Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Brake Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's in and plumbed up! Hopefully I can find time next week to bleed it. Thanks Tim at Porterfield for patiently helping me fab the custom brake lines. The bulkhead fittings are a pain and require too people. Wish there was a easy way to do it alone.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:30 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

I just closed up the garage and what a evening......I bled the brakes yesterday and put the wheels and belly pans back on today after work. I'm all excited to take it for a drive and head out on the maiden voyage. The car runs great but feels a big sluggish. The pedal is a good stiffness etc. I go around the block a few times and eveything feels ok. I take it on the main road and as i let off the gas the car immediatly comes to a complete stop. The brakes are locked up.....I manage to drive it a half mile home with the flashers on in 1st great. At home I get out to open up the garage door and I cant get the car to move, the front wheels are smoking like something is on fire.

I jack the car up in front of the garage and unbolted the booster from the mounting bracket as well as the master cylinder support bracket. This allowed the brakes to free up. What a relief. I managed to swap out the 964 booster support bracket and replace it with the one that came with the 993. The pivot arms are completely different geometry and the 993 bracket is slightly longer. It appears I bound the linkage or pushrod mounting the 993 booster on the 964 bracket. I managed to get the 993 bracket on and everything lines up. The 993 master cylinder support bracket doesnt quite fit. Ill tackle that this weekend.

So lesson learned, mixing up the 993 parts and 964 parts is not a good idea. Use the whole setup from one or the other.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Glad you have it all fixed. Thanks for circling back with the solution.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Having a hard time visualizing the issue you ran into. Now, I didn't do my install, but Joey said this was pretty straight forward and only issue was the vacuum canister fitting with the RS sways.

Anyway, I had 4 parts: the 993 master, 993 booster, 993 bracket for the master to the subframe, and the BMW brake lines we reformed. That's it.

Maybe it's a year thing????
Old 11-18-2016, 01:12 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

I've read a lot of contradictory information on here about all this. One post talks about adjusting the pedal over an inch, another talks about having to grind out the inside of the booster support bracket, while another says it all bolts up just fine and works as is. From looking at everything, both cars use a 964 P/N for the rod that goes from the bell crank to the pedal. The bell crank for the 964 has a shorter lever arm than the 993 part. The aluminum booster support bracket for the 993 is about .5-1cm longer than the 964 part and the inside seems to be slightly larger in diameter where the booster bolts up. Now that I used all the parts that came from the 993, I had to readjust the pedal rod back to the original length to get the pedal positioned properly.

Quick Reply: Mystery Brake Fluid Leak