Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if only high beam goes out on one side, does entire headlamp need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Default if only high beam goes out on one side, does entire headlamp need replacement?

On my 92 C4 the headlights work fine, but on one side the high beam stopped working; so if I flash my brights, only one light goes to high beam.

To fix this, does the entire headlight bulb need replacement, or are there multiple bulbs? I have not yet dipped into the head light assembly to see, so I wanted to see what everyone thought first.

My second question, does a 92 C4 have an H5 bulb, or H4 if it's stock (as far as I can tell)?

Thank you everyone!!!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a single headlight bulb on each side. Each bulb has two filaments - one for high beam and one for low beam. You'll have to replace the entire bulb. It's really easy, although it's been a while since I did mine so I can't remember the exact procedure. Just don't mess with the screws hidden beneath the rubber plugs around the headlight rings. Those are to adjust the light path of the headlights, and are not for removal.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All US versions of the 964 are delivered with H5 standard.
Have you checked the fuses. The high and low beams have their own fuse, 4 of them in total.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-14-2003, 07:33 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

When I bought my '90 C2 in Nov. of 2001, both high beams were inoperative.

I thought surely its a switch problem or there is a common fuse blown. Nope. My dealer sorted it out for me. BOTH bulbs were bad.

I would not have expected a dual bulb failure.

BGL

Quick Reply: if only high beam goes out on one side, does entire headlamp need replacement?