Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017 | 02:23 PM
spevie
Advanced

Default Amplifier replacement?

My 1990 C2 was originally sold without any amplifier. The original radio, Blaupunkt Reno II, is still working, although not very loud. Should I try to find an original or replacement amplifier using the original radio, or just leave things as they are, or get a more modern stereo system? I'm not really interested in listening to music.
Old 05-04-2017 | 02:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spevie
My 1990 C2 was originally sold without any amplifier. The original radio, Blaupunkt Reno II, is still working, although not very loud. Should I try to find an original or replacement amplifier using the original radio, or just leave things as they are, or get a more modern stereo system? I'm not really interested in listening to music.
Unless you are collecting the car swap it out for something newer. These head units sucked no matter what you did. I have one 964 the PO spent thousands on amps and speakers but retained the CR-1 radio and 6 disc changer and my other car with factory speakers and a Nakamichi CD-500 radio sounds superior and louder.

Although I would hang onto the original you never know you may sell the car someday and someone might have interest in originality.
Old 05-04-2017 | 04:18 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

I replaced my amp with a bluetooth amp. Now I can switch between stock radio, and Spotify thru the Bluetooth amp. Drives two 6.5 front speakers. Simple and keeping all stock wiring.
Old 05-05-2017 | 11:00 AM
buckybadger
Track Day

I just had the Porsche Classic radio/gps installed. Expensive but works fantastic, looks original and has 4x45 watt amp so there is no need for an external amp. Replaced an after market system (PO spent thousands on just as Cobalt's) which didn't work well and drained the battery to boot!

Quick Reply: Amplifier replacement?