Sponsored by:

Looking for a 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onevoice
I would suggest keeping an open mind about cabs. I wasn't looking for anything but a coupe until I went for a test drive of a cab on a whim. Fell in love with it, and bought it. 964 and 993 cabs are stiffer than the earlier cars, I don't notice any flex in normal driving. My track days are behind me, and I have other cars to drive when the weather is bad, so a cab is perfect. It's like having a four wheeled motorcycle.

I agree. With the coupes commanding outrageous prices, cabs are a bargain at almost half the price. I love the fact I can unzip the back window and hear the engine roar.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:29 AM
dandyw
Advanced

Some sage advice for sure. I've been through the Porsche buying experience a few times as well. It seems like it takes awhile to find the right one for sure. However, I've also jumped on one too early, only to find there are more deals out there you "could have" waited for with some patience.

I already walked away from one this week. The tricky thing with 964's is that I find them so tight, you can get fooled with a solid road test. This car ran and drove great, but I tallied up about $5-6k in needs just walking around and identifying obvious stuff...

I will continue the hunt.. Patiently
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cool whip
I agree. With the coupes commanding outrageous prices, cabs are a bargain at almost half the price. I love the fact I can unzip the back window and hear the engine roar.
problem is .... the cabs are uglier than sin, when the top is up.
the coupes, on the other hand ...... well, jeez, it just doesn't get any better ....

Old 12-04-2016, 01:52 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
the coupes, on the other hand ...... well, jeez, it just doesn't get any better ....

Uglier than sin? Ouch! Why so determined to bash the look of cabs. Isn't this a forum for people who are passionate about their 964's.

Last edited by Mixter; 12-04-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:43 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Your right.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM
onevoice
Instructor

And why would you drive a cab with the top up? Mine never is.

Actually, I have a 993 style top, that I think looks much sleeker than the earlier ones. But I don't drive my car for how it looks to other people when it goes by.

Not everyone likes open air driving, I get that. I only had one other convertible, about 30 years ago, and it just wasn't practical as a daily driver. Nowadays, I drive the cabrio whenever it isn't raining, top down, 40F to 100F. Try it, you might like it.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 AM
onevoice
Instructor

Double post
Old 12-04-2016, 01:04 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Sent you a PM.

Dan P.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:19 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Uglier than sin? Ouch! Why so determined to bash the look of cabs. Isn't this a forum for people who are passionate about their 964's.
determined? not really.
simply replying to the observation that cabs are so much less expensive.
one of the reasons: ugliness, comparatively speaking.
the other reasons are certainly less subjective. i.e. wind noise. water ingress. lack of structural integrity, less safe, cooked guts, etc ......
Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 PM
dandyw
Advanced

I'm committed to a coupe, period... I drove a targa, and once you have a convertible in the Pacific Northwest, you either live with the "wet tent" feeling, or you just don't like it. I'm in the latter group myself. I have motorcycles for when I need fresh air in my face, and I'm at the point where I'm clear what I'm after. It's just this patience business I have to contend with. I'm not so good with this part, but I'll be tested...
Old 12-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having patients sucks. Want a good reason to wait? Go read my build Thread. Best of luck with your search
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM
dandyw
Advanced

Jjm,
I read your whole thread. Thanks for sharing it... I'm probably a little more patient than you, but you went all in with what you did.
I'll have to dig up some of my '69 race car build I did about 10 years ago. I went to that place...
So let me ask you this. If you could do it all over again, what would you have done?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dandyw
Jjm,
I read your whole thread. Thanks for sharing it... I'm probably a little more patient than you, but you went all in with what you did.
I'll have to dig up some of my '69 race car build I did about 10 years ago. I went to that place...
So let me ask you this. If you could do it all over again, what would you have done?
I have gone off the deep end. If/when I sell, someone will have a very well sorted car on their hands for a fraction of what it cost to build.
who am I kidding though . I'd do it again. Probably would have ponied up the cash for a 3.8 with ITBs.. I'd reconsider a color change, and deleting the sunroof and drip rails too.

In my own defense I was the "victim" of a bad ppi. Be patient and the right car will come.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Jay911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php has two in black at the moment. These are premium cars, low mileage, straight and little or no issues. The price will reflect.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:53 PM
onevoice
Instructor

...... reasons: ugliness, ....cooked guts, etc ......
And we sometimes wonder why the general public thinks Porsche owners are stuck up ****** ,

We can't even have a discussion among ourselves without ragging on a car EXACTLY like the one we own, except without a top.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 964