Sponsored by:

PS Rack rebuild ...broke a part

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:12 AM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PS Rack rebuild ...broke a part

putting my 89 rack back together and the input shaft cap broke, must not have been flush when i started to bolt it down. the body is aluminum but the plate with the holes is cast..and brittle

does someone have an old rack laying around that you be wiling to part with the cap? the number on the cap is 7840 116

or, since the material looks like cast aluminum any tried & tested (proven) methods on how to repair cast aluminum? i don't want to try JB weld or another epoxy because if it doesn't work it won't come off that easy causing a problem for the next "possible" solution..know what i mean

thanks
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Since it affects the safety of the car (ability to steer), I would agree. Don't take a short cut to fix it. I would try to find a replacement original. If someone on RL doesn't have one, I would try to the used parts suppliers like DC Auto. If all else fails, perhaps a local welder can TIG weld it for you.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I did this to the first one I rebuilt. I was pissed at myself. Odds are if it broke it was because one of the seals kept the center core from sitting flush or you replaced the bearing in the wrong place keeping it from sitting flush. Make sure that you didn't damage one of the 4 white bands before you do anything. They can bind and keep it from sitting in the opening properly.

BTW I believe it is aluminum but not heat treated so it was not very strong to begin with. The grain structure does not look like it was heat treated and does not look like a 319 aluminum which is self aging.

You could probably use an aluminum epoxy http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/bl...d_epoxy_putty/ This should keep it from seperating and since it broke as they all do the other two bolts should hold it in place with enough force it should not leak with the clean fit and the epoxy on the third. The one I broke is still holding up on my friend's car after years of service. I used a little epoxy and bolted it in place to let harden. Seemed just as strong as the original piece.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default This is used by several members here on the board....

https://www.aluminumrepair.com

Watch the video they have... looks as if yours would be a simple repair...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
https://www.aluminumrepair.com

Watch the video they have... looks as if yours would be a simple repair...
Those are some pretty tall claims. How do you improve temper by using a torch? Ultimate tensile is achieved by processing under controlled conditions. A given period of time at an elevated temp just below the liquidus state followed by a very quick emersion or quench in water or oil and then aged. This part was never heat treated and is weak so it might work but on normal parts using a torch would kill the temper not improve it.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Quicksteel ordered..thanks Anthony

cool video but prob not right for this application..thanks anyways

Quick Reply: PS Rack rebuild ...broke a part