Sponsored by:

4x4 no MORE

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks again everyone.

So far only two light scraps up front. Both could have been avoided by slowing down a bit. Front grill is still horizontal, but I'm sure within the next year I'll be searching for a "fix that smile/frown" thread.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Oh yea, so much better! D90 FTW. Here's mine
That looks really good! Stance sure is key. Wait, what did I say...
Old 08-02-2016, 01:05 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Swaybars?

Have been out of town recently so haven't put many miles on my new suspension...
To get a better feel for the car, I purposely went on a totally random 100 mile drive after work yesterday. What a luxury that was.

With almost 10 years of seat time on stock suspension, there are lots of new subtle motions that I need to get used to to better understand the signals my baby is giving me as we glide through the turns. The overall motion dynamics are so greatly improved, with much better control especially under acceleration and braking (while experiencing no loss in comfort). The steering feels a little different, with the car much more eager to turn. The steering, at just off center, feels good with the car definitely committing to the turn right away.

It's the next step that is taking some getting used to...

As I continue through the turn, the car really feels like its leaning as it takes a set through the turn. Which is a strange sensation, since up to that point everything feels really buttoned down. At first I actually had less confidence in the car; I wasn't used to the car hurrying into the turn, very direct, only to then feel like its leaning and then taking a set as I power out of a turn. To get used the the feeling, I drove a couple curvy stretches at normal speeds to learn this new dynamic and build up some muscle memory. (I'm also on brand new rear tires - 200 miles.) As I got comfortable I started to use more power out of the turns and the car felt glued to the road, but only after it was set into the turn and transitioned it's weight to the outside wheels.

I'm on stock, '90 swaybars.

Is this why people upgrade swaybars (especially, shortly after they get new suspension!)?
Improve one thing and it has an effect on something else.... ie: the mod slippery slope?!

Old 08-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks for the update. FWIW, I'm still running stock sway bars on both of my cars with H&R Greens and Bilstein HDs. The balance feels fine so I'm keeping it as is.

Quick Reply: 4x4 no MORE