Cabriolet Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by garrett376
Jaime - that's exactly what I found on my cabrio - and I guarantee that's why my driver's side frame snapped way back in 10/2003 on my car!!! Those bolts on that secure each transmission should be a REQUIRED maintenance check for all cabrio owners every year, since that will easily misalign things and potentially bust the systems.
I was so afraid that it was something like that (a broken frame)... and was relief to see that it was a snapped cable and what seems to be a repairable transmission... that is, until I found out the price on the cable... those things are expensive as heck...
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wachuko, I had my cables fabricated by a local speedometer shop. They seem to work fine. I read in one post that one of the cables is wound in the opposite direction. This probably serves some function but I don't know what. The motors reverse direction along with the drive cables and there would seem to be significant load in either direction. One thing for sure, they are a LOT less expensive. Regards, Roy
Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Roy Eames
Wachuko, I had my cables fabricated by a local speedometer shop. They seem to work fine. I read in one post that one of the cables is wound in the opposite direction. This probably serves some function but I don't know what. The motors reverse direction along with the drive cables and there would seem to be significant load in either direction. One thing for sure, they are a LOT less expensive. Regards, Roy
Thanks!!

Looking closely at the cable it seems the cable is fine and it just got pulled from the cover... I will know for sure tomorrow when I remove the cover (currently attached to the motor).

I will work in repairing the transmission bolt eyelet firs. I hope the JB Weld does the trick.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost of a cable is 171 bucks? I replaced mine from a agriculture parts and cable manufacturer in Bakersfield, CA for about $20 each last year. Those guys have all the right size of cables (they fabricate the correct lengths and square the ends) for farm impliments.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Cost of a cable is 171 bucks? I replaced mine from a agriculture parts and cable manufacturer in Bakersfield, CA for about $20 each last year. Those guys have all the right size of cables (they fabricate the correct lengths and square the ends) for farm impliments.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Old 10-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Jerry, thanks for the tip of finding inexpensive replacement cables.

Luck was on my side this time around... only problem was the loose bolts. I was able to shape the eye with epoxy and used a washer and some JB Weld to finish it off.

Top is back and operational after so many months. Now I can finally start with the evaporator replacement and the switch to R134a. Parts ordered today from Griffiths and should be here in a week or two.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Problems