Whats it worth

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it worth

Hi Guys

As you may know I have recently bought a GT4, and now I am also looking for GT3 with that in mind I may consider selling my 964, the car is 26 years old now and I can no longer garage her, I also do not have the time or skills to do the maintenance she may need in the coming years

The reason I am asking you guys because it is a bit of an odd Bod

This is a German registered car imported to the UK in year 2000,
Cat - D, C4 1990 Grey Convertable, LHD, 80'000 miles and serviced by Porsche up to 46'000, I have put 15'000 on her and Changed the Oil every year, and fixed everything as it broke

All in reasonable to good condition, and drives perfect, apart from a slight whine from the diff when cruising at low revs, only notice in 5th gear when not accelerating, I have been told that this is the norm, The car was a Cat D write off in the year 2000 due to a rear end shunt, all been well repaired, apart from the rear bumper, which is slighly saggy, there are a few tiny rust spots breaking through here and there, the only other problem is noisy heater blowers coming from behind the dash, I have owned her for over 10 years now and mostly maintained my self and a local garage who owns Porsche cars himself.

What value would you put on it and where would you advertise.

What percentage de value would you think it would be, being Cat D

For our American friends , Cat D, is insurance term Damaged Repairable but Insurer chose not to repair.

usually because cost of repair will cost over 60% of Vehicle value, or the Insurer does not want to open a can of worms
Old 05-28-2016, 10:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Window Cleaner
where would you advertise.
Become a paid Rennlist member, and list here in the classifieds.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:02 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many porsches, but no membership? No money left after the cars??

Salvage title usually drops value in half on normal cars. Probably will do the same to a 964
Old 05-28-2016, 12:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
Salvage title usually drops value in half on normal cars. Probably will do the same to a 964
Very true in the USA, much different in Europe.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:09 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
Probably will drop more than half for a Porsche at least here in the states. I've seen quite a few of them with salvage titles being offered for a substantial amount lower than the current value of a clean title car
Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some might argue that the more desirable the car, and the higher the demand, the impact of a branded title on value is less. At that point it has more to do with the quality of the repair / restoration. Look at some of the 356 cars that are brought back to life after being a rotten swiss cheese tub. Though not branded, those cars ate arguable worse condition than a car that was "totaled" back when these cars didn't hold alot of value. It's all a big numbers game.

Last edited by Porschenut_Lee; 05-29-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

Hi Guys
It was a Banger to Porsche story, worked by butt off cleaning windows, now living the dream, the Cat D is the only 964 I could afford at that time.

Only just come back to Rennlist since the GT4, I will do the membership straightaway
Old 05-29-2016, 12:56 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure what the UK market is like, but an earlier year C4 cab with a marked title and signs of body rust would be bottom-of-the-barrell in the states. Sorry to say.

And are we now required to pay Internet Brands, Inc. to post a question?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth posting the question in http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=10
There is also a "great UK 964 for sale thread" on rennlist 964 section so worth duplicating the post there too.

I know of a Cat D 100k miler C2 that was sold for £36k (according to seller) a couple of weeks ago, by the sound of it the car & repair was good. However according to your info the repair on yours is not so good and its C4 so will be marked down accordingly, £20-25k would be my guess and a harder sale than C2 as they are pretty thin on the ground.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by -nick
And are we now required to pay Internet Brands, Inc. to post a question?
Great point. I think that maybe posting in For Sale would still require being a paid member but not to ask a question.

To the OP you could take a look at Hagerty's valuation tool but I don't know how accurate it is these days or how applicable in your market.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

I paid £10k 13 years ago, I probably would be happy with close to £20k

Its not the best example, but still a l decent car

Quick Reply: Whats it worth