Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a 91 964 C4 in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:46 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 91 964 C4 in San Diego

I have a lead on a 1991 C4 Coupe, manual trans, black on black, 118k miles in San Diego.

There is some significant rubbing on the door to the body on both the driver and passenger sides, which means it was in an accident right? I'm figuring since the car was driven in the upper Northeast there might be salt corrosion from the windshield cowl rust bubbles. I'm looking for a better example 964 than this one but I'd like to open the discussion about this car to gain knowledge about these cosmetic issues that I noticed.

The owner is asking $36k but now that I pointed these issues out, she's looking to take a lot less to move it.

Here is what she wrote about the car:
Miles - 118,667
Accidents - none that I know of; a CarFax from a year ago says no accidents. VIN WP0AB2969MS411280
Paint - looks original to me, see what you think from the photos. There are some tiny, shallow scratches all over and one place (over the passenger door) where it looks faded. I tried to photograph all the worst parts for you.
Owners/locations - from what I can tell, the car was in North Carolina until ’94, then Pennsylvania until ’95 when it was sold to someone in New York. In 2010 it was sold and moved to Connecticut, then sold again in 2011, still in Connecticut. When my friend bought it he had it picked up in New York and trucked to Los Angeles.
Service history - I have a whole folder of detailed records for ’01-’10 in New York (two clutch replacements, the rest looks minor), my receipts for the fuel pump and the relay, and the successful CA smog test.
Aftermarket parts - none that are obvious to me; I hope the photos help.
Oil leaks - there’s a very slow drip, the photo of my garage floor shows almost three weeks’ worth, I’d say maybe half a teaspoon total.
Issues - the air conditioner worked when I bought the car, but last month I noticed that the air didn’t seem cooled; also the fan works but it occasionally squeaks like a cricket; the brakes have a bit of a squeak; I was able to track down the anti-theft code for the (original) stereo but when I connected it I didn’t notice the antenna wire so I don’t know whether the radio works (the CD player doesn’t). I haven’t pulled it back out because I don’t have the right tool and I don’t want to damage anything.

The engine, transmission and suspension all seem fine. The power seats, power sunroof, power locks and power spoiler all work great and the interior is pretty much perfect. It is really fun to drive, and it has that classic air-cooled Porsche sound. My husband isn’t a car guy and he wants his garage space back, so sadly I can’t keep it.

Name:  IMG_1298.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  217.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1317.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1322.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1466.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  235.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1447.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1462.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1457.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1458.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  131.1 KB
Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you asking for someone in San Diego to RenFax this car for you or....??? I thought Holt's comments were fairly honest and to the point when he responded to your question about this car in the 964s for sale thread as he is someone who probably sees a multitude of 964s on any given day.
Originally Posted by Holtmotorsports
The photos you've posted above are scary. That is not just rust on the cowl, that is horrible bodywork with what appears to be some welding slag. being the door rubs against the tub front AND rear is sign of a significant hit. How the fender, door, and 1/4 have been reattached will tell the whole story (floor pans also). Its probably too bent for even a track car conversion. Engine and trans are worth something though.
I live in the San Diego Area and could possibly look at it for you or put you in touch with a shop if you end up wanting to move forward with it.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

/\ Sorry, I overlooked the post by Hold Motorsports. Its a bummer with the doors rubbing on both sides but a good indicator of a significant hit. I'm surprised the title wasn't salvaged but maybe it was done under the table without an insurance company getting involved. I feel bad for the owner, she bought the car off of a friend who needed cash... which now she's stuck with a money pit.

If anybody is interested in the car, I can send you her info.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 91 964 C4 in San Diego