Sponsored by:

Funny Noise...Hard to describe

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funny Noise...Hard to describe

I have an interesting noise that seems to be coming from the intake portion of my engine, perhaps the throttle body. It is hard to describe the sound but kind of like a buzzing/rattle/loose bracket/?

Has anyone heard anything like this before? I realize sounds don't always come across well on recordings but you can hear it in the attached clip.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Porsche Sound.mp3 (162.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure its not a squirrel? (sorry, couldn't help myself) i'd snoop around in there and make sure nothing is loose.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Originally Posted by speedbagger

sure its not a squirrel? (sorry, couldn't help myself) i'd snoop around in there and make sure nothing is loose.
Ha! I guess that was kind of a lay up.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:21 PM
tfitch03
Racer

no SWAG's?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:49 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Using my stethoscope it seems to be coming from the resonance flap arena. Going to try and get in there and take a look. Wish me luck.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:48 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's definitely from your resonance flap, my car does the same thing. I think the bushings for the shaft wear out and allow it to rattle. If you reach your hand back there with the engine running and hold onto the lever for the flap, the noise should go away.
That noise drives me insane. I need to pull the resonance chamber out and see about getting some bushings made, I don't think they're available as a spare part.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Thanks for your reply! I am glad to have some company with this. I will take a look at it tonight to see if I can get my hand in there. Like you, this also drives me insane. I dont want to have to buy an entire intake manifold to get it to go away though. If I can find a fix I will let you know. Please do the same. If you end up going the route of getting bushings made, have them make a set for me and I will send you some USD's.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:12 AM
tfitch03
Racer

I confirmed last night it is the resonance flap chattering around in its bushings. Does anyone that has experienced this in the past have any creative solutions aside from replacing the entire throttle body? I havent taken mine apart yet to see how it is installed but I am thinking the shaft of the flap is mounted in some brass bushings? Maybe those can be hammer out, new ones machined and pressed back in? I borrowed the attached picture from the internet but I circled the part I was able to touch to stop the chattering.

Quick Reply: Funny Noise...Hard to describe