Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if airbag system is functional?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if airbag system is functional?

Can the Bosch hammer determine if the airbag system in the 964 is operational or not?
I had my car in for a courtesy inspection a while ago, and there was a note from the tech that there was an airbag fault code that could not be reset by the Hammer tool and they concluded that the airbag system is nonfunctional.
My airbag light does not light upon start-up, so guessing the bulb is out (pulled?). I have the "!" light that goes on with startup and turns off only if I hit the warning light switch.
If the hammer is the gold standard and it does not work, I've got a nice old Momo steering wheel that I'd love to install...

Thanks for any insight!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:10 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

I think the first step would be to check if the bulb is inserted and if not, put one in. The lightbulb is part of the resistance of the system, so the airbag system is going to throw an unclearable fault if the bulb isn't there.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:35 PM
-Danno-
Intermediate

I had the same issue when I purchased my Targa. First thing I did was put all the bulbs back in. I read that the most common issues are either the impact sensors or a dirty connection between the impact sensors and the system. I disconnected the battery and allowed the car to sit for about 2 hours to make sure there wasn't a charge left in the system that would set off the airbags, then unplugged the sensors and cleaned the connections with contact cleaner. Plugged them back in, connected the battery, and cleared the codes. Problem solved.

Dan
Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Took out the clock today - no bulb in the airbag spot - replaced it and it's lit up - kind of flickered a bit a times. Now my seatbelt light is also on all the time.
Thinking about trying the soldering first due to the flickering that read may be a signs of bad connections at the clock. Then I'll have a look at the crash sensors etc - any way of checking these without removing bumpers?

The other gremlins on my list are:
1. sunroof - looks like the driver track is off - can't figure out how to safely remove the sunroof vinyl cover on inside.
2. A/C - And my A/C servos are wacky - even when I manually adjust servos in closed (cold) position - they still will blow hot air sometimes - guessing the flap is getting pushed open... Not so bad with cold weather coming.
3. Brakes - when the car is cold, just when coming to a stop there is a grind almost a slip feel from the brakes - once warm, they work great. All brake pads and rotors are less than 2 years old with no track time. Also, found out at a D/E that my front wheels lock up - so ABS is on fritz - but have big blacks up front and 993's in rear which helps a lot!
Other than that, it's great!!!

Anyone in Toronto have a Bosch Hammer? There is one for sale locally, but they're asking 2 grand for it!!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:28 PM
-Danno-
Intermediate

The impact sensors are actually in the frunk beside the fuel tank. Very easy to access. the are fastened by some Porsche proprietary fastener, so they aren't easy to remove but no problem to clean the plug contacts.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son read this and said "brick wall at about 40mph" or is that too obvious? I told him to go try it in his Subaru and maybe he could get a paid commercial appearance out of it.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Thanks Danno! Will have a look.

Quick Reply: How to tell if airbag system is functional?