Sponsored by:

How to remove targa bar 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to remove targa bar 964 C2

As the title says, in order to prepare the car for a full repaint and seals change, I am trying to remove a targa bar outer skin, I have seen different links to other forums (I don't know if it is ok to post links from other forums here, if not let me know and I'll remove them)
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...targa-bar.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...targa-bar.html

and in the first link states very clearly that you have to remove 4 nuts holding the bar to the car from the wheel wells, I have look in my car, in the left side, there is a cover that don't let me see the 2 bolts for that side, so just a matter of removing that cover, but on the right side the oil tank and all its tubes are in the middle, I have just taken a look with the car on the ground and the wheels still attached to the car. Do I have to remove the oil tank in order to get to those 2 bolts for that side if anybody knows?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, oil tank must be at least loosened in not completely removed.. It is a real pain in the *** usually. Frankly if you are having the car painted, now is probably the time to remove the tank, replace the hoses that are usually old and brittle and clean out all the road debris that collects in that area.
Taking the rear wheels off will make this job much easier on both sides.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the answer, what do you advise? Buy all the hoses or take the old ones to have them made?

How many should I replace in this diagram?
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

You should be able to order all of these new. The ones that people talk about having made are the hard lines that run up front to the oil cooler. I'm just talking about the soft lines. There is really no reason to use braided lines or any kind of upgraded stuff in this area.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Specifically look at 21 22 30 26
Inspect all of them carefully and error on the side of caution. There is one that makes a 90-degree turn and Fits to a hard line right by the heat exchanger on that side. That one is usually very suspect and I recommend replacing it although I cannot identify it on my phone by number
Old 08-11-2016, 10:38 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

So all of the soft lines pictured here are probably perished. The most difficult part is maneuvering the tank around to get the new lines fitted.

Also, on the left side of this photo you can see that rust colored hard line--just a few more inches back it turns to a soft line--that is the one that I had fail on me and nearly run the sump dry! 96420724702
Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

I am doing the oil tank/line project restoration now and I have an excel file with a list of parts, part numbers, PET page numbers, and links to all the best DIY's and sources with best prices for each part that I could find.

PM me an email address if you would like a copy.

Quick Reply: How to remove targa bar 964 C2