Sponsored by:

car going in for valve adjustment and clutch..what to do while in there

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default car going in for valve adjustment and clutch..what to do while in there

As the title says, doing a little routine maintenance. Swapping the dual mass flywheel for a light weight one is a given.

Is the diff easily accessible while the trans is out? The car has an open diff now and I was considering putting in a 1.5 way clutch pack. I am familiar with OS Giken diffs, but what do people generally use in 964s?

How about the final drive? I'm told this doesn't require a transmission tear down, but I'm not sure.

Not sure if I'll make the leap on headers / exhaust when the valve adjustment happens. If I did, is the only heat source for a defroster from the heater boxes on the headers? Living in socal, I only need a little warmth for the defroster and the early morning drives to buttonwillow. So its not crucial.

Anything else I should consider while I'm in there?

Matt
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

don't look at my 'while in there' threads. they get expensive :-)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:47 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Do whatever B. Verburg has suggested on this forum. He's helped 100's on this fourm with the same questions. Many, many excellent posts!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

How old are your spark plug wires and the oil pressure sensor? Replacing those is much easier with the engine out. Also inspect your motor mounts.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
How old are your spark plug wires and the oil pressure sensor [and that sensor's manifold seal]? Replacing those is much easier with the engine out. Also inspect your motor mounts.
Rob, I knew you meant this, too... I'm just making sure our brother doesn't go wrong.

If there's little, tiny spots (and by 'little', I mean really, really dinky pin points) of oil on the outside of your engine hatch, the cam shaft end seals should be 'looked at'. (...then replaced.)

And the distributor's drive belt replaced? *cough-SteveWeiner-cough* Sure -- why not.
(Was the distributor's vent line installed?)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

man. that sounds a lot more like maintenance than fun. thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm embarrassed to be making entry level questions, but I haven't gotten my hands too dirty on this car yet. Does the engine need to be dropped to pull the trans? I assumed it could be pulled independently.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Set some budget aside for unexpected stuff as well!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Another few thoughts, if your engine is out. What is the condition of your engine firewall sound pad? Also, inspect the fuel lines on the top of the engine. When I had mine out, we discovered one fuel line has puffed up like a balloon. I replaced all of them just to be safe. Also, inspect all of the rubber lines.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 AM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wires, and pugs, flywheel speed sensor and maybe intake temperature head sensor.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely check for any pugs in the engine compartment Aside: I haven't changed my wires, but they seem pretty easy to do once everything is removed for a valve adjust? Which everyone here is doing every ~20k miles anyway, right?

Dizzy belt and head temp sensor are easy to replace without pulling the motor. Of course, dizzy belt should definitely be changed on a scheduled basis (60k miles?).

I would pay close attention to all of the clutch area stuff that isn't required to change, but may need it: the throw-out bearing fork, needle/plastic fork bearings, trans input shaft seal behind the guide tube, rms seal, slave cylinder and flex hose, probably other stuff that I'm forgetting.

It's a good time to fix some oil leaks if you have any from the usual locations: oil pressure/temp sender seals, timing chain cover seals, around any of the threaded oil pipe locations. Replace the oil breather hose if it hasn't been done, cheap and they get rock hard and leak at the ends.

The high pressure power steering line off the pump is often a leaker, that will be accessible too. Doesn't hurt to look at the p.steering pump belt, but they seem to last almost forever.

How rusty is your engine tin? Good time to have it all stripped and powdercoated to keep it from disintegrating. Engine lid struts are very easy with the motor out.

We can spend as much of your money as you want!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my clutch slave servo mechanism serviced. Tech said there was a TB on it. Whatever he did, it made a world of difference. Thought I needed to replace bushing in clutch pedal due to moaning and groaning when I pushed, but now she's smooth as silk.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Definitely check for any pugs in the engine compartment Aside: I haven't changed my wires, but they seem pretty easy to do once everything is removed for a valve adjust? Which everyone here is doing every ~20k miles anyway, right?

Dizzy belt and head temp sensor are easy to replace without pulling the motor. Of course, dizzy belt should definitely be changed on a scheduled basis (60k miles?).

I would pay close attention to all of the clutch area stuff that isn't required to change, but may need it: the throw-out bearing fork, needle/plastic fork bearings, trans input shaft seal behind the guide tube, rms seal, slave cylinder and flex hose, probably other stuff that I'm forgetting.

It's a good time to fix some oil leaks if you have any from the usual locations: oil pressure/temp sender seals, timing chain cover seals, around any of the threaded oil pipe locations. Replace the oil breather hose if it hasn't been done, cheap and they get rock hard and leak at the ends.

The high pressure power steering line off the pump is often a leaker, that will be accessible too. Doesn't hurt to look at the p.steering pump belt, but they seem to last almost forever.

How rusty is your engine tin? Good time to have it all stripped and powdercoated to keep it from disintegrating. Engine lid struts are very easy with the motor out.

We can spend as much of your money as you want!
^^This^^

There are some really good re-seal threads here and on Pelican.
My timing chain cover seals were shot - with the help of these threads and some tools borrowed from Rocket Rob (thank you, thank you, thank you) I was able to do a whole reseal including the pesky oil leak sources, front/rear main seals, and modify the AC bracket for future time savings.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

thanks guys! I can now see why some of these cars end up with neglected service. its a slippery slope once you crack open your wallet.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check all the regular oil leak areas. +1 on timing chain housing seals. A bit more work than other known oil leaks, but worth the effort while the engine is out. Check out Perelet's oil leak fix thread on Pelican. You can also rebuild your injectors and power steering pump. Very good bang for the buck on those items. I took the opportunity and deleted my belt driven PSP and installed an electric pump in the frunk.

Quick Reply: car going in for valve adjustment and clutch..what to do while in there