Sponsored by:

Aero/Teardrop Mirror Install - Wiring & Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:04 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poli84
I never did the install of the aero mirrors but assuming (hopefully), the installer also used bullet style crimp connectors to fit the aero's, should the wires on my flag mirrors simply colour match with the wires coming from the vehicle?
I would assume so. Should be pretty straight forward. If the installer soldered or used butt connectors you might have to do some simple wiring.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 PM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there are some different colors. There is a thread on here that lays out the wiring for the aero mirrors.

I used the article linked below for my car, which is a '90 C2, and everything worked out. Although, I'm not sure if the wiring colors changed between early model cars vs. later models.

Check bottom right of 1st page:
http://www.964uk.com/Documents/TearDropExposedv2.pdf

Jon
Old 05-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jon91581
I think there are some different colors. There is a thread on here that lays out the wiring for the aero mirrors.

I used the article linked below for my car, which is a '90 C2, and everything worked out. Although, I'm not sure if the wiring colors changed between early model cars vs. later models.

Jon
That was an excellent read, thanks for that as I had not seen it before.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I MUST HAVE AERO MIRRORS!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
I MUST HAVE AERO MIRRORS!
There was an awesome deal on a few sets over on pelican. I think the seller has 1 set left...
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 AM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm looking to do the aero upgrade. I remember awhile back that the passenger side wires have different colors vs the driver's side. Did you experience this odd situation?

My 1990 C2 is grand prix white. I've seen aeros on grand prix white and they look fantastic.

HB
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jon91581

Jon
Dead link Jon. Yes, cable colors from door are indeed different to that of the mirror (they are on a '90 car anyway). Been meaning to sort mine out, but some complete bodge up by somebody previous has all the cables mixed up and 'soft' joined using old insulating tape.

I found an automotive 6 terminal connector of the type below and at some point will use that - so long as it fits through the hole in the door.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JV44HeinzBar
Hi,
I'm looking to do the aero upgrade. I remember awhile back that the passenger side wires have different colors vs the driver's side. Did you experience this odd situation?

My 1990 C2 is grand prix white. I've seen aeros on grand prix white and they look fantastic.

HB
I don't recall, but with the bullet style connectors it's easy to swap wires around to make sure you are getting full functionality.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 AM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

I just put my aero mirrors together and wanted to share how I compressed the spring. I got this tip from either here or pelican, so I cant take credit for it, but it worked for me.

Before you put the spring assembly together, determine the keyed location for insertion and the 1/8 turn lock position and mark them on the bottom, as demonstrated by the arrows. (location in the picture is not exact, i just added it for an example). It is like a key, it is inserted and compressed in one position, then turned approximately 1/8 clockwise into the lock position while under compression. The slot is pointed to the red arrow while inserted and compressing, then while under compression turn the mirror assembly clockwise until the slot is pointed to the blue arrow into the locked position. (This will all make sense and be clear when you have the unassembled parts in hand.) Anyone that wants to disassemble a mirror, turn it counterclockwise 1/8 while under compression.

Put the 14mm allen socket on a 6 inch extension and secure the extension in a bench vise horizontally.

Put the mirror assembly on the 14mm allen and use all your body leverage and press the mirror assembly against the secured allen socket then turn the entire assembly into the lock position once compressed.

This may sound crazy, but it worked. My first mirror took about three attempts, the second mirror went in on the first attempt in less than a minute.

Wear clean nitrile gloves for grip, and athletic shoes with good grip. Hold the mirror securely, close to the thickest part so that there is no danger in breaking it. You will use your legs and body weight to compress the spring. It worked and was easy.

Last edited by Derek911; 03-16-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 AM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Old 03-16-2017, 01:59 AM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

If you buy the aero mirror package from Pelican Parts, it comes unassembled, so the spring has to be compressed. Have the base and mirror painted before you compress them together. It didn't come with assembly instructions, so use the parts catalogue image as a guide.

#4 is first screwed into #2 with #6 and 5 screw. (4 screws total)
# 11, 3, 13,10,12,and 9 is assembled and attached to #2. (#3 and 11 is left/right specific.)
The 14mm allen socket is inserted into the bottom of #9 and compressed, and the top of #9 locks into #4.

If you have a secure vice, trust me, you will find this method extremely easy. When you have the parts in hand, my instructions will make much more sense and you will see what needs to be accomplished to compress and lock the spring mechanism.

Last edited by Derek911; 03-18-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

My wiring is done... Mirrors installed... Everything working fine.
My wire colors were different than the OP's.
My car is a 91 and the mirrors are new Porsche stock from Pelican. The mirrors have 6 wires. The car has 5 on each side (one white/red)
There are two options to solve the 6 wires to 5 problem, both methods accomplish the same thing electrically.
1: the mirrors White and Brown/black wires can be spliced together and connected to the cars one white/red wire.
2: the cars white/red wire can be made into a Y, creating two white/reds. One going to the mirrors White, and the other going to the mirrors Brown/black.

My pelican mirrors. Drivers side. Passenger side.
White. white/red. white /red
Brown/black. white/red. white/red
Brown/white. blue/red. blue/white
Black. Red/black. blue/black
Brown. brown. brown
Brown. green/grey. green/grey
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek911
I just put my aero mirrors together and wanted to share how I compressed the spring. I got this tip from either here or pelican, so I cant take credit for it, but it worked for me.

Before you put the spring assembly together, determine the keyed location for insertion and the 1/8 turn lock position and mark them on the bottom, as demonstrated by the arrows. (location in the picture is not exact, i just added it for an example). It is like a key, it is inserted and compressed in one position, then turned approximately 1/8 clockwise into the lock position while under compression. The slot is pointed to the red arrow while inserted and compressing, then while under compression turn the mirror assembly clockwise until the slot is pointed to the blue arrow into the locked position. (This will all make sense and be clear when you have the unassembled parts in hand.) Anyone that wants to disassemble a mirror, turn it counterclockwise 1/8 while under compression.

Put the 14mm allen socket on a 6 inch extension and secure the extension in a bench vise horizontally.

Put the mirror assembly on the 14mm allen and use all your body leverage and press the mirror assembly against the secured allen socket then turn the entire assembly into the lock position once compressed.

This may sound crazy, but it worked. My first mirror took about three attempts, the second mirror went in on the first attempt in less than a minute.

Wear clean nitrile gloves for grip, and athletic shoes with good grip. Hold the mirror securely, close to the thickest part so that there is no danger in breaking it. You will use your legs and body weight to compress the spring. It worked and was easy.
Perfect!!! I've read the how-to, I've been looking for pictures since it wasn't clicking in my head.

Any objections to copying this through the 928 forum?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

Knock yourself out. Forum stuff is open to anyone who can use it.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Runner4fun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what do you do with the 2 extra purple wires for the integrated temp sensor on the passenger side aero mirror? I'm guessing that I probably just do nothing with them, as my mirrors are going on a 1983 SC coupe (which never heard of an integrated temp sensor). But if there is some trick way to use them on my old SC, I'd love to know. thanks for any suggestions (I hope there are some replies). Thanks

Quick Reply: Aero/Teardrop Mirror Install - Wiring & Tips