964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 964 dashboard to buy - what to check / leather covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016 | 02:44 AM
azander
Racer

Looks good! I was worried you got an early model dash like the red one.

I did notice some leather material missing at the far edge where the cap goes. Maybe you can patch in a little leather if you have some left over. Also, ensure the vent overlaps the dash, and it remains overlapped as you screw down the 5 screws evenly. If it doesn't overlap properly you'll get a bulge, notably on the passenger side. There's a fix for that if you have this issue. ...

Good luck and post some pics with it installed! Cheers!
Old 11-19-2016 | 03:57 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by azander
Looks good! I was worried you got an early model dash like the red one.
I was just lucky. In my mind the one with more studs was the newer. Luckily I never found it

I did notice some leather material missing at the far edge where the cap goes. Maybe you can patch in a little leather if you have some left over.
You are completely right! I was noticing it while taking the pictures. I wanted to wait to have the car back before doing any "work" but it seems clear me now that I can start working on those. I do not have any leftover but I think I can recover some leather from the back of the dash. I will take a sharp cutter and do my best.

Also, ensure the vent overlaps the dash, and it remains overlapped as you screw down the 5 screws evenly. If it doesn't overlap properly you'll get a bulge, notably on the passenger side. There's a fix for that if you have this issue. ...
On paper is clear, thanks! Now I need to see when I mount it if I make a mess or not...

Good luck and post some pics with it installed! Cheers!
I will! For sure.
Hopefully I will be able to work on this the weekend of the first week of December.
Old 11-25-2016 | 05:35 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Really easy and straight forward

Close to final result (well... somehow close)

Done!
Old 11-28-2016 | 05:47 AM
memo555
Advanced

Looks superb! well done.
Old 11-28-2016 | 06:21 AM
Ale_72
Pro

I am really happy (even if the leather grain is slightly different from the vinyl on the upper part of the doors - stupid me that I did not think at that one) most of all since I did all the replacement by myself (well, not the dash).

Quick Reply: Used 964 dashboard to buy - what to check / leather covering