Sponsored by:

Pedal spring ID

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Pedal spring ID

Someone help me ID use and placement of spring (#29). Is this a clutch pedal return assist spring, and if so how/where does it attach? I can't find any holes or attachments as shown in the schematic on my 1993 C4 which has the "sticky pedal" syndrome.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The #29 spring is not part of the clutch action. Its attached to the brake pedal to help pull it up after you press on it.

If you look at this photo "borrowed" from Pelican, the #29 spring is in the bottom left corner.

Here is another view. The spring attaches to the pedal bracket and the brake pedal. Its seen just below the yellow circle.

As for your sticky clutch pedal, have you checked for the usual suspects in order of likeliness and expense - roll pin, pedal bushings, clutch hydraulic bleed, renew clutch slave & hose and clutch master?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:49 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

As for your sticky clutch pedal, have you checked for the usual suspects in order of likeliness and expense - roll pin, pedal bushings, clutch hydraulic bleed, renew clutch slave & hose and clutch master?[/QUOTE]

Not to burst your bubble Rob ... But I guess it goes without saying
you aren't familiar with just who C Scrogham is ?

He and his father retired.. own a small shop in southern Va that has won more awards and distinctions in PCA racing as well as concours
events than any large group of well heeled Porschefiles !

I'm reasonably certain his query refers to an item that may just be an update that hadn't occured on one of his shop or customer cars.
I'm sure my '95 doesn't have that spring either , never seen it...
Just a very funny observation
I guess Manhattan Award winners can use a hand ever so often too!

Bert
Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The #29 spring is not part of the clutch action. Its attached to the brake pedal to help pull it up after you press on it.

If you look at this photo "borrowed" from Pelican, the #29 spring is in the bottom left corner.

Here is another view. The spring attaches to the pedal bracket and the brake pedal. Its seen just below the yellow circle.

As for your sticky clutch pedal, have you checked for the usual suspects in order of likeliness and expense - roll pin, pedal bushings, clutch hydraulic bleed, renew clutch slave & hose and clutch master?
Thanks Rob, good question and yes have been through the more normal answers to that question. I (mistakenly) replaced the clutch pedal and bushing flange thinking that age was the culprit, but that really didn't help. Have been through the mechanism and set the main spring pre-adjustment screw like they taught us in P-school which improved the action by maybe 50%. Still some stiction.
Thx for the photo, interesting that this car doesn't have the return spring on the brake pedal, or the holes/bracket in the places shown. This cluster is more like a 993 with no spring. I was hoping there was something else to it that I was missing!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Not to burst your bubble Rob ... But I guess it goes without saying
you aren't familiar with just who C Scrogham is ?

He and his father retired.. own a small shop in southern Va that has won more awards and distinctions in PCA racing as well as concours
events than any large group of well heeled Porschefiles !

I'm reasonably certain his query refers to an item that may just be an update that hadn't occured on one of his shop or customer cars.
I'm sure my '95 doesn't have that spring either , never seen it...
Just a very funny observation
I guess Manhattan Award winners can use a hand ever so often too!

Bert[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words Bert, but it goes without saying that I learn something new about cars that I think I know reasonably well about once a week! Some of these issues 25 years down the road can't be answered in the factory manuals but with other enthusiasts experience! Plus maybe it helps someone else with similar issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Just occurred to me, the picture shown above is from a Carrera 2, I think the Carrera 4 and Turbo with the pushrod going up to the higher mounted master cylinder (which has an integrated spring on the pushrod) wouldn't use that spring #29. If anyone needs that spring for their C2 I have one new in a bag that I am happy to donate.

Quick Reply: Pedal spring ID