Sponsored by:

Help needed identifying connectors in 964 c2 targa

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help needed identifying connectors in 964 c2 targa

Hi everybody, writting first message, member from Spain. To make a long story short I bought a 964 stored in an auto body garage with doors, and lids removed FOR 16 YEARS. As you can imagine the interior was full of dirt and now I am in the process of removing everything to deeply clean the interior.

While removing the center console I have run across a couple of connectors which are not connected to anything and was wondering if anybody can help identifying them...

First one is kind of flat with 6 spades on it:

Looks as the connector has the following part number: 944.612.552.00 which I have look for in google and apparently has something to do with the rear wiper, but my car does not have a rear wiper installed ???, although it does have a button in the dasboard for cleaning as well as the stalk in the steering colum with the same drawing for cleaning

Any idea?
Attached Images  

Last edited by me61ic; 08-03-2016 at 08:53 PM. Reason: More data
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Default Second connector

The second connector that needs identifying has three spades and is more square shaped... And is in the same area as the other, a couple of inches from each other
Attached Images  

Last edited by me61ic; 08-03-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Default Box under dashboard

Also while I am at it, can anyone tell me what this box is for? It is right under the dashboard where the steering is, and you can open it, but it is empty.

Thanks in advance everybody
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2016, 12:43 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok
The first 6 pin plug has nothing to do with the rear wiper. That is just the part # for the plastic plug. It is probably used in several locations in this car and other models. I believe that particular plug goes to a selector switch in the center console for manual rear spoiler control.

The second plug/picture most like goes to a lateral accelerometer sensor, located further forward on the console more under the dash. Look for 2 of these mounted on the tunnel under the dash just ahead of where the plug is sticking out.

Lastly, that box with holes in driver's footwell is just an air distribution box for the HVAC. It is just designed that way so all the air doesn't blast out in one direction on your feet.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Many thanks it has clarify things.

My car was converted by Gemballa in Germany right after it left the factory to WTL and has a turbo wing installed right now. I am not too keen on that turbo rear wing and I bought the original moving wing. The rotary switch was connected and complete but lying around the also Gemballa modified center console, but these two connectors were just not connected to anything and also lying around there.

Do you think that any of these connectors are needed for the wing to operate normally? It looks as if the long connector is for lights of the switches? So I am guessing not needed in order for the wing to operate normally. What surprises me is that looking at pictures of 964 center consoles in google, the long connector seem to be used in Carrera 4 cars, while Carrera 2 cars seem to use a shorter different connector, I have even looked in the front wheels in my car to confirm is a Carrera 2!

http://boxsey.blogspot.com.es/2012/1...ts-jul-10.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...wAAOSwyQtVwRCS

For the second connector taking that both front seats are out of the car as well as the center console I have layed in the car, head under the dashboard, looking for that accelerometer and haven't found anything, I have looked every inch close to the connector and have found a thing, well yes I found another small transparent connector with two spades on it not connected to anything...

What is that accelerometer used for? Does the rear wing need it in order to operate normally? I mean the car has been in use for some 25 years by now and if that accelerometer is not used for the wing, does the car need it for something else???

Thanks again,

Ignacio
Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The accelerometers control ABS function in both C2&C4. They also control differential locking in C4 cars.
Look here:

You can clearly see this car has TWO units as it is a C4
The second unit is the part with the # 2700676 on it--I believe that may be where your plug goes. In the picture it looks like a relay plugs into it, but the relay in fact is hovering above it, plugged in sideways.

The 6 pin plug I believe may only serve the lights above the central locking/hazard switches--probably not essential.

If the manual spoiler switch is not installed, I think it is unlikely the spoiler will deploy automatically either. I would think that entire circuit would need to be complete, but I could be incorrect. The brain for spoiler control is located under the passenger's seat.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:08 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler control also under pass dash, behind carpeting where top of a persons toes would be on some years. It's a black rectangular box. Can can hear the relay click when it finishes its cycle.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:58 AM
me61ic
Instructor

Well it's pretty clear from your pictures where the plug should connect to, and after looking for it in my car it looks as there is not such a part or evidence of it ever being there, so I'm starting to think it has to be an accelerometer for the AIRBAG of the car, as mine does not have airbag
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:00 AM
me61ic
Instructor

Another pic
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 AM
me61ic
Instructor

I have connected all the switches I have for the "modified" centre console in my car and I have a total of 5 connectors not hooked to anything, 2 of them have been correctly identified by justin-in-athens, 3 more have appeared while looking for the part you mentioned. The one I now believe has something to do with airbag. I believe these 3 are for lights / warnings in the original center console:
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:14 AM
me61ic
Instructor

And this last one also appeared while looking for the accelerometer:
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:19 AM
me61ic
Instructor

I think I am just going to put it together as it is and hope everything works as intended, at least I have the original rotary switch for the original wing:
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 AM
me61ic
Instructor

And the module for the wing under the passenger seat, so I am guessing that after removing the short between 2 pins in the engine plug (which I have already checked and is there) and hooking the original wing everything will work as expected. I think now that in Stuttgart they did not have different electrical systems depending on the model (C2 or C4) and/or different options for the cars, they just plugged or leave connectors lying around depending on the model/options, in the picture there is another big connector covered in black electrical tape below the wing module, which I don't have a clue what it is for also
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help needed identifying connectors in 964 c2 targa