Sponsored by:

Function First - My 1990 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:07 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd

Hence, the name of my thread. I hope it reminds me to focus on function first, cosmetics later.
After some research I picked up 21mm spacers for the rear and 5mm spacers for the front and installed today.
I'll play devil's advocate here. How is installing 21 mm spacers on the rear wheels (for no less than D90 wheels) a "function first" upgrade?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I have the 1991 version of your Tip. Red over tan. Search my posts I think I have something on tiptronic fluid flush.
Wil do. Thank you Sir.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kreeshp
I'll play devil's advocate here. How is installing 21 mm spacers on the rear wheels (for no less than D90 wheels) a "function first" upgrade?
Wider track makes the car handle better. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Removing the bumperettes improves aerodynamics.

But I admit Ive been too focused on cosmetics. But in my defense I have replaced the ICV, fixed the loose door lock, had the radio display corrected, replaced the worn frunk struts and replaced the useless cassette holder with a functional storage bin.

That counts right? RIGHT?

Plus in a few weeks she gets a full 60,000 miles service.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

OK figured out why I had no radio reception and posted about it here in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post14294331

Post #10

I also replaced the E-Brake tray because mine was cracked and installed a G-pipe. No photos of those though.

Last edited by rkwfxd; 07-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

OK spent a few hours going over the A/C yesterday. Last week it stopped blowing cold. Quick look revealed compressor was not engaging, most likely from a low charge.

Replaced the dryer and tested the system. All the joints were good but of course the new dryer was leaking at the weld.

Replaced the dryer again and continued our tests. The detector found seeping from a hose under the hood and one from the condenser. No bubbles but the detector found them.

I understand this is fairly common in that our hoses (90 C2) were designed for R12 and now with the R134 it can seep out. I'm not willing to replace all of the hoses right now so we purged the system with nitrogen and then recharged with R134.

Stationary in my garage I was getting vent temps of 52 while it was 85 degrees outside. I think that is pretty good. Time will tell just how bad that "seeping" is and how often I need to add R134.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Wider track makes the car
How does it look?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Here is a before and after of the rear wheel.

I think it looks great!
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I think it looks great!
I agree! Are you leaving the fronts as-is?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I added 5mm up front. Not as significant.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:13 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Couple of shots with the clear lenses and wheel spacers.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 PM
SAJohn
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 1990 Targa 964 in "Cop Attention" Red 9 years ago. The first thing I did was read all of the old posts here with special attention to Adrain Streather's and bought his book "Porsche 911 Enthusiat's Companion Carrera 1989-1994". I printed out all of the most important tips and organized them into a folder with emphasis on DIY topics. Oil changes and valve adjustment posts are especially useful.

I also bought a diagnostics code reader from Forum member RichardoD. It is a comfort to have but my 27 year old love has never thrown a code. Mine now has mid 70K mileage on the odometer and no problems. The only real modifications I have done is to bypass the second muffler and fix up the faded break light lens. The build quality and reliability of 964's is beyond belief.

Tips you probably know: Stay below 4,000 rpm until the engine is up to temperature. Let the engine idle for a minute before shutting the engine down so that the oil can settle down. When at temperature take the engine to near redline often enough to keep the cylinder walls happy (this is best done in 1st gear to avoid a serious speeding ticket). When changing the oil get the engine up to temperature (I put a blanket over the back to help) and do not over fill. Install only top quality tires (the rears need changing about twice as often as the fronts), and make certain the tire pressures are perfect and the tires warm before doing any spirited driving. For daily driving comfort, I drop the tire pressures down about 5 psi from maximum with no signs of unusual tire wear.

I worry about my 27 year old airbags.

Think about replacing the interconnect belt for the dual spark plugs. This design was not one of Porsche's best engineering designs. No airplane dual plug system uses a rubber belt connection that I am aware of. (I am a retired Aerospace Engineer.)

When the doors are open there is a small panel to gain access to the mirror controls. Do not over tighten the retaining screw as the panel will crack. The outside rear mirrors will pivot to a flush position. I do not recommend that you use this feature because, with enough cycles, it will unscrew the mirror. At speed this could cause you paint damage and a missing mirror assembly. Even if that does not happen reattaching the mirror is a PITA.

Avoid gravel roads, even when you are going dead, slow some evil truck will go by at high speed the other way and blast your windscreen and beautiful paint with flying gravel.

Buy a top quality radar detector as these machines will go to triple digits in the blink of an eye.

Your speakers may need attention, my original stock ones are about shot.

Do not let these guys talk you out of your stock wheels, they are beautiful.

Red is my favorite color, I even married a redhead.

John
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (06-27-2020)
Old 07-09-2017, 05:40 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Yes to all of that.

I already have Adrian's book and a variety of threads bookmarked just as you suggest. I have decades of experience with air cooled motorcycles and treat this the same with a nice little warm up and cool down and no hard driving until the "blood is flowing and the joints are loosened up."

What air pressure are you running? I am currently at 32 and 36 but this is just for street driving. Have not AX or tracked the car yet.

While I do most of my own work usually and will on this, Monday it goes in to a professional for a 60,000 tune up and once over to include Tip flush, PS flush with new PS belt, new Disty belt, plugs, wires, rotors and caps.

One of those door end caps was cracked by a PO. Now replaced by me.

My car will never see dirt or gravel and yep, I've been sorting antenna issues out and now that the radio is working well it is clear that these speakers need to be upgraded.

Great advise John. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

More good news today from my Indy. My oil leak isn't. Looks like one of my PS lines gave up the ghost. Engine is tight and leak free. 👍🏻
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (06-27-2020)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Aren't D90s supposed to be inflated to 44 lbs? 36 lbs sounds like 17" pressures. From what I remember when making the switch.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

No clue. They were all at 30 when I got it and felt OK on the street. The 20" on my 991 are recommended 44 all around but I started running them at 31/32 and 36 for AX and liked it so thats what I put in these.

Ill have to do some more research and experimentation.

Plus, Im working on getting a set of 17s now.

Quick Reply: Function First - My 1990 964 C2