Sponsored by:

Anyone driven a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by roastbeef
like i mentioned before, you'll never be in the lowest tier of electricity billing with electric vehicle charging.

i charge on a 110v circuit at 18amps. even when charging at a higher voltage (more efficient to charge at higher volts/amps), when factoring in the quotes i got for the required electrical work, my costs of charging in billing tier two and three (three in the summer time) would never be more than the costs after getting a dedicated circuit panel for the lower tier. it was cheaper to pay more for the electricity than to get the 11 cents per kw/hr rate after paying for all the charger and wiring.

if i'm wrong, i have no problem with being corrected and i don't take offense to it. if you have a different experience, please do share.
No problem. A couple notes:

The "lowest tier of electricity" is always available overnight, when usage is at it's lowest. That's when the majority of people charge their cars. Do you not?

I have a half dozen acquaintances with Teslas, none use 110v and I'm quite surprised you haven't invested in 220v if you have an i3. It's really not that expensive to install relative to the cost of any electric car. How many miles/charges were you using to calculate the relative cost of usage vs installation?

Effective MPG at NJ 93 octane costs for the Tesla I have experience with, which is charged at 220v overnight, is 98mpg. That right there is a huge savings over an 750i, A8, or S550. Now factor in the fact that at 88k miles, the Model S is on it's original pads and rotors with more than 50% life on the pads (no, I'm not kidding. ReGen is amazing) and that nothing has been replaced other than 2 prior sets of tires. A BMW is out of warranty at 50k miles, and the 60k service alone would cost more than the 2 extrra sets of tires the Tesla had. You can see why I find your original comment of "think of a tesla as like buying a bmw 7 series. thats about what it will cost." as very misleading to a prospective Tesla buyer, which incited my reply.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting for us in Washington the effective MPG is more around 59 mpg with our costs for fuel and electricity as of last month. Still a big savings but not as big as yours!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 AM
roastbeef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
No problem. A couple notes:

The "lowest tier of electricity" is always available overnight, when usage is at it's lowest. That's when the majority of people charge their cars. Do you not?

I have a half dozen acquaintances with Teslas, none use 110v and I'm quite surprised you haven't invested in 220v if you have an i3. It's really not that expensive to install relative to the cost of any electric car. How many miles/charges were you using to calculate the relative cost of usage vs installation?

Effective MPG at NJ 93 octane costs for the Tesla I have experience with, which is charged at 220v overnight, is 98mpg. That right there is a huge savings over an 750i, A8, or S550. Now factor in the fact that at 88k miles, the Model S is on it's original pads and rotors with more than 50% life on the pads (no, I'm not kidding. ReGen is amazing) and that nothing has been replaced other than 2 prior sets of tires. A BMW is out of warranty at 50k miles, and the 60k service alone would cost more than the 2 extrra sets of tires the Tesla had. You can see why I find your original comment of "think of a tesla as like buying a bmw 7 series. thats about what it will cost." as very misleading to a prospective Tesla buyer, which incited my reply.

Hope that helps.
i have a smart electric car. i did the math and my savings in electricity costs wouldn't overtake the cheapest $600 quote i got to install a 220v outlet, and buy a 220v charger (about $400+). so doing nothing and using my 110 is the cheapest. i believe once someone consumes a set amount of electricity, it jumps to a higher priced tier per kilowatt hour no matter what time you're charging. i could be misunderstanding this, i am not an expert by any stretch.

no sane tesla driver would charge on 110. i was simply using it as an example for how much power can actually be consumed.

i looked at my electricity bill when i first got the car and took a look at the lower tiered cost if i had the power company come out and install a second meter (free of charge, as long as the 220v line had its own breaker box on my dime). this is how i calculated my cost options. my actual commute on a work day, plus a trip to the gym, is 45miles. the advertised range on my car is 68 miles (with lots of disclaimers on various driving conditions). i'll likely be turning this car in with 29,999 miles on it (30k lease).

perhaps i fired from the hip a little too carelessly, i wasn't quite taking into account extended maintenance years down the line. i was simply trying to parallel the monthly costs from new (vehicle cost plus energy consumption). i know on a rainy day, i don't get anywhere near the 68 mile range if i have to use the defroster, wipers, and drive on a clear freeway (little to no brake regen). still cheaper than gas for me, but its a 1,900 lb smart car that has a radio and power windows. i'm just very skeptical that a 4,500lb+ tesla is as cheap to drive as tesla advertises.

i'm not trying to be misleading, just trying to provoke thought and give someone looking into a tesla some insight on things to consider.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just today pulled the trigger on a 2011 997 turbo s as a second car. Have owned the p90dl for 2 years. Can’t recommend it more and continues to be my daily driver. Ask me anything.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

The build quality is complete garbage, I'd rather have my A4.

$100k Cars shouldn't have panel gaps that look like this. a P90D at our store today...

Old 11-22-2017, 04:05 AM
neffets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from Norway I read about el.cars every day in the newspapers, so I don't want to read about them on the 964 forum....
Isn't there a off topic or general discussion catergory this can be put in?

Quick Reply: Anyone driven a Tesla?