Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! really bad noises & stranded car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM
jmroach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys. the belt is slipping. i wasn't torquing it too hard, but i may strip it back enough to get a wrench on the crank nut itself. seems like i could get a better feel for how much pressure i'm putting on it that way anyway.

i'll try draining the oil and pulling the valve covers. how about pulling the timing chain covers as well? with the exhaust and heat shields pulled, it doesn't look like it would be too much more work to pull them as well.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Timing covers are deceptive. If you have access or can rent a borescope pull the bottom plugs and inspect each cylinder. Barring that pull the cam covers and look for loose parts. Do NOT put a bunch of pressure on the crank, pull the bottom plugs and is should turn effortlessly. (Make sure in the rush you take it out of gear) if the motor is jammed try turning it backwards. A blown up clutch can get jammed against the bellhousing
Old 04-18-2016, 11:28 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Update: drained the oil and both of the plug magnets were clean. I'll probably pull the valve covers tomorrow evening or borescope th cylinders.

Confirming: there is no clutch inspection port, right? There is the port above the slave, but you can't see the clutch plate, right?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Another update:
- Tried counter-rotating the engine to free- no luck.
- Removed intake & exhaust valve covers on both sides and no sign of damage.
- Removed both timing covers (the pass side sure is a pain!) and no sign of damage.

Haven't gotten my hands on a borescope yet. I'll be placing a call to Bob Farmer tomorrow to see if he has any ideas. I still have my fingers crossed for the clutch or something else benign.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a problem with your starter and the flywheel ring gear some how got locked together. Try to remove the starter to see if you can turn the engine.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Did you take the plugs out of both sides? Or just the lower plugs? I would take them all out. Careful not to drop dirt in the holes. But turning the motor over by hand with the plugs in wont be easy.

Good luck w it.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 AM
jmroach
Intermediate

Thanks, Goughary. I have only taken the bottom plugs out, but it will be easy enough to pop the intake-side ports out as well. Thanks for the suggestion--i'll give it a try.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

I wouldn't remove your upper plugs. With the lowers out, you are not really fighting compression. And even if you were, you'd be able to move the motor a bit regardless.

I agree that you may have a starter that has inserted itself into your ring gear.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Another update: pulled the starter and still can't get the engine to move much. it actually seems (but i might be imagining it) like it may be a touch more freed (moving ~5deg) judging from the cam gear.

what does "inserted itself into the ring gear" mean exactly? there was a touch of wear, really just shiny teeth i guess on the front 1/2 of the teeth of the starter.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

And your positive it is out of gear?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A long shot, but are you sure that the fan and alternator pulleys both turn? You mentoned you could move the fan, but if the alternator had seized it'd stop you turning the engine over.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:34 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

@J Richard-- yes, positive its out of gear. Note that the car does roll freely in neutral (and had to put the e-brake on to remove the 1/2 shaft to get to the starter).
Old 04-22-2016, 07:02 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing chain fail and subsequent jam? IIRC it's possible to pull them with the engine in the car, though the AC bracket on the passenger side will make it tougher.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:00 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Found it! I guess it's better than some alternatives, but I still feel better knowing what it is and that I don't have to rebuild the engine.

I noticed that the CV boot on the driver's side was perished and that the cloth heater tubes were dry rotted. I removed the 1/2 shaft and tube and this bolt and the scar it left behind were staring me in the face:

The picture is looking back and toward the center of the car from the driver's side.

Is that the flywheel?
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Wow, you got so lucky that didn't blow out the side of the bellhousing. If you can get to the flywheel ring gear you may be able to free the bolt. And identify where it belongs.

That is the side of the clutch cover. Depending on the head, that bolt it could be one of the cover bolts...

Last edited by J richard; 04-25-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Help please! really bad noises & stranded car...