Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

Meanwhile...I'm still happy to toss one in my car and give an honest assessment relative to oem and the Steve Wong chip...lol...

Most of you guys would likely feel comfortable with my impressions...at least those of you that know me...so let's have it....
Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Meanwhile...I'm still happy to toss one in my car and give an honest assessment relative to oem and the Steve Wong chip...lol...

Most of you guys would likely feel comfortable with my impressions...at least those of you that know me...so let's have it....
I thought it was a great offer. Part of my perception was based on the response to it. Even if their "blind squirrel finds the acorn" approach somehow results in a "winner" from a technical perspective there are aftermarket providers that have customer service attributes that make dinans product irrelevant...from my perspective.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

So, then buy one!

As was mentioned before, there's no significant expertise required to add 14 ft-lbs of torque
when "tuning" other than knowing that for every one degree of timing advance about 3-4 ft-lbs
is gained. So with about 3 degrees more advance at various RPMs, one can easily develop 12 - 14 ft-lbs
of noticeable torque at those RPMs.

Like "perfomance tuning" can only be done by some who claim their knowledge is unique, please!
It appears some in this thread have been listening to much of the hyperbole from the
"tuners" who they bought their chips from. Seems some are in a defensive mode to rationalize
their previous chip purchases.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

Oh dear, this is déjà vu. Must each thread on chips go this way?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:58 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by John McM
Apparently ...lol
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chips and LED lighting... Personally I am disappointed and embarrassed at the attitude of some people hiding behind their keyboards and the anonymity of the Interweb. In the real world, do you go into a shop and just because you don't like a product, lay into the vendor and act in such a belligerent manner?
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

I haven't purchased any chip, nor do I have any experience or opinion toward any one chip. My interest was piqued by this product and I was really pleased to see Goughary at DBFD offer to try the Dinan chip and provide an unbiased opinion vs a competitor as well as stock. If anyone can offer a fair seat of the pants analysis on a very well maintained 964 it is Goughary. I was simply put off by Dinan's response. The poster representing Dinan the company probably should have consulted others internally before declaring that he isn't going to go out of his way to make sure the product is well received in the 964 community...... Just poor business because I would love to buy a chip at this price if it is comparable to the SW chip.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:09 AM
porsche mania
Pro

And its the same person every time! Just watch him go when someone mentions motec....
Old 08-07-2016, 10:11 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
Chips and LED lighting... Personally I am disappointed and embarrassed at the attitude of some people hiding behind their keyboards and the anonymity of the Interweb. In the real world, do you go into a shop and just because you don't like a product, lay into the vendor and act in such a belligerent manner?
I knew there was something else as well as motec, led lights!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I know I'm going to get killed for this-
But I'm just going to say this- not taking sides.

Guys- don't lay into Loren. Yes bedside manner aside, there have been many a crappy argument...but he has always been a wealth of knowledge. And I appreciate that over the fighting. For right or for wrong.

As to dinan attitude. Text has no tone. So careful to not read too far into things.

It's a chip- no one needs to get pissed. I personally see claims like 20hp and laugh. But maybe there is some truth here or there and I'd just like to know the real story.

No- hell no - I won't "just buy one" to go and spend a crapload of time to test it. No interest. But if Dinan wanted some help. And if that help is good for the rest of you, I'd be happy to lend a hand. And then. Therefore, for the free 150 dollar chip, i would then spend a few thousand dollars worth of my own hours doing some comparisons...cuz it would be fun. That's all. Clean and simple. Don't want to vilify anything or anyone...

All that said. I'm pretty sure in a stock 964, without doing major modification to the motor and engine management, which is very high dollars, you can't get much out of these motors in the way of added hp or torque. My Wong chip made the car much better. Much more drivable. Not much faster. But guaranteed that there have been quite a few people that have bought Wong chips after talking to me. Cuz they always call and thank me later...lol.

So - keep the thread and rennlist as a whole, enjoyable please. Arguments suck. So opt out when they begin to flare....
Old 08-07-2016, 03:11 PM
PNine64
Pro

Lorens fine...just points out how there's little value in chipping. I still think the stock chip is fine for a stock car but a car with no cat, no primary and running 93 octane could benefit slightly from a chip. As I said, I made the leap not knowing I had an autoauthority chip in there. I got a huge benefit cuz I was lucky (that chip WAS bad). I have no idea how the stock chip would do.

With dinan and this thread it wasn't one thing but the totality of things (bad images, bad claims, lack of knowledge and a bad attitude). Never dealt with dinan before so I really don't know if this is representative. Either way, at 4K+ I'd rather not wonder with my bmw. There's options for an extra 100hp there too. ��
Old 08-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

From the Rennlist archives:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html
Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah the authority chip is a nightmare. I've been wanting to open all the ecu in the cars in my shop to just check...but there have been so many other sorting issues, we haven't gotten there yet...gettin there soon. All will get a 91 octane Wong chip, short of anything better coming to market...aka..if this chip were worth while...la la la...

Thanks for the link Loren...
Old 08-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't expecting that backlash. Probably taken a bit out of context (tone and inflection don't convey as was noted earlier) or was worded poorly by me but in the end it really doesn't matter. The intent of my last post was just to not that I do not push product. There are plenty of vendors that will go out of their way to push a product (not the same as selling their product) and that is not how I do business. I present data, answer questions to the best I can, and let the product do the talking.... usually, ultimately selling itself. I do not try to sway peoples opinions of what they want or what they don't want. I don't lead them to where I want them to go. I want the buyer to get their themselves so they are comfortable with their decision and not feel pushed. Been in business a long time and its seems its worked out okay thus far.

While the offer to do a comparison is a fair one it is not one that Dinan as a company endorses. We have never been in the game of sending free stuff out for reviews. No matter how impartial the reviewer intends to be, or maybe is, it always has the stigma on the outside of it looking like a paid review. We much prefer the organic review. Sure it may take longer, but whats another couple weeks / months going to hurt at this point with the product involved here?

As I noted earlier we have quite a few in transit and I am sure at least a handful are from people on this board that will chime in all on their own about the product. If they find it to be worthwhile (or not), then so be it, its a honest review and the community at large is better because of it.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinan
In regards to just being a BMW tuner... we actually made these chips back in the 90's in addition to a bunch of Japanese cars (supras as an example). Quite successfully actually. When push came to shove though Steve Dinan felt it best to sell off those businesses and focus on the BMW platform which is what we are known for. Those businesses that purchased them came and went years and years ago but the new ownership group decided to bring these pieces back into the fold back under the Dinan umbrella since we are expanding into that arena anyway. The product was already developed and available.
If I understand your post correctly, it seems that it's quite possible that some people on this board may have already purchased this chip years ago under a company name other than Dinan? Please share the name of these businesses so that we may have a better historical reference of how these chips perform.

Quick Reply: New Chip