Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:01 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The opposite: a fixed back wouldn't collapse, leaving the occupant still seated.

Again, I really don't know if that 'designed to collapse' thing is true or not. I could be completely wrong. I don't know.

However, the biggest thing to take away from your thread is that doing one thing ideally involves the other. I.e. you either go full track or full street.

Harnesses seem to be the driving factor. You could do a rollbar and leave everything else. But once you do harnesses you need seats with properly position holes. If you do harnesses you really should do six-point (four point is prohibited in many organizations). Harnesses also involve correctly positioning the seat in regards to shoulder belt positions.

All this said, once you do that it is meant to work as a system with occupants wearing full gear.
Ah. Okay. So a harness is what would make me have to go full track. I could run fixed buckets with regular seats and that would be fine?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes of course. The pole positions or other recaros are quite good at beeing all-right for street use.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by n1ne11
Yes of course. The pole positions or other recaros are quite good at beeing all-right for street use.
And so I could kinda sorta do things in stages. Try the fixed buckets, but retain rear seats in case I miss the Sport Seats. If I like the buckets and get serious about track stuff, go full RS carpet and remove rear sears, and do a rollcage with a harness to be used with said buckets?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:06 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
I found this in a thread I was following:

Why is there "lots of drilling" when installing Pole Positions? Is there no bolt-in setup for this? Seems so crazy to me.
Well; you shouldn't have to drill holes, I hadn't to. Then I had Sparco seats mounted before so I can't promise anything but my friend's 911 3.2 does have the same mounts on car's side and he had stock seats.

From what I remember is that not all drilled holes can be used. You will see that only 1 or 2 hole combinations on the sliders will match to the car's holes.

Then, yes, if you are not OK with those hole/setups, you will have to drill yourself. But I wouln't see why.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:08 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

And so I could kinda sorta do things in stages. Try the fixed buckets, but retain rear seats in case I miss the Sport Seats. If I like the buckets and get serious about track stuff, go full RS carpet and remove rear sears, and do a rollcage with a harness to be used with said buckets?
Exactly! But I would pretend that you will have to do a lot of track days before it would really be worth all the effort (not talking about the money and the devaluation ofc).
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Well; you shouldn't have to drill holes, I hadn't to. Then I had Sparco seats mounted before so I can't promise anything but my friend's 911 3.2 does have the same mounts on car's side and he had stock seats.

From what I remember is that not all drilled holes can be used. You will see that only 1 or 2 hole combinations on the sliders will match to the car's holes.

Then, yes, if you are not OK with those hole/setups, you will have to drill yourself. But I wouln't see why.
Interesting. I'll have to do more research.

Exactly! But I would pretend that you will have to do a lot of track days before it would really be worth all the effort (not talking about the money and the devaluation ofc).
You're probably right
Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I had an EP3 Si, as well as an FG2 Si. Always wanted an S2000 or NSX (NA1/2—didn't matter!). You?
i still have my s2000. i love hearing people coming from the Honda community.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:25 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did the Pole Position upgrade. I put upwards of 15-20 drill holes to fit them properly on my 964. But I did go over the top by some standards in that I doubled up on a few mounting points with M8 bolts. Make sure you have the RS seat belt extension. You will also need a 3mm spacer to make the mounting surface on the siders flush. I ended up using a $5 3mm aluminum bar from Orchard Supply. Did the trick and distributed the weight bearing surface more evenly than a set of 3mm washers. These seats and seat mounts/sliders are more universal than car specific, so expect to do some drilling. But well worth the effort. Mine look and feel great. I "feel" the car and the road much more.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by apanossi
I just did the Pole Position upgrade. I put upwards of 15-20 drill holes to fit them properly on my 964. But I did go over the top by some standards in that I doubled up on a few mounting points with M8 bolts. Make sure you have the RS seat belt extension. You will also need a 3mm spacer to make the mounting surface on the siders flush. I ended up using a $5 3mm aluminum bar from Orchard Supply. Did the trick and distributed the weight bearing surface more evenly than a set of 3mm washers. These seats and seat mounts/sliders are more universal than car specific, so expect to do some drilling. But well worth the effort. Mine look and feel great. I "feel" the car and the road much more.
Interesting.

