Sponsored by:

How bad did I screw up....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 PM
germanspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad did I screw up....

So I went through a pretty hefty refurb of my oil system this winter and replaced almost every single line and cleaned buckets of road grime from the engine.

Here is the bad part....when I went to start the car, I proceeded with a normal oil change procedure and didn't pull the coil to spread oil prior to starting it and letting it warm up. Did I do heavy damage for the few seconds the crankcase was dry?

Any advice is welcome...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:14 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I doubt you did any damage. Its not like the motor was apart and all the internals were fresh.. there is always some amount of residual oil present. When you fire it up the pump pressure etc.. does its thing. You're fine.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect you may have heard a bit of lifter noise for a second or two on start up. Should be fine as long as the engine sound and oil pressure quickly returned to normal.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:56 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...and cam chain tensioners, especially the passenger side. Those sound like all hell breaking loose. If the sound went away you're fine... (and really.. what are you going to do now about it anyway but worry? )
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 AM
germanspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i feel much better now...I did hear the rattles but they went away really quick.

Thanks again Rennlist!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Yeah as has been said. Likelihood is very small.

That's said. Keep your ears on it a bit and listen for noises. And next oil changes use a clean pan. Watch the magnet, and poor the oil through a strainer when done and look for plastic debris from the chain ramps (just in case). If they had been weak already, there is always the chance that the chain rattle started the process of breaking them..again, not likely, but may as well keep an eye for the near term now that you are thinking about it. I just replaced mine last year and they were ok, but very worn and slightly damaged.

Quick Reply: How bad did I screw up....