Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension opinions for track/street car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:41 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool. I am going to forward my mechanic (who really knows his s**t) this thread so we can weigh our options. I really want to discuss the different setups, especially yours.

The S-01s will be street only, so I should be ok, they were off another RSA, but hopefully not the originals! The RSA had around 30k so I would think not. I will double check though as I don't want 10 year old tires, even for the street.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Here are some pictures of the H&R Supercup kit I described above, comparing it to RS front strut.

The H&R shock body hardware is Bilstein and looks to be the same as that used in the 3.8 RSR by Porsche. Note that the H&R has aluminum rear shocks with monoball lower mount instead of rubber, these are a few pounds lighter than the RS. Also note huge diameter of the rod in front strut which increases ridgidity-the RS rod is about half the diameter. Unless you go to shocks with a separate oil reservoir, you will not find better quality pieces.

H&R Supercup would be a nice kit if the monoballs allowed more negative camber in a narrow body 964 without work and if they were a more sealed design that did not let water come into the trunk.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:19 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joey:

You have PM.

Regards to all.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it and replied.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:52 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Cupcar,

I am now leaning toward the H&R Super Cups after talking it over some with my mechanic. What type/size sways do you use?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I use the one's my car came with Euro RS 5 way adjustable 24 mm front and 3 way adjustable 18 mm rear.

There are issues with the Super Cup H&R, I could not get enough negative camber out of the monoball front mounts and had to redesign them. The rears would not fit in my suspension towers without re-machining the tops. Email me privately for more information.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cupcar,

I just sent you a PM.

-Jim
Old 01-13-2004, 01:15 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cupcar
....There are issues with the Super Cup H&R, I could not get enough negative camber out of the monoball front mounts and had to redesign them. The rears would not fit in my suspension towers without re-machining the tops. Email me privately for more information.
.... and if I remember correctly, you received virtually no support from H&R. Right?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

H&R didn't want to believe I had a problem. Volunteered that I may want to return kit to vendor if I was not happy.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:54 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cupcar
H&R didn't want to believe I had a problem. Volunteered that I may want to return kit to vendor if I was not happy.
Then one could assume that H&R still doesn't think that this is a problem....
Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Well now I am thoroughly confused (again, it isn't difficult to do!). Cupcar had many problems with his (thanks again for the info) h&Rs, with no product support, and apparently it is very expensive to re-create the original Carrera Cup suspension from P Motorsports, as all part are sold seperately (not a package).

It seems this thread was dedicated to not using a turn-key set up like the PSS 9s, but this thread in the 993 area loves them: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...9&pagenumber=1 . The reason I comment about the PSS 9s is that my mechanic apparently knows somebody(ies) at Alex Job who told him that is the way to go for a serious DE/not quite race suspension. I have been driving my mechanic nuts I think with this whole thing, but it is quite a bit of $. I know Tom W says on this thread he likes them on his 993....still have not read much feedback on 964s. My budget is $5k including labor, but of course would like to be under that. Also, it seems about half the guys on the 993 thread use the RS sways and the other half use trg sways. From what I understand the TRGs are less expensive, but still very good (but slightly noisy, which I can live with if I can live with my screaming/squealing pagid oranges).

With the Alex Job recommendation, I think I will go with that, but any new comments are always welcome! (before I pull the trigger). I enjoy everyone's comments, even if I get more confused!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 12:07 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about giving the guys at FVD-USA or SmartRacing a call? FVD sells the 964 PSS9 setup along with other coilover options while Smart Racing offers a number of "packages" to suit your needs. You can download their PDF catalog which details the components. I believe customization is available through both outfits, i.e. you can specify spring rates and combinations.

I hear you on the cash concern, though. If you're going to spend $4-5K on such an upgrade, let's hope you find something that's good for a couple of years ... something you can grow into. I was actually considering 1,100/1,250 spring with 150-lb tenders since one of the Club Racers I know swore they offered a better ride than 600/800-lb linears alone.

As for sway bars, I haven't played a lot with mine but I certainly plan to do so this season. I have 5 & 3-way adjustables like Cupcar and feel this extra bit of tunability is well worth the expense. It's all good!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Have you looked at the Racers Group kits? It looks to be very nice quality, some if it looks just like factory racing parts rendered on an NC machine. I have no personal experience with the hardware and know nobody who has used it. Perhaps someone will chime in. Go here for Racers Group stuff
Old 01-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,........We do have 964 PSS-9's.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:41 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am not sure where my mechanic will be ordering the 9s. I know he knows that I know (lol) what they will cost (approxametnly) and I told him I don't mind him making a little (little) extra on it as part of the service that they provide....that and I have convinced myself that I will get better service if I go that route. This is the best shop I have ever delt with, but feel a bit awkward bringing a full suspension to them. My brother who manages a bike shop told me when that happens, they are put at the back of line, and will try to make that up in labor elsewhere. Maybe not though.

With that being said, I don't know if they have been ordered and I will call them tomorrow to see if they have. If not I will see about them ordering from Steve, I can appreciate the free advice given here and the sponsorship....but if they have a relationship with another vendor I will respect that as I have been driving them crazy I think.

So Steve, I will see if whether or not they have been ordered. What to you think of them on 964s vs. other set-ups in that price range. Actually I sent this email to him yesterday on the ERP monoballs that you have:

" Per your comment on sway bars below I found: http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...s/swaybars.htm They are adjustable and cheap and have good reviews except some found them noisy due to bushings, but I think I would be ok with that if you are interested. Also, for the pss9s, I read HUGE varying opinions on them but it sounds like the way to go. One guy seems to like the sways above, 25, 22 and ERP monoballs (he actually went to this from ROW M030 shocks and sways). Found erps at: http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-sg.html one comment from one of them was I finally gave up and just listened to my mechanic, which I thought was pretty funny. I am sending this because I can’t recall if you mentioned the sways we were going with in our conversation earlier today and your comment below of Racing Dynamics not making the ones that you liked."

So I already put a bug in his ear on Rennsport, but I have not followed up with him. Martin S. from the link above has, " PSS9s, TRG sway bars, ERP Monoballs."

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Suspension opinions for track/street car