Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS America Options - best for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS America Options - best for DE?

I'm looking at buying an RSAmerica for autocross and DE... However, I am new to the DE game and have received a TON of good advice over the on the RACING FORUM... As I have begun to research RSAs, I have noticed that many do not have LSD and many do have sunroofs. At 6'3", I worry about headroom with the sunroof (w/helmet). Is this a concern? More importantly, I have searched the various posts regarding LSD and feel that it is an option that would be very helpful. Should I worry about this in a RSA, or should I just find a good car w/o it and add LSD later?

Your comments would be very helpful as I try to find the perfect DE car for my driving tastes!

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 11-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6'2" and have an RSA without sunroof and with LSD. My guess is that the sunroof provides from 1 to 1.5" less head room. In a 964 with sunroof, my helmet brushes the headliner, so I try to "sit short." Some tall folks have replaced the OE seat and used a seat lowering kit for extra headroom. As for the LSD, I'd look for a RSA with it, as it helps on track/autocross, and it would be more expensive to add it to a car that doesn't have it. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

adding LSD is about $1500 (at least on the 993 cost that much).

if you use recaro or any other race seat, you can gain about 1/2 to 3/4" of headroom over stock seats.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I would sit in the car with and without suntop with a helmet on. I am long waisted and just clear the headliner in my suntop free car even with a lowered seat. A student's RSA I rode in last week had me scrunched with my head at an angle with my helmet on to the extent I would not have felt comfortable driving the car.

I don't know what your budget is, but a more suitable DE car would be a Carrera Cup USA. They do not have a suntop and come with many features that are desirable for track use. Some of these things are: seam welded chassis, rolled fender lips, larger brakes with hydraulic assist, HD LSD, Gearbox with closer ratios and steel syncros, light weight flywheel (that doesn't stall since DME correct for it), 10 more Horsepower, Suspension with monobals and much stiffer springs and shocks, harder rubber in the suspension, trans and engine mounts, 200 pounds less weight, set up for kill switches and other stuff that would be expensive and difficult to add to an RSA
Old 11-16-2003, 02:27 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a DE-only car, I would be inclined to agree with Cupcar--a race car may be worth considering. There's actually a gent down in Texas, Steve Patti, who offers to import 993RS, 964RS and Euro 964 Cup Cars through the PCA Mart classifieds. I have no affiliation but thought if I had a spare $50 - $75K to spend, I might look into this. This Patti fellow also Club Races a 964RS Clubsport.

1992 964 European Cup Car

Steve Patti at 2003 PCA Club Race at Mosport.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 09-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The only issue with the Euro cars is that they are not licenseable for street use if that is a requirement.

BTW the green car above is in '93 season trim with 18" (8 and 9.5 inch wide)3 piece wheels , the yellow car is in '92 season trim with 17" (8 and 9.5 inch wide) cast aluminum wheels.

Quick Reply: RS America Options - best for DE?