Cage: Full, half, weld or bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:18 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cage: Full, half, weld or bolt?

Hi all,

This issue has been bothering me for quite a while. I want to make clear that safety is by far the number 1 priority for me. I have family and a business to run, so the price is secondary.

But neither do I want a full on race car, that I can't use on a daily basis, yet I drive on tracks at least once a month.

I simply don't know which direction I should go with the cage for my car.

Weld or bolt roll bar?
How far should a cage reach? Can just parts of it be welded and the rest removable?
Attached Images     
Old 04-21-2016, 06:09 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Anything that goes ahead of the front seats' headrests is a big no-no on the street.

Beyond that, bolt on is MUCH simpler to implement, and to remove.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

matter half cage uses stock rear seat belt holes, to me is the best for road use.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Half cage welded in is what I'm doing.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what cage is this? Im interested.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks similar to this: http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...onal_bars.html

Unless this is a real track rat that you don't plan on converting back to street duty, I wouldn't do a weld in approach. Removing a weld in is a major hassle.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Bolt in cages are really nothing more than a harness bar. on a 997 which has substantially stronger structure i'm more comfortable with a design like this. A welded solution if you're looking for proper safety is a requirement on these older cars (in MY opinion). Specifically in a roll over. A proper rear cage welded to the b pilar and welded to the frame and to the rear frame (not the deck sheet metal) will help substantially protect against a roof collapse.

So if safety is your top concern, a full welded cage with a halo seat, but driving on street is really not idea.
Next best would be a rear welded cage with halo seats, hans, helmet, harnesses, etc.

I'm looking at an option that may allow me to use couplers to install side bars and head bars when on track, remove them for street.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by biggynuts01
what cage is this? Im interested.
From a shop next to my engine builder. He is supposed to make it.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So if safety is your top concern, a full welded cage with a halo seat, but driving on street is really not idea.
Next best would be a rear welded cage with halo seats, hans, helmet, harnesses, etc.
You see my problem exactly. It isn't all that easy just removing parts of the roll cages either. It's a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Undutched; 04-22-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
Can just parts of it be welded and the rest removable?
For my Heigo half-cage, the spreader plates are welded in and then the cage bolts to this. So even though it's marketed as a weld-in cage, you can remove the cage by unbolting it. The spreader plates would remain though.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

As with everything it depends what the end goal is. I race Honda Integras in a syndicate with other Porsche Owners. Because one of us had raced 944s and had serious accidents we went with a full welded in cage. While it makes the car safer it makes it almost unusable for anything else. When I asked a race car builder if I should improve my 964 safety with a half cage for track days he said it was largely pointless as the 964 is strong and a half cage wouldn't protect me against being hit side on or in front which was relatively unlikely on a track day anyway. To help prove the point about strength a 964 had a brake fade at the end of the main straight. It went through a sand trap at 120km/hr, hit the tyre barrier and went over it, finally hitting a digger outside the track. The driver walked away.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 04-22-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Cage: Full, half, weld or bolt?