Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good friend plans to make a mistake.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:00 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A good friend plans to make a mistake.......

Hi,

A good friend of mine plans to make a big mistake,
buying a Infiniti G35 Coupe. Not that the car is the mistake, not at all, it's a beauty, but he wants to TRADE IN THE PORSCHE 964...................

I think he will feel bad wen he should make the deal. I know he has other cars to trade in, so I would suggest to trade in those, but.......

Please EVERYONE, tell the FRIEND your opinion as a Porsche owner!!!

Thanks for your support!!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
I understand your point but one should not interfere in the decisions of others. Nor pressure them in this way. If your friend feels the need to do what he is going to do then so be it. You can advise but that is where it ends because if you influence the wrong decision then your friendship will also be ended. We all learn by attending The University of hard knocks. I am sure your friend has his reasons and they should be respected.
On the lighter side of things tell your friend to purchase my book so it will remind him of what he gave up
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-29-2003, 05:14 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

How long has he owned the 964, Arjan?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:46 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

John, he owns the car over 11 years.

Adrian, Yes, you are right, It's his decision, that's thru, but I just want to warn him, that's all.
He is happy with the 964, and deep in his heart he knows that if he sells the car he will have second toughts after de deal is done.

It's only a advise from my side to him. What he decides is his own decision. I don't interfere in that, but may be this topic will help him make his choice much easier.

Thanks for resons on this guys
Old 10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Christer
Race Car

I think most of us have owned many cars over the years. Personally, some of them have been considerably faster than the 964. No other car has come close to the feeling that I get from owning a 964, the amount of pleasure I get from driving it.

Having said that, he can always get another 964 when he gets bored of this G35 thing.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only advantage to trading it in is that, if it needs a lot of work, a dealer is less likely to care (as compared to a private party purchase, where it will likely be subjected to a PPI) - they'll just auction it off. If it doesn't need a lot of work, he should sell it privately - he'll get a lot more for it (the dealer will only pay wholesale - 20-25% less than private party retail), in addition to knowing that it's going to a "good home".
Old 10-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Great words Christer, just what I think.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

what the hell is a G35? actually cant believe that after 11 years of ownership, there is no sentimental value being attached to the 964 (unless its been giving him a ton of problems)...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:36 PM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

An opportunity for someone else to enjoy owning a Porsche, hopefully a newbie who will share the pleasure of the pedigree.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:04 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I talked to my friend yesterday, He mentioned not to trade in the Porsche but sell it privately and then buy the Infiniti G35 Coupe.
The reason is the same J McDonals mentioned, to much loss of money.

A infiniti G35 coupe is almost the same as a Nissan Z, or may be look on WWW.INFINITI.COM and see for your self.

I taste that he is happy with other people's opinion. So I print these replies from the forum and show him, so he can see other people's opinions. That would make his decision easier he said. So.....please give yours Renllisters!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Like many have said, its his decision and he should do what HE wants to do. I do diagree with Adrian about ending the frienship. A friend will most always be a friend, whatever car he or she drives.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I think Adrian ment to say that involving in decisions is dangerous for a freindship, not the car brand.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:01 PM
JoeW
Pro

This is interesting because it's exactly the opposite of the direction I"m going. Last year, when I started my search, I nearly ordered a G35 SC, a wonderful car especially for the money.

But while it, and several other cars I almost "bought," were fine cars they really didn't do anything to move any part of me but my body. The G35 with a 6-speed can go 0-60 in under 6 secs. and has a g force near .9 ... very comfortable seats for 4, beautiful body, and -- while it's a much better driving experience than, say, a Honda -- it's still pretty sterile.

I'm tired of being bored and have no need to "be seen." So I rethought my options and have ended up here. I don't even own a Porsche yet and I'm having fun anticipating driving anyway. Tell your friend I don't think he's making a mistake as the Infiniti is a very fine car, but I do think he'll be spending a lot more time yawning. J
Old 10-31-2003, 03:15 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

The thing I am afraid [may be too big word] for is that the modell not will be as timeless as a 911.

I know that not everybdoy needs/wants a timeless design, but I think that he will be bored of the car in 2 years.

Let wait what he does..........
Old 10-31-2003, 10:03 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Has your friend driven the G35. Not a bad car, but it has no soul. I can't explain it, but it seem German cars have something that American and Japanese cars lack. It's like something is missing.

Recommend to your friend that he see if the dealer will let him have the G35 for a day. See what happens. I doubt trying to talk him into keeping his 964 will jeopardize your friendship. My best friend (goes back to High School) thinks I am nuts because of my choice of automobile. It hasn't affected our friendship in the least.

Quick Reply: A good friend plans to make a mistake.......