Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Headlight upgrade: Flat6 Illumination (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/977800-headlight-upgrade-flat6-illumination.html)

gray635 02-27-2017 10:25 PM

Headlight upgrade: Flat6 Illumination

4 Attachment(s)
Guys:

One of the very few things that I've never liked about my car was the poor OE headlights. I finally decided to do something about it and ordered a set of H4 LED lights, with matte black headlight rings, from Francois at Flat6 Illumination. www.flat6illumination.com

Unfortunately, one of the lenses was damaged in the first shipment, but Francois was very prompt in shipping me a completely new set of lights and reimbursed the cost of shipping the damaged lights back to him. Once the lights arrived, we realized that I would need a set of H4/H5 adaptors, and Francois mailed those promptly, at no additional cost.

It was a bit difficult to mount the new H4 lights, primarily due to the new rubber gaskets, but with another set of hands to press down and in on the lights, I was finally able to secure them - I used my original mounting screws rather than the longer bolts supplied with the kit. Also had to retap the threads in the headlight bucket mounting brackets due to some rust and cross-threading by the PO.

I am very pleased with the fit and finish. Fitment is "tighter" than the original H5 lights, which have a fairly large gap between the lens and the headlight ring. These lights have no such issue. Here are some photos of the car with the new lights - taken very late in the day, with no flash and a point and shoot camera, so the pix aren't the best. I think the matte black rings look good with the black Fuchs and the RSA tail. I wish the LED lights were just a bit brighter, but they are a big improvement from the OE lights and, as opposed to the HID lights, draw less power and don't require any additional wiring other than the H5/H4 adaptor. Installation really is "plug and play".:thumbup:

C4inLA 02-27-2017 11:04 PM

Would like to see a pic(s) in use at night.... Car looks good...

Duc Hunter 03-08-2017 08:28 AM

How much better is the lighting? That is me is the important part.

Oh I know how new headlights gaskets can make you create new curse words. I went though that when I put H4's in my car.

jgj 03-08-2017 08:10 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6341547b75.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ea0d48779c.jpg

Originally Posted by C4inLA (Post 13991700)
Would like to see a pic(s) in use at night.... Car looks good...

This is low and high beam at night with François' product. Not much visible difference as it is a long straight road with no obstructions. But I can tell you the difference with stock is remarkable on a real life night drive.

klokwerk 03-08-2017 08:14 PM

I've got these installed on my car too. Haven't had a chance to test them out though.
I'm looking forward to being able to drive at night again!

RADONCulous 03-08-2017 08:33 PM

For those of us a bit on the fence about completely replacing the headlight units are there any bulbs that can be swapped for an enhanced effect?

wallra 03-08-2017 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had LED light bulbs installed befor I put these lights in. what I foung out with the LED's I really had no HI LOW beam. They were nice and bright but just on LO beam. plus with the LED's I lost radio reseption. I also have LED's in my fog lights. I was just out tonight and love the headlights now.

jimq 03-09-2017 08:15 PM

Try silverstars. Lot better than stock.

Mark78 03-23-2017 02:25 AM

I think your car looks cool and the matte black rings look good with the black Fuchs and the RSA tail. Recently I also bought new headlights on https://www.uzooka.com/porsche-headlights/. I have also put the blackout headlight on my car. The black trim around the headlights makes such a big difference improving the look of the car. It helps to make a distinct division between the paint and the clear of the headlights. I think it looks classy. Good luck!

cweed 04-08-2017 10:03 AM

Just installed a set from Francois on my 93 coupe, they look and work great.
I can drive at night again......

jgj 04-08-2017 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by klokwerk (Post 14015939)
I've got these installed on my car too. Haven't had a chance to test them out though.
I'm looking forward to being able to drive at night again!

How are yours working out klokwerk?

klokwerk 04-10-2017 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jgj (Post 14096580)
How are yours working out klokwerk?

So far I've been most impressed with how much better they are over my old H5's.
I'm still amazed with what I put up with and I'm really liking the new Flat6Illumination lights.

First, I want to thank Francois for making this product, and, I want to let my fellows here know what great customer service he provides!
There were a couple issues with my first set of lights and instead of being the typical small business type, he helped me through it without ever once questioning if I did something wrong. In the end, he made it right and now I'm a very happy and loyal customer.

Next I think I have to mention is the high beam performance of these LEDs is pretty good, but not 'flood the world with light' good. Low beam performance is awesome. Just what I needed.

I love how they look on the car and how well they perform. Overall I'm glad I made the purchase. Definitely would recommend to others.

trice9 08-17-2017 06:23 PM

xenon or LED?

For those that have done this, which did you choose (xenon or LED), and why? For those that may have seen both, how would you describe the performance vs each other, for both low and high beam. Thanks.

GeorgeK 08-18-2017 07:59 AM

A picture of the projected light against a wall at ca. 20ft?

dukmon 08-30-2017 05:44 PM

Hey.................

Any more feedback on the Flat 6 Illumination lights?

I'm considering the Bi-Xenon in part because they're available in 4300k in lieu of the really white 6000k.

What say you, sayers??