I was looking somewhere, and apparently dp Motorsport has a set of sliders (and rails) that don't require any modification of the transmission tunnel on the 964?

Also, since we're on the topic: is it the case that FIA fixed back seats are not DOT approved for street use, and, therefore, we cannot legally drive around with Pole Position's and the like?

And if that's the case, is it one of those things where, despite it being illegal, it's probably more safe than conventional/OEM seats anyways (since these are not meant to collapse in the same way as OEM?) Or is it a head protection thing? Like, without a helmet, a rear collision might lead to excessive forces on the back of the head against the [non-padded—isn't it padded though?] headrest of the fixed back bucket?

Lots of questions...
Old 12-15-2016, 12:09 AM
apanossi
Banned

Not sure about legality, but I also took out my airbags. Mine is a daily driver. I don't think you need to bother with anything more than the stock recaro sliders. Drilling holes in the sliders and mounts is really not a big deal, just tedious. Took me a Saturday afternoon to install 2 seats. Just depends on how OCD you are and if you have worked on these cars before.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:45 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Originally Posted by apanossi
Hey Apanossi,

Nice to hear that you went the same way!

I understand why you would put more bolts, then again I didn't because I thought it would fragilize the sliders themselves. In addition, it was litterally the first thing I ever made on a 911 (except mounting a steering wheels, but this can't count, right?). These sliders are clearly not made only for 911s, but for a lot of cars. Without drilling if I remember clearly, there is only one way to fix them with 1 bolt in each corner, you will need spacers, right, but on mine they were already on.

Now, could you explain what you mean with "Make sure you have the RS seat belt extension." ? Do you have a picture of this part?

Pictures of your setup would be great too and help all reading this in the future.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Nice car btw! Mine was GP White too before it got it's complete aubergine metallic color.

Last edited by n1ne11; 12-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 AM
apanossi
Banned

The RS belt adapter is part number 964-521-065-00. Having some trouble uploading photos from my phone. Spyerx has some more photos that might be more explanatory on page 30 of his build thread. I wouldn't worry about drilling the addition holes. The mount and sliders are strong. Are the extra mounting points necessary? Probably not.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

I see, you mean this part:

The thing is, on the recaro mounts, you already have these buckle attachs integrated; I guess there is no difference right?

I really hesitate using this:

http://www.fvd.net/de/de/Porsche-0/-...n_Germany.html

Or only the belt buckle of this (but don't know if it's working/compatible):

http://www.fvd.net/de/de/Porsche-0/-...e_Schwarz.html
Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Angry

I see, you mean this part:

The thing is, on the recaro mounts, you already have these buckle attachs integrated; I guess there is no difference right?

I really hesitate using this:

http://www.fvd.net/de/de/Porsche-0/-...n_Germany.html

Or only the belt buckle of this (but don't know if it's working/compatible):

http://www.fvd.net/de/de/Porsche-0/-...e_Schwarz.html
What I find most frustrating about fitting buckets is the utter lack of a universal, completely bolt-in, slam dunk, this-is-an-easy-and-completely-safe, way of mounting them.

We have bolt-in everything else. Heck, we even have bolt-in roll bars. Why is it not the case for bolt-in seats? There are 10+ threads on Rennlist from posters who literally are not sure where to start when it comes to mounting Pole Positions in their 964s!

</endrant>
Old 12-18-2016, 12:29 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

There are 10+ threads on Rennlist from posters who literally are not sure where to start when it comes to mounting Pole Positions in their 964s!
Aren't the 964RS seats identical to the Pole Positions with respect to the seat/base and therefore the mounting set up should be identical.

Quick Reply: New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s