Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the symptoms of a leaky rocker shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What are the symptoms of a leaky rocker shaft?

Title is taken from the 911 forum over at Pelican Parts. Even though the post is old, it has a lot of info that is pertinent to an oil leak on my car.

This is a photo of the of the passenger side exhaust valve gear with valve cover removed showing an oily space where #6 plug lives.

The oil is fresh, and it's not from above from the inlet side of things, a loose spark plug, not a drip from the power steering pump running down between cylinders, not a leaky valve cover gasket.

I'm gonna check the torque on the rocker shafts, clean it up and reassemble, and drive it some more.

Question: Can I put RSR rocker shaft seals on the rockers shafts while the engine is in the car? Any other thoughts??

Last edited by mojorizing; 04-22-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be following this. Ive had the same issues with my car. Just a slight weep so my mechanic fitted the rsr seals while the engine was in the car. Unfortunately the leak is now worse even after fitting all new rocker shafts, work that one out! Hopefully i can get it leak free, third time lucky!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Actually, this leak has been a little elusive to me - been looking at all the wrong places. But after cleaning things up, it's got to be the rear rocker shaft seal on #6 exhaust.

Rotated the engine till #6 valve gear got slack and removed the shaft and rocker. It's a metal on metal seal with only a compression fit as the bolt is torqued. I'll go back with RSR seals on it and #5 cylinder.

It sounds like you mechanic sliced off the protruding edge of the seal as he was installing the rocker shaft.

I'll let you know how I fare.

Saw these on the internet as an alternative>>>http://www.autofarm.co.uk/engines/ai...ed/rockershaft

I think one could machine a compression nut about the same as autofarms solution out of a M12 allen head cap screw.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:36 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
It sounds like you mechanic sliced off the protruding edge of the seal as he was installing the rocker shaft.
Those seals are a "shear-to-fit" as they are installed and thats why they work so well.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Actually, this leak has been a little elusive to me - been looking at all the wrong places. But after cleaning things up, it's got to be the rear rocker shaft seal on #6 exhaust.

Rotated the engine till #6 valve gear got slack and removed the shaft and rocker. It's a metal on metal seal with only a compression fit as the bolt is torqued. I'll go back with RSR seals on it and #5 cylinder.

I'll let you know how I fare.

Saw these on the internet as an alternative>>>http://www.autofarm.co.uk/engines/ai...ed/rockershaft

I think one could machine a compression nut about the same as autofarms solution out of a M12 allen head cap screw.
I wish mine were a little more elusive. Got oil everywhere now! I now realise the slight weep i was trying to cure would have been better left alone! Just looked at the autofarm link. Looks like a fool proof way of sorting it. It does say its for 89 and earlier cars, any idea if they're the same?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Those seals are a "shear-to-fit" as they are installed and thats why they work so well.
Hi steve, have you any advice or handy tips for when it comes to fitting these? As theyre a shear fit does that mean theyre a one time use seal? Thanks, jim.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, Steve

Can't understand why these seals aren't standard on a street 911 engine......

@ porsche mania - maybe a rocker shaft has slipped out of it's place and you have gappage where you're not supposed to have a gap?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Thanks for the info, Steve

Can't understand why these seals aren't standard on a street 911 engine......

@ porsche mania - maybe a rocker shaft has slipped out of it's place and you have gappage where you're not supposed to have a gap?
I suppose thats worth checking. Just spoken to autofarm and the kit is the same for 964 even though the website says up to 89 model so i ordered one. They will pretty much guarantee it to be 100% leak free. If your interested ill put pictures up of the kit and will be able to report if its successfull in a week or two!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ hey mania - so how did it go?

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a leaky rocker shaft?