Sponsored by:

Metalic Slate Gray to Gray Slate Gray -

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Metalic Slate Gray to Gray Slate Gray -

You know that you have too much time on your hands when you start playing around with car colors just to see what they would look like - painted only the new body parts to see what the color would look like.
Even more concerning when you start changing bodies and suspension positions.
Anyway this is my latest play ground adventure. The one good aspect is that I cut 300lbs off the car. Am now am at 2417lb less driver.
Have more to do as is a work in progress -
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I love all the experimenting and "tinkering" that you do!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dig the color combo. What did you replace to get the weight down so significantly?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Color combo is interesting, original metallic slate gray and the older nonmetallic slate gray on all the new body parts plus modified rear bumper. I like the older color look and may repainted car that color. Just playing with colors now.
I have pulled and replaced all removable body parts with fiberglass. Front fenders, nose, doors, roof, rear deck and rear bumper. Replaced seats with PP. Of course a lot of other smaller stuff has been removed as I have worked on car.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 AM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful car being formed! Congrats on what you have done so far...
What is that front bumper? Very cool!

Availability, weight and price would be nice...
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I dig the color combo. What did you replace to get the weight down so significantly?
I'm curious as well, thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Weight reduction has progressed over a period of time.
The last 300 lb drop was obtained by replacing doors, fenders and front with fiberglass. I also made an abbreviated rear bumper to work with my concept for a different rear design, still have several more parts to fabricate for this. Prior to that the rear deck and hood were replaced with fiberglass units.
Seats were replaced with Recaro PP's and all interior carpet and sound proofing was removed. Removed rear seats completely. Will replace rear carpet with lighter weight soon. All front carpet is replaced with Rennline aluminum floor and footrest. AC has been removed. One of biggest weight savers was removal of Cab top and hardware replacing with a fiberglass top shell that I found here in the US. An individual made the fiberglass top for Cabs shortly after the Cabs came out and I was lucky to obtain the last one he had - it only weighs 17 lbs. Others weight savings comes from my to have an abundance of left over nuts and bolts every time I work on the car. Have added a little weight back in with the roll bar and custom front bumper under fiberglass shell. Just a continuing work in progress. Thanks for interest. Oh! The slats on the right side of front nose are for the oil cooler which I adjusted the position of to face more directly into on coming air. The larger opening just before the right front wheel well is the air exit from oil cooler.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Oh! All parts are from GT Racing - "no affil" if you go to the web sight the have the weight of parts posted. Lots of interesting items to look at.

Quick Reply: Metalic Slate Gray to Gray Slate Gray -