Sponsored by:

Accumulator bleed nipple sheared off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 PM
DrewG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accumulator bleed nipple sheared off

I was doing a full flush on my c4 and my bleed nipple sheared off. Has anybody had this happen. I don't know what to do or where to start.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Nasty one best left to professionals to fix. I would imagine that they'd want to very carefully drill down the centre of the remaining stub, being careful not to damage the seat below then heat it up, then use a harden steel stud extractor to get it out or keep drilling until just the thread remains. The risk of course is that you do indeed damage the seat and I'd guess that there is only a very small amount that can be machined from the face to restore it. If the thread gets damaged, you could probably install a Time Sert or use an oversized nipple.

Best of luck though.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I would just replace the accumulator. Likelihood is it's dead anyway if it's old enough to have the bleed nipple rusted in there. And the shop cost for the repair of just the nipple is likely higher than just replacing the unit.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:51 PM
DrewG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I would just replace the accumulator. Likelihood is it's dead anyway if it's old enough to have the bleed nipple rusted in there. And the shop cost for the repair of just the nipple is likely higher than just replacing the unit.
That is what I have opted to do. I tried a screw extractor as well as trying to use vice grips on the exposed bit of the nipple to no avail. I even tried welding a bolt on to the nipple and that just ended up taking a chunk of the nipple off. At that point I hopped online and saw a thread on pelican parts where someone had the exact same issue. They said that they weren't able to drill out the nipple even after removing the accumulator. The part is now ordered and on its way. Crummy as I was done with 9 out of the 13 bleeds and I will need to start over, but such is life.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Word to the wise. Always bleed the accumulator slowly. Never just "open the bleeder" and let the fluid blow out fast, as it can damage the internal bladder...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Any body this ?
Elliot
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Accumulator bleed nipple sheared off