Sponsored by:

Beginning of the end - Turbokraft Built motor and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:50 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beginning of the end - Turbokraft Built motor and more

After 9 years of ownership with The Beast I am finally in the final stretch, mechanicals done...but not without a ton of work left for over the winter.

First step was sending my car to Arizona to get my car sorted mechanically and to make sure that anything that needed replacing was done. This included a full build and complete suspension upgrade.

My dad and I loaded up my car on a rented Uhaul trailer to bring it to the Michigan where I had Reliable carrier take my car in an enclosed trailer to Arizona. (this was less than half the cost from Canada)

One thing I can recommend in my experience is to do your research.... so many doggy shops out there that promise the world and can not deliver (throwing good money at a bad situation...ask me how I know, costly lesson). In Canada its a huge struggle to find any sort of shop to heavily modify 964's.

I knew what I wanted from the get go in terms of motor build. Some of us like stock, some go for a hopped up 3.8, some supercharge and some turbocharge. I went the turbocharging route and chose Chris Carrol from Turbokraft to build me my dream motor. I remember almost 10 years ago seeing videos of Chris's crazzzy builds never thinking I would be able to have this caliber of builder work on my car to create my vision.

We can all attest that nothing ever goes the way we plan, timing, unforeseeable problems as you dive into the build...these are 25 year old cars we have....they get brittle over time and just need a good overhaul.

On to the good stuff..... I was trying to go for a clean not in your face build....lets say sleeper if you will (I know the bright Viper green is not so subtle). I had Chris build me an EFI, coil on plug, Single Turbo, Twin Scroll, air to water intercooled 560rwhp Monster..... Lets just say this thing moves. The level of detail is jaw dropping....I can't stress enough, you need the right shop... from the perfect tig welds, to the anodized hardware, new wiring harness....everything was hand built by the Turbokraft Team. I wanted to retain heat as we live in the wonderful North and it can get a little cool in the spring and summer. To make my engine bay look as clean as possible, routing the piping was a challenge. So they copied the RWB El Jefe design and added external electric blowers to push the air through the system. When Chris and I first spoke, we were on the same page as to what I wanted....I never expected all these cool extras that went along with his builds (everytime we spoke...he like Jeff I am doing this.. I was a kid in a candy store).... Chris, Mike and Team truly create works of art in the Porsche world.

All new shiny hardware....so clean

You can see the water to air intercooler in the back right corner, its powder coated black.

Once I get the car on the lift I will have some of the really cool shots of the Tig welding John did.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:22 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I had Chris install KWV3, rennline camber plates, ERP 935 spring plates, elephant racing bushings, H&R front and rear sway bars, Tarret drop links, rennline 3 way strut brace and a whole host of other things.

I have only seen a few cabs with a duck tail installed and I just love it. I also had them build GT3 style exhaust tips with dump pipes on either side.

Testing new paint as the car will get a full respray.... I have chosen Grigio telesto without the pearl.

Rotiform fuchs will be painted gloss black lips with satin centres.

With the level of adjustment, I am very happy with the stance.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:27 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

A little better view of the symmetry.... have to say its spot on.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

And yesterday evening starts the interior and cabriolet removal to get prepped for paint which will be done in the next month or so.

Made some great progress last night, passenger seat removal, upper dash, door cards and partial rear seat removal. This is going to be a lot of work...but loving every minute of it.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:17 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I am looking for help removing the rear seats. I have done searches but coming up short.

There is a bolt to the outside panel on each seat which has a large slotted bolt. I tried using a large style screw driver with no luck. I am afraid I will strip the bolts....

Any advise is appreciated?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the pics when I get home. Will shoot you a pm.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:30 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I think I may have found the solution...hardware store after work to pick up a "Drag link Socket" just a fancy word for a large flat head socket to attach to an impact gun.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Nice work.

Why two dump pipes for a single turbo setup? What are you doing for ventilation? Are you considering a roll bar with that much HP?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM
-Danno-
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Love the ducktail and the exhaust tips. What size tires and rims do you have? Do you get any rubbing?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nice work.

Why two dump pipes for a single turbo setup? What are you doing for ventilation? Are you considering a roll bar with that much HP?
I will be running a roll bar.....just not sure which way to go as Cab's don't look as clean as the coupes do with it. So i am going to try and design one myself and have a professional shop build it for me to the proper compliance.

As far as ventilation...i am assuming you are talking about heat? They ran two electric blowers, one under each wheel well. I need to get some pics of this...i peaked my head under it this morning to take a look.

I believe the twin dump pipes were done mostly for symmetry. Chris was saying that when you were looking at it from behind....it did not look right to him....so they rebuilt it with two dump pipes. I am not technical enough to know if the twin scroll has anything to do with it?

Ps, i have admired your builds over the years.....you are a hands on man.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:31 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by -Danno-
Looks great. Love the ducktail and the exhaust tips. What size tires and rims do you have? Do you get any rubbing?
Danno, we will have to hook up next spring.....lots of 964's in our area.

Thanks for the compliments.....

I am running 225/40/18 on the front and 265/35/18 on the rear. I have to go back to my notes for wheel offset and widths.

No rub on the rear at all. Very slight rub at full lock on the front.

The wheels will be for sale next summer when I get into the final stages of the build...requiring wider wheels ...sticking with the 3pc rotiform fuchs though.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 PM
-Danno-
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
Danno, we will have to hook up next spring.....lots of 964's in our area.

Thanks for the compliments.....

I am running 225/40/18 on the front and 265/35/18 on the rear. I have to go back to my notes for wheel offset and widths.

No rub on the rear at all. Very slight rub at full lock on the front.

The wheels will be for sale next summer when I get into the final stages of the build...requiring wider wheels ...sticking with the 3pc rotiform fuchs though.

That would be great. I would like to see your build.

I have Cup 1's which I like but have been considering something wider in a Fuch style. We may need to talk about your wheels next year.....
Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I believe the twin dump pipes were done mostly for symmetry. Chris was saying that when you were looking at it from behind....it did not look right to him....so they rebuilt it with two dump pipes. I am not technical enough to know if the twin scroll has anything to do with it?
If it is a true twin scroll header setup, then yes you will have 2 waste gates and therefore 2 waste gate dump tubes. One for each bank of cylinders.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:54 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tjb616
If it is a true twin scroll header setup, then yes you will have 2 waste gates and therefore 2 waste gate dump tubes. One for each bank of cylinders.
It is a true twin scroll setup with dual waste gates. Makes perfect sense to me now.

I will try to get the car on my lift this weekend to take some pics (it looks so pretty under there). The garage looks like a bomb hit it with the interior spread everywhere. Tonight is cabriolet top removal.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I will be running a roll bar.....just not sure which way to go as Cab's don't look as clean as the coupes do with it. So i am going to try and design one myself and have a professional shop build it for me to the proper compliance.

As far as ventilation...i am assuming you are talking about heat? They ran two electric blowers, one under each wheel well. I need to get some pics of this...i peaked my head under it this morning to take a look.

Ps, i have admired your builds over the years.....you are a hands on man.
Very very cool. It was a lot of work but the twin scroll is a great idea. Missed that on the initial read along with the heaters. The project is quite impressive and well thought out. I think your thread is going to cost me. Put a lot of thoughts in my head.

Originally Posted by tjb616
Makes sense now that you pointed out it was a twin scroll not something we see much of around here.

Quick Reply: Beginning of the end - Turbokraft Built motor and more