Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:35 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
Congrats on the new purchase.

Sounds like you have good plans to enjoy your new purchase.

A small piece of advice is start slow and don't go crazy modding the car. Just get it running top shape and enjoy it for a little while. Having said that, here is my opinion on what you are asking:

Steering wheel - do as you wish, if you can afford the air bag to go allong with a new wheel more power to ya.

Fixed buckets - whichever you chose, most are reasonably comfortable but getting into the back is a PITA regardless of size.

Roll bar - really has no place in a street car (this is just my opinion, I don't mean to offend) If you want something removable then it's more aesthetic than functional which defeats the purpose of what a roll bar is intended for. Unless, you run full harnesses then it's even a bigger safety issue IMO.

Roll cage - same as above but that is usually more serious and welded in not bolted although I've seen bolt in ones but if you are getting into all of that you might as well weld it.
1. Yeah, I plan to drive it stock for at least a few months (this is my first sports car, so it will be nice to just get a feel for spirited [safe] driving without going all crazy)

2. So you're suggesting that I try to find a steering wheel with an airbag? If so, those are hard to come by (someone mentioned some products from Cavallo?) :/ I spoke with Jeff at Rothsport, and said he finagled a 996 GT3 steering wheel for his 964 (though it wasn't particularly easy).

3. What you say about the fixed buckets makes sense

4./5. Are roll bar's/cages necessities for HPDE? Or track use? Apologies for the newbness, but I honestly don't know (checked the PCA/POC websites, and it seems some places require bars/cages, and some don't). I at least need *something* for which to affix a racing harness if/when fixed-back buckets are in place? Am I too all over the place or am I making sense?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If your shift linkage is sloppy - then it is probably the plastic bushings at the base of the shift lever (which is the rear of the anchor rod) and at the front of the anchor rod. You will have to get under the car and drop the center panel to have access to both of these points - You can pop off with a screw drive - order before you do the job so you can replace all in one step so to say.
18T_BT has some good advice- " start slow and don't go crazy modding the car. Just get it running top shape and enjoy it for a little while>" - Then figure out which way you want to go - drive it enjoy it and and figure out what your steps need to be. First is going to be to resolve all the mechanical issues that are current problems and keep you from enjoying the ride. Good LUCK.
OH! - do not know of any roll bar system that is an easy bolt in. Why do you want the roll bar. It is not a necessary item for street or DE.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:52 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus
OH! - do not know of any roll bar system that is an easy bolt in. Why do you want the roll bar. It is not a necessary item for street or DE.
All good advice!

Oh, I thought it was necessary. How/what do I affix the harness to in lieu of a bar/cage? Those baby seat straps in the back like one poster mentioned above?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a harness bar that fits in the back that utilizes the the stock seat belt loop mount on the "B" pillar and the rear seat seat belt points for extra support. I have one for my "cab" that I no longer use but I don't know it it will fit a coupe.
I can send you a picture and the width measurement if interested.
They come up on eBay every now and then.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Toni!

It's nice to see that others struggle with the same thoughts!

I bought a nice condition 964c4 in october 16 and I wanted a sporty car, that I can take to Trackday's but that will be fitted to go see my parents in Normandy for example (800km trip).

What I made until now, is changing the old sparco seats for new all black leather Recaro PPs.

It is doable alone but 2 pair of hands would not be a bad idea. The seats fit well into the car and even if I have something like a dark red leather/canvas inside (with "porsche" written all over it), the seats fit well. Of course RS door handles and an all black interior would be great, but then you are complety out of the initial idea that was just creating a sporty version.

NOTE1: When installing seats, there are a lot of hicups, and other things that can go wrong, like little parts that will miss, etc. So just take your time and make the install a proper one. The major issue I encountered is how to make a proper functional belt receptacle system. Stock ones won't fit between the center canal and the seat because the seat has something like a "lip" and the stock belt lock "arm" is wrapped into hard, not moldable, plastic.

Most people are using the rear belt locks on front, whitout the plastic, and passing the belt between the seat interior and the right leg/hip of the driver. But I am too big/filling the seat too much for this alternative to work out for me.

NOTE2: The seats are comfy. But only if you fit in easily. That's why you will have to test them before you buy. I am quite tall, 187 cm and 95kgs, so they restrict me a little.

NOTE3: If you go 4 point belts or 6 point, just remember that the holes where the belts pass from the rear roll bar over your shoulders are very small and LOW on the PPs. So it may be fine, you will fit nicely into the seats but you will not have a optimal belt placement, which can lead to injuries in case of too much pressure applied on the shoulders top (instead of applying pressure to the chest).

The best solution then would be taking Recaro SPG XLs that fit larger/taller persons.

Hope it helped!! Good luck with the mods!

Last edited by n1ne11; 08-05-2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by n1ne11
Hi Toni!

I bought a nice condition 964c4 in october 16 and I wanted a sporty car, that I can take to Trackday's but that will be fitted to go see my parents in Normandy for example (800km trip).

What I made until now, is changing the old sparco seats for new all black leather Recaro PPs.

It is doable alone but 2 pair of hands would not be a bad idea. The seats fit well into the car and even if I have something like a dark red leather/canvas inside (with "porsche" written all over it), the seats fit well. Of course RS door handles and an all black interior would be great, but then you are complety out of the initial idea that was just creating a sporty version.

So I'm here now, seats changed. I also changed the steering wheel for a super nice Renown Competition 100 with red stitching and suede, that I mounted yesterday.

Here are some pics if you are interested in, otherwise I can delete them, of course it's with flash on and smartphone quality, better pics will be posted on the Pictures thread as soon as I can shoot her outside:

NOTE1: When installing seats, there are a lot of hicups, and other things that can go wrong, like little parts that will miss, etc. So just take your time and make the install a proper one. The major issue I encountered is how to make a proper functional belt lock system. Stock ones won't fit between the center canal and the seat because the seat has something like a "lip" and the stock belt lock "arm" is wrapped into hard, not moldable, plastic.

Most people are using the rear belt locks on front, whitout the plastic, and passing the belt between the seat interior and the right leg/hip of the driver.

NOTE2: The seats are very confy, like really confy. But only if you fit in easily. That's why you will have to test them before you buy. I am quite tall, 187 cm and 95kgs, so they restrict me a little.

NOTE3: If you go 4 point belts or 6 point, just remember that the holes where the belts pass from the rear roll bar over your shoulders are very small and LOW on the PPs. So it may be fine, you will fit nicely into the seats but you will not have a optimal belt placement, which can lead to injuries in case of too much pressure applied on the shoulders top (instead of applying pressure to the chest center).

The best solition then would be taking Recaro SPG XLs that fit larger/taller persons.

Everything looks great! Love those seats. To be honest, however: I haven't sat in them (). I just have always liked the way they look. I am about 5'10", so I'd need to find a local shop and sit in them to see whether the harness loops would be "too short" for me. I weigh 155 lbs, and I'm not really sure if that's too much/too little to fit comfortably in the seat? (You're about 6'2" and 209 lbs, if my conversions are correct, right?)

So is there a definitive rail system and seatbelt guide for use with the Pole Position?
Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Dhult85
8th Gear

Hi Toni!

So I'm here now, seats changed. I also changed the steering wheel for a super nice Renown Competition 100 with red stitching and suede, that I mounted yesterday.

Here are some pics if you are interested in, otherwise I can delete them, of course it's with flash on and smartphone quality, better pics will be posted on the Pictures thread as soon as I can shoot her outside:

NOTE1: When installing seats, there are a lot of hicups, and other things that can go wrong, like little parts that will miss, etc. So just take your time and make the install a proper one. The major issue I encountered is how to make a proper functional belt lock system. Stock ones won't fit between the center canal and the seat because the seat has something like a "lip" and the stock belt lock "arm" is wrapped into hard, not moldable, plastic.

Most people are using the rear belt locks on front, whitout the plastic, and passing the belt between the seat interior and the right leg/hip of the driver.

NOTE2: The seats are very confy, like really confy. But only if you fit in easily. That's why you will have to test them before you buy. I am quite tall, 187 cm and 95kgs, so they restrict me a little.

NOTE3: If you go 4 point belts or 6 point, just remember that the holes where the belts pass from the rear roll bar over your shoulders are very small and LOW on the PPs. So it may be fine, you will fit nicely into the seats but you will not have a optimal belt placement, which can lead to injuries in case of too much pressure applied on the shoulders top (instead of applying pressure to the chest center).

The best solition then would be taking Recaro SPG XLs that fit larger/taller persons.

Looks good, which side consol and sliders do you use? Do you have part number?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:24 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
Sounds like it's an all or nothing type thing when it comes to doing the "race" interior.
Yep. Compromising doesn't really work.

These cars are handmade, and the cage or rollbar gets hand-fitted. The 'bolt-in' part in no way means it is easily removable. Because of the handmade tolerances, it is a PITA to install and you won't want to do it again.

The only thing easily removable would be a harness bar, specifically because of the minimum amount of connections it has. Harness bars are pretty pointless, IMO. If you're running harnesses you need fixed back seats, which ideally use a rollbar/cage. (Normal reclining seats, so I've read on the ever-correct internet, are designed to collapse slightly in a rollover situation).
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Thanks, Well I bought:

- 2 seats Baquet Recaro pole positionblack leather ABE 070.77.0422

- 2 Console Steel Recaro / PolePosition ABE / Pro Racer SPG Hans XL

- Recaro sliders - driver's side

- Recaro sliders - other side

And some diverse lugs und nuts, can't say what exactly.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Yep. Compromising doesn't really work.

These cars are handmade, and the cage or rollbar gets hand-fitted. The 'bolt-in' part in no way means it is easily removable. Because of the handmade tolerances, it is a PITA to install and you won't want to do it again.

The only thing easily removable would be a harness bar, specifically because of the minimum amount of connections it has. Harness bars are pretty pointless, IMO. If you're running harnesses you need fixed back seats, which ideally use a rollbar/cage. (Normal reclining seats, so I've read on the ever-correct internet, are designed to collapse slightly in a rollover situation).
So, just to be clear: fixed-backed buckets wouldn't be safe without a roll bar/cage, because in the event of a rollover, they ... would collapse more than normal reclining seats?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 PM
n1ne11
Instructor

ToniWonKanobi:

There is no definitive guide, but the seats are really not that difficult to put in. It just needs a bit of time if you do it by yourself.

Now for the seatbelts there are definitively no guide and I can't really tell you what's best as I haven't figured it out myself. Trust me I would like to be in that situation, it bothers me alot.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:32 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

ToniWonKanobi:

There is no definitive guide, but the seats are really not that difficult to put in. It just needs a bit of time if you do it by yourself.

Now for the seatbelts there are definitively no guide and I can't really tell you what's best as I haven't figured it out myself. Trust me I would like to be in that situation, it bothers me alot.
Same :/ -->
Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi Toni,

i read on your first post you came from Honda's (i am slowly doing the transition as well).
What kind of Honda/Hondas did you own previously?

-jared
Old 12-11-2016, 03:57 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

So, just to be clear: fixed-backed buckets wouldn't be safe without a roll bar/cage, because in the event of a rollover, they ... would collapse more than normal reclining seats?
The opposite: a fixed back wouldn't collapse, leaving the occupant still seated upright.

Again, I really don't know if that 'designed to collapse' thing is true or not. I could be completely wrong. I don't know.

However, the biggest thing to take away from your thread is that doing one thing ideally involves the other. I.e. you either go full track or full street.

Harnesses seem to be the driving factor. You could do a rollbar and leave everything else. But once you do harnesses you need seats with properly position holes. If you do harnesses you really should do six-point (four point is prohibited in many organizations). Harnesses also involve correctly positioning the seat in regards to shoulder belt positions.

All this said, once you do that it is meant to work as a system with occupants wearing full gear.

Are roll bar's/cages necessities for HPDE? Or track use? Apologies for the newbness, but I honestly don't know (checked the PCA/POC websites, and it seems some places require bars/cages, and some don't). I at least need *something* for which to affix a racing harness if/when fixed-back buckets are in place? Am I too all over the place or am I making sense?
No HPDE organization I know of requires a rollbar or cage (with the exception of many organizations requiring a rollbar on a convertible). That said, many organizations prohibit four point harnesses as well as running harnesses on the 'typical' Porsche seat (no holes for shoulder or submarine belts).

If you have not done a DE event you should consider doing your first events with a correctly functioning stock interior (jury is out on airbag deactivation, ask your instructor).

So is there a definitive rail system and seatbelt guide for use with the Pole Position?
The 964 RS, Turbo S Leichtbau, and Speedster all came with similar seats so there is a factory setup that integrates this. I would suggest asking the 993 forum, they may know.

There is a thread devoted entirely to the factory seat: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...1-gt2-etc.html

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:58 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

I found this in a thread I was following:

Originally Posted by Spyerx
For the seats. These are the latest "rev2" Pole Position (they are fiberglass FIA certified), that come with the steel side mounts. I purchased aluminum separately, and used recaro sliders. Installing seats is a huge pain in the ***. Lots of drilling.

The sliders are PLA-0.70.9NT
The risers/side mounts are the standard for their wider seats. i think they only make a couple different side mounts. For skinny seats and wide seats.
Why is there "lots of drilling" when installing Pole Positions? Is there no bolt-in setup for this? Seems so crazy to me.

Originally Posted by 911 jared
Hi Toni,

i read on your first post you came from Honda's (i am slowly doing the transition as well).
What kind of Honda/Hondas did you own previously?

-jared
I had an EP3 Si, as well as an FG2 Si. Always wanted an S2000 or NSX (NA1/2—didn't matter!). You?

Quick Reply: New 964 Owner—Fixed Bucket Seats, Steering Wheels, Airbags, Rollbar/rollcage ?'s