or should I just take it to the shop? Thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 08:07 AM
ian c - u.k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piece of cake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you're in a non-airbag car (old style knee bars)
open the lid , undo the big nut , take out the lock !!!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

The PO on my 92 C2 has two receipts where the Jim Ellis service writer was asked to fix the glove box door. I still does not work properly, but at least it stays closed and does not rattle. Sorry, I have not attempted to fix it yet. I will watch this thread to see if anyone has been through this with success. Mine is a USA spec car, and has the passenger side air bag.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:13 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Afraid I'm guilty of posting before thinking.

US spec car, passenger side air bag. As you all know, the glove box locking mechanism is controlled by a **** on the outside of the box. Turning the **** moves bits in the glove box door, which fasten at the center inside of the door to a black, u-shaped metal piece hanging down from the inside roof of the box. My problem was that the u shaped piece had fallen out. I wrongly assumed the u had broken off.

The u shaped piece is held in place by 2 phillips head screws. Loosening those screws allowed me to replace and reposition the u piece. With the screws loosened, the u piece can be moved up and down or in and out (steady, lads). After quite a bit of repositioning, I was able to get the door to work just fine. If your glove box is not opening and closing properly, I'd start with these 2 screws.

I think this was the fix I needed - guess I'll find out, if I ever open the glove box again. If I've done wrong, please tell me. This chore has exhausted my wrenching skills for now, but at least I'm certified in Glove Box.

Regards, Will
Old 11-18-2003, 09:00 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I am glad to hear it was simple. It also sounds like it is a matter of patient adjustments, which is far better done on a DYI basis than by a professional that needs to bill hours. I can't see anything physically wrong with mine, so it is probably just a matter of getting the adjustment correct.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How well your glove box opens and closes is also affected by how tight this nut is on the inside of the door:

On my own car, this has loosened several times over the years, making the box difficult to shut. But, if I make it too tight, the door is almost impossible to open. Someday, I'll get motivated, and either install a spacer or use loctite.

Had the same problem on my '84 Carrera...I think it's a lousy design. Springer 3...I wouldn't be surprised if this nut's adjustment wasn't the source of the P.O.'s two dealer receipts.

Quick Reply: Glove box