Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree in this..........
Old 10-20-2003, 06:04 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you two finished now?

Andy - I had some further thoughts about this problem as I was experiencing a similar issue until this weekend when my solution was forced upon me - my battery died. Once I replaced it, the problem disappeared completely.

The symptoms were; immediate starting, but fairly unstable idle for about 2 mins - then erratic idle and a huge flat-spot till warm - but no cutting out issues. The DME had been reset (and hammered) several times.

I'm not suggesting this is the issue but please check your battery condition. Also please check the ground straps - especially to the battery and on the transmission.

Also when Adrian suggested a DME reset - you answered that you replaced the DME relay - this is not the same thing. HE was suggesting a re-adaption of DME (Computer) parameters using a Bosch Hammer or other methods. Apologies if you knew this.

Good luck

Ade.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Ade,
I want to see when people post help that they provide decent help.
I want to back off from rennlist for a while. I would like my book and others to take over so I can move off into different Porsche areas and also devote some time to other things in general. I would like to think that I have left the forum in good hands with people providing useful, detailed and helpful information not just a few words like "it could be this that or the other".
Arjans defensive follow ups and inaccurate assumptions diverted the thread from what I was getting at.
I understand that many people do not share my goals and aims in the way I try and help 964 owners.
All I asked was for people who try and help others to develop their own method of explanations keeping in mind that we are trying to reduce the cost of 964 ownership.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-20-2003, 06:52 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

One last question Adrian.... please give me a hounest answer, do you take my technical know how seriuose or not?

I can live with critic, I am also a human being, so I make mistakes too.

Please response on this question and for the question from Ade, yes then we're done.

Nice day!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Hey - I was just adding a bit of humor to what seemed to be a bit of a standoff, but I know we are all great friends here

Adrian - we all appreciate what you do, it is a intelligent and analytical method to problem solving and it's very effective.

Arjan - Same thing - your contributions are helpful, interesting and informative, and also backed by some considerable experience.

I just think some people get a bit upset when a poster gives the impression that they have just taken ownership or control of a thread and no more comment is required from anyone else, and since this is a public forum, and everyones opinion is welcome, this approach can be a little irritating. After all - we all want to contribute and we are all here to enjoy 964 ownership and add our little bit of experience to the mix.

Ade.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Ade,
I understood your question 'are you two done'? No problem.
I think you told a good story above, you're right, we go sometimes to far....[incuding me]

But if people don't take my answers or soloutions
seriouse or call it inaccurate with a nice word, [if] then I don't see my input as usefull for others.

That means that is think about this moment to stop posting on Rennlist........
It depents what Adrian's answer is, he is the one everybody looks up to, so my chances are over when his anwswer is not ok for me.

Sorry, but I had a nice topic in mind for next coming weeks, posting pics about 'Self service 964'.

We'll see what happens today..................

That means that I think t
Old 10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

I'm trying to clearly understand what you mean here. Are you saying that if Adrian makes a Negative comment about you - then you will stop posting to this board?

Ade.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

If Adrian will not take my answers and suggestions
seriuos, then will this mean that other Renn listers will follow his opinion because of his 'good name' and that means automaticly that posting my answers and suggestions make no sense anymore. Wasted time for me then.
I will not have the fun anymore posting, that I have now.

And yes, if this should happen, then I stop posting this board and will leave the 964 forum...... sorry for those who do appriciate my input.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ade - C4 91

After all - we all want to contribute and we are all here to enjoy 964 ownership and add our little bit of experience to the mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Arjan,

I wouldn't take this whole thing so much to heart. Wether Adrian agrees with your diagnosis or not is not the issue. Without the diverse range of opinions and experiences that make up this invaluable forum we may as well go and do something else.
The fact that people dont agree here is exactly what makes things so interesting to many of us. If you take a look at the recent 'disagreement' between our fellow 964 forum buddies it was the most viewed thread we have had for ages. It all ended up with differences being settled and the next few days in Rennlist world even seemed boring after the gloves had been put away.
I would skip over the threads that I dont like as i'm sure thats the recipe most of us use to keep our sanity in this crazy piece of cyberspace.
I'm sure that we all appreciate input from all quarters, it is then up to us to decide which pieces of it we choose to use.

Old 10-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Thanks for those words, I apriciate that!

Adrian doesn't have to response in public, he could send me a PM or e-mail. I didn't saw any of those..... May be he is too busy right now.

I want to have this all cleared, and go on as in 'old days'
So, Adrian's opinion is really important to me, believe me.

Let's wait what comes...........

Nice day!
Old 10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Arjan,
You missed my point completely. I never disagreed with what you say in principle. I have many times praised your efforts. My point was please do not just say it could be this, that or the other. Give the poster the reasons for your thinking and how he might check the items you mention. A troubleshooting guide using your own expertise. I do not know everything and I do not want to spend hours doing this stuff myself. I was trying simply to get you to look at what you write, not what you know and how can you translate what you know better in what you write. This applies to many others as well. Go back and read some of your posts and try to look at the end user of this information. Does it make sense. Read the one you posted on the tachos and then compare to mine. The information was the same but it took me quite a while to work it out.
I do not understand why you took this so personally and launched what I considered an unfriendly and sarcastic assault on myself. I was criticising your approach on how you provide what you know. I was never saying you do not know anything. Your contribution to this forum could be far more valuable than it is (it is already valuable) if you provide a detailed explanation and more helpful writings. I know you are capable of it.
Inotherwards your posts do not lack expertise, they lack helpful content to see a problem properly solved or at least the situation started. I hope you understand what I mean.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps I should post this on a new thread...?

Anyways, went to start the car this morning & same old problem. Either I did not clean the ISV well enough or something else is at fault.

I'm sure my battery is OK as it was new last autumn & turns the car over very well. One thing though, it's only a 64a/hr battery. I know that it should preferably be a 72a/hr - could this be my problem? the RS has a much smaller battery than the C2 & I'm sure that they would not have this to deal with!

As I changed over the DME a few days ago, that would have been the re-set/re-map.

On each start up after the initial, stone cold start of the day it starts fine.

I'll have a good poke around the car tomorrow to check earths, & remove & clean the best I can the various parts on the intake system as from what you say, it seems like a fuel/air mixture problem.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks,

Andy
Old 10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Andy,
My next stop would be the connector on the airflow sensor. Remove the connector and make sure it has the black dot of the modification that was required to repair the interior of the plug and loom.
If the mod which was the removal of a tie wrap, repair of damaged wiring and re-assembly is not carried out I can let you have the details.
I am headed down this way because when you touch something it seems to work once then fail again. This suggests you have disturbed the fault.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adrian,

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but the Airflow sensor is a different part to the ISV - yes? OK, now which bit is the Airflow sensor? Is it inside the AirBox? Any chance of a picture or diagram showing the different parts of the in-take system?! I'm always interested to know what each bit does!

Andy

Last edited by Andy Roe; 10-20-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Andy,
The ISV is not part of the airflow sensor assembly but is part of the intake system. The airflow sensor assembly is the metal assembly mounted to the rear of the airfilter box. If you take the airfilter out you will see the intake and in this intake is the airflow sensor vane.
If you send me your email address privately I can see what I can with a couple of photos. Mind you it is all esay to see. The airflow sensor assembly is to the right of the ISV. In the rectangular box of metal. The air temp sensor is also in there. The connector is accessed at the side front of the sensor assembly. The bit you cannot see easily.
Put your hand inside the intake and see if there is any oil residue. This can make the vane sticky and not open at all.
Something else can also cause this rpoblem. The reasonance valve. I worked with another owner on a similar problem and between us we fixed the reasonance valve. This valve opens at 5000 rpm, anmd extends the length of the air intake to the engine. This is the kick you feel at 5000 rpm under max acceleration. The valve is opened or tested by the DME when you turn on the ignition. If it sticks open it will cause a no start.
We must still keep in mind the cylinder head temp sensor but seeing the problem only occurs based on your post once a day I am not seeing a problem with this sensor at the moment.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Cold & Hot start problems!