Request tire brand suggestion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:42 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Request tire brand suggestion.

Fiske, 17", 9 x 11.

I have experience with Michelin, Hankook and Pirelli on Porsches but I feel M and P are overpriced. Open to comments if cost justified.

Mostly dry weather driving, public roads, 35 Degrees F and above.

Thanks, Todd
Old 04-07-2017, 02:52 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

No expirerence with M & Ps but really like my Hankooks
Old 04-07-2017, 03:40 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Some (snobby) people think they're cr*p, but I have had Sumitomo HTRZ IIs on my 911 for around 10 years and 50,000 miles now (several sets) and been very pleased with them.

They're grippy, quiet, long lasting and relatively cheap.

I happened upon them when I got a random flat tire on my way to the Hershey swap meet and they were the only "performance" tire that the tire shop in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania had in stock in the right size. I figured that I would go back to Michelins once they wore out, but was so happy with them that I bought another set (and another after that, when I upgraded to 18 inch wheels).

I am apparently not alone, as they have very good reviews on tirerack.com. See: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Model=HTR+Z+II

Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:16 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I had the Sumitomo HTRZ III a couple sets ago and really liked those...

Last year I replaced my tires when I had new suspension installed. When I asked for a recommendation the head tech said, "Continental, it's made in Germany..." (actually the fronts are made in France, rears in Germany). Sounds good to me, and six months later I still really happy with them.

Quite, tons of grip, and had held up really well in regards to wear.

It looks like Conti just came out with an improved version:

EXTREMECONTACT SPORTMax Performance Summer
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
Some (snobby) people think they're cr*p, but I have had Sumitomo HTRZ IIs on my 911 for around 10 years and 50,000 miles now (several sets) and been very pleased with them.

I happened upon them when I got a random flat tire on my way to the Hershey swap meet and they were the only "performance" tire that the tire shop in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania had in stock in the right size. I figured that I would go back to Michelins once they wore out, but was so happy with them that I bought another set (and another after that, when I upgraded to 18 inch wheels).

I am apparently not alone, as they have very good reviews on tirerack.com. See: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Model=HTR+Z+II

Best of luck!
+1 on Sumitomos. I have Sumitomo HTR Z III's on my Subaru WRX and their All Season Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 on my Audi A3. I've been very happy with their combination of performance, durability, and noise level.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

I like Continental, and will probably buy the new Extreme Contact summers when I go through my current DWs.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going with Toyo R888. Great tire for the price. Problems: a bit loud and gotta watch wet roads.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD

Best of luck!
I also really like these. The are a little loud and don't last as long as the "premium" makes, but they are an excellent tire for the money and recently were revamped from HTR II to HTR III--supposed better wet traction out of the III.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:34 AM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on Continentals. The extreme contact DW (NOT DWS, thats a snow tire) is a great set I'm currently running. I plan on changing to the new tire just released by Continental, the Extreme contact sport down the road when I get my Fikse Fuchs soon. The replacement to the DW puts a higher emphasis on dry grip, and have fixed the softer sidewalls, and increased tread wear. I've had Sumitomos, and enjoyed them, but the 300 tread rating went fast in the rear. The DW has a 340 rating which helps, but overall has been a much better tire for me. I'm excited to try the replacement for the DW with my new set of tires soon.

Also the DW is very affordable for a premium name tire.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Plus 1 on the Hankooks R compound summer tires, reasonable price, and much quieter than the Yokahomas they replaced.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:56 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hankook Ventus V12's

I have them on different cars. My buddy has them on his .2GT3 and boxster. It's our go to tire from Tire Rack or Discount Tires Direct
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Summer tires are useless under 45 degrees. Tire noise is an issue with many of these listed. R compounds are IMO great for dual purpose but mostly DE and AX and are very noisy especially the R888.. I would not run them as street tires and most suck if you get stuck in the rain. You will never use their potential on the street and if you are you are driving to fast to be safe.

The Michelin SS or PS2 IMO is the best all around summer tire but the others aren't bad. Continental as mentioned is a great bargain compared to the M's but not quite as good. If you like stiff sidewalls Pirelli but I am not a huge fan of stiff sidewall tires.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I recently put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's on my car, excellent all-season tire with exceptionally good dry performance. I really like them.....
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I had the Sumitomo HTRZ III a couple sets ago and really liked those...

Last year I replaced my tires when I had new suspension installed. When I asked for a recommendation the head tech said, "Continental, it's made in Germany..." (actually the fronts are made in France, rears in Germany). Sounds good to me, and six months later I still really happy with them.

Quite, tons of grip, and had held up really well in regards to wear.

It looks like Conti just came out with an improved version:

EXTREMECONTACT SPORTMax Performance Summer
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=
I live on Mulholland Drive here in LA, right off the old racecourse, I go through a lot of tires, the Sumitomos are a fantastic tire and very good wet/dry, easy to control. If I miss a turn I go over a cliff.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Had Michelin pilot sport 2 on my 997 C4S.
Pricey but the best tyre I've ever had!

I've had Falken azenis fk453 on the 964 C4.
Good budget tyre and plenty of grip for street driving.

Currently running Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 on the 964.
Not really budget, but not as costly as the Michelins and slightly better grip than the Falkens.

Also not a lover of Pirelli, over priced italian rubbish, imho

Quick Reply: Request tire brand suggestion